• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding with a disability (1 Viewer)

Poetry? NAh Just a few lines that rhymed!
If you want poetry then ask Geraldine, now that could be worthwhile, I'm just a rhyming ditty type, not a true poet! I used to be able to spout it though in the public speaking style not as a writer, just thought a few lines on the spur of the moment would give you a bit of cheer though! Glad to see you here!

rigging

We all have to adjust to what we have.I'm out there with one hand but,I want all the goodies.It's expensive for me to give up my one and only hand.I've got a cam.bins and a small scope. The cam and bins can hang from the neck that makes the right hand busy carrying the scope.The right shoulder is open for work.I found a seasoned sailor and presented the problem to him."Make me a sling I can flip over my shoulder and carry the scope and pod.This fellow is a skier and had an unwanted pair of suspenders from a pair of ski pants for the sling.As all sailors do he had a length of light dacron line that he used to tie the suspender to the neck and one leg of the pod making it a shoulder slung unit.It isn't pretty except the black suspender does match the color of scope and pod.It works pretty well. We all have an idea of what we may need to get us into the field. Find people that can help engineer your thoughts and make it work.Thanks Gene!
Sam

Hi Sam, Glad your sling is working for you. You get some nice shots with your setup! More power to you. Keep the faith. Bob

Screech said:
Hi Sam, Glad your sling is working for you. You get some nice shots with your setup! More power to you. Keep the faith. Bob
Hi BobThanks for the kind words.You may get to see the set up as I do plan to return to that birding paradise called New Jersey.See you at the Forsythe.
Sam

samuel walker said:
We all have to adjust to what we have.I'm out there with one hand but,I want all the goodies.It's expensive for me to give up my one and only hand.I've got a cam.bins and a small scope. The cam and bins can hang from the neck that makes the right hand busy carrying the scope.The right shoulder is open for work.I found a seasoned sailor and presented the problem to him."Make me a sling I can flip over my shoulder and carry the scope and pod.This fellow is a skier and had an unwanted pair of suspenders from a pair of ski pants for the sling.As all sailors do he had a length of light dacron line that he used to tie the suspender to the neck and one leg of the pod making it a shoulder slung unit.It isn't pretty except the black suspender does match the color of scope and pod.It works pretty well. We all have an idea of what we may need to get us into the field. Find people that can help engineer your thoughts and make it work.Thanks Gene!
Sam
Sam, I really applaud you for this thread and opening up the way you have. A lot of people, me included, just keep quiet about these things called disabilities for many reasons.... a big one for me is that I don't want to be pitied. But the way you've plowed ahead with this, only trying to give others tips and ideas to make things easier... that says a lot about you and I believe you deserve a huge pat on the back for this. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wish you all the best.

Tammie said:
Sam, I really applaud you for this thread and opening up the way you have. A lot of people, me included, just keep quiet about these things called disabilities for many reasons.... a big one for me is that I don't want to be pitied. But the way you've plowed ahead with this, only trying to give others tips and ideas to make things easier... that says a lot about you and I believe you deserve a huge pat on the back for this. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wish you all the best.
Tammie,I am very much in agreement with you here.Sometimes ,especially when trying to have goods delivered,and the store says well,can't you pop over and browse the store and collect,I just say that I have "somewhat limited mobility"and really would find it very inconvenient,and leave it at that,without going into all the ins and outs,as it were.That is how I always refer to myself if and when the occasion arises.Much simpler ,and it makes me feel better about things as well.
Sam,I take my hat of to you,you are very ingenious.

christineredgat said:
Sam,I take my hat of to you,you are very ingenious.
Christine, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I can hide my disability.... after the procedure two weeks ago, to look at me now, you'd never know anything was wrong.... unless you saw the emergency medication that stays within my reach at all times and goes with me wherever I go. I find it is much easier to keep quiet about it than to explain over and over again. But someone in Sam's position (or you, for that matter) where it's fully noticeable, can easily go the other way and just be miserable for the rest of his or her life. He's obviously not done that and is only trying to make things easier for those coming after him. To me, that says everything there is to know about him and that's what I applaud.
I wish more people would realize that life doesn't end or have to be bad just because there is a disability.... and the disability is NOT contagious either!
My mother had a burst aneurysm and stroke last year.... that is the biggest hurdle I've been working with her on... the fact that life hasn't ended because it's not the same or as easy as it used to be. She is now moving in with my husband and I this summer and I intend to help her have the best life she can. I'm going to try to get her into birding with me! She's already very anxious to see a pileated woodpecker after my descriptions. Again, with this too, I see myself as one of the lucky ones that after a serious illness like this, my mother is still able to get out of the nursing home and have the life she wants. Some prayers do get answered! :)

Sam, meeting someone fron BF would be great, maybe a side trip to Tuckerton a little further North.

Tammy, Christine- I try to use my disability as an educational tool to all those smokers who ask, "How many packs were you doing a day". When I tell them this is second hand smoke damage they can't believe it. If looking at me with a cannula up my nose attached to a o2 tank can get one to stop smoking , its well worth it.

Last edited:
Screech said:
Sam, meeting someone fron BF would be great, maybe a side trip to Tuckerton a little further North.

Tammy, Christine- I try to use my disability as an educational tool to all those smokers who ask, "How maney packs were you doing a day". When I tell them this is second hand smoke damage they can't believe it. IF looking at me with a cannula up my nose attached to a o2 tank can get one to stop smoking , its well worth it.
Well said, Bob, well said. I need you to talk to my family!!

Screech,I'll have to put my hubby Barry onto you,he will not stop smoking.I've even suggested it is unfair making the dog subject to passive smoking ,but to all of no avail.But he survived racing bikes,so he says he has a while longer to go yet!!

christineredgat said:
Screech,I'll have to put my hubby Barry onto you,he will not stop smoking.I've even suggested it is unfair making the dog subject to passive smoking ,but to all of no avail.But he survived racing bikes,so he says he has a while longer to go yet!!
Christine, you could try warning him that smoking is half the reason for my mother's illness... combined with high blood pressure. And she was only 59 years when she had the burst aneurysm and stroke last year.
Smoking has almost devastated my family in the past year with my mother's illness, the death of a favorite uncle at 57 on New Year's Day this year from smoking-related cancer and the major health deterioration of an aunt who now needs constant oxygen from smoking and she too is under 60 years old.
I wised up and quit almost 5 years ago after my heart attack at 32. I was told point blank by the cardiologist that if I didn't quit, I would not be around in 5 years' time. Well here I am, thankfully, and I intend to be here for a good many years and I refuse to let smoking take that away from me!

be careful

Tammie said:
Christine, you could try warning him that smoking is half the reason for my mother's illness... combined with high blood pressure. And she was only 59 years when she had the burst aneurysm and stroke last year.
Smoking has almost devastated my family in the past year with my mother's illness, the death of a favorite uncle at 57 on New Year's Day this year from smoking-related cancer and the major health deterioration of an aunt who now needs constant oxygen from smoking and she too is under 60 years old.
I wised up and quit almost 5 years ago after my heart attack at 32. I was told point blank by the cardiologist that if I didn't quit, I would not be around in 5 years' time. Well here I am, thankfully, and I intend to be here for a good many years and I refuse to let smoking take that away from me!
Disability visits us by many reasons.I recently lost a new friend who was on oxygen.I assumed when I first met him he had been a long time smoker I learned he suffered from a totally different disease than emphasyma.A woman I met in a group for disabled people only had partially formed arms.When asked "what happened to you"? She informed me that she was born that way as a result of Thalydimide
her mother was given while pregnet.Needless to say I was embarrassed.I don't have the answers.I don't think smoking is good for a body I also think there is a lot of other influences in our food,water and air that we can't avoid that are doing us in.Accidents of all type leave us maimed.We will begin meeting a new class of the disabled the war wounded or terrorist attack victim.Needless to say there are steps one can take to avoid injuring health.I look at someone else's disability as only that he/she can't walk or see It's not up to me to judge why not.I count myself lucky to have had parents who told me when I saw a didabled person to consider my good fortunes.I for one couldn't imagine a life without vision.Yes I do smoke because I enjoy it.
Sam

I have just returned from a disabled convention that went on on Saturday, I was surprised at how little people understand the true difficulties that can arise, this was a first time venture, which threw up some really tricky moments, we had this scholl for the day, and boy was it awkward! The wind howled and we had huge open spaces to get across, the greeting was in the sports hall "really echoy" bad news for the deaf or hard of hearing, the lunch was in the dining hall about half a mile away, and all the various events were being held in classrooms almost inaccessible in wheelchairs. I was definately one of the lucky ones as my buggy is very small and narrow, ands with a bit of driving skill I could gain access reasonably well, but the strain on the battery meant I only just had enough charge to complete the day, too many ramps to everywhere, and the paths were so broken up my buggy kept cutting out as it does when the occupant is at risk, and I had to lean over to press the reconnection switch! I just hope all the participants give their honest ideas to the organisers, and let them know what were the ups and downs of the day, as this was a very first time event!
I have already designed what I feel would be a very useful aid and I am now hoping to hear if this has been taken up, as I told several people about it and all felt it would be extremely useful, so I hope they really do make it!

Sam,yes I agree with you,if you enjoy a cigarette,and it improves your quality of life,okay.Obviously 60 a day aren,t going to help,but the odd one can be good for people who are very stressed without a smoke.My motto really is all things in moderation,but human nature bieng what it is that is not always easy.If Barry just smoked the odd cig,it wouldn't be so bad,but at least he smokes roll ups,so it could be worse.
Nina,sorry to hear your day was not very good,do hope you can market your "aid" and it can help some people.
Tammie,strange you should mention Aneursym,Barry's Mum who was a very heavy smoker collapsed and died from the result of the same,but she enjoyed her cigarettes,and at 85yrs,well,why stop her.The only time I was cross with her,was when she put a half lit cig end in her handbag,in front of a calor gas heater we had in the conservatory(she thought she had put it out,before wrapping it in a tissue) and the handbag was billowing smoke!!.I just walked past it and mentioned to Barry that his Mum's handbag was on fire.It was so funny.

I keep hoping my dear hubby will eventually give up his ciggies but he has to want to, to succeed, and that goes for all the smokers, I have given up myself but don't expect others to unless they really wish to.
Preaching to smokers is not something I do but often wish I could help those who can't help themselves.

As I see it, the main two problems with many disabilities are, 1. They are invisible, and 2. If you haven't experienced it, you can't know what it's like.
Sciatica is a prime example as Colin mentions, most excruciatingly painful and unremitting, but when you're young, you hear old people saying they've got a 'bit of sciatica' and it means nothing, but it breaks through your sleep and haunts your days. However much someone had told me that years ago, I wouldn't have been any the wiser!
Epilepsy is another. I have three sons, two of whom have grande mal epilepsy of various types. My oldest son was asked at a job interview how he had caught it! That son loves pike-fishing, sitting alone for days on a remote river bank. I used to worry when he was young, and try to stop him going, until I realised that he needed the seclusion to relax, and although he was more likely than the rest of us to get into difficulties, the alternative was a loss of his freedom!
He has now 'grown out of it' to the point where he is un-medicated.
My youngest son still suffers major seizures, but is an assistant manager in a department store, who just happens occasionally to have fits, and very rarely, altered states where he can wander off and behave uncharacteristically, laughing and swearing, but not knowing where he is. Fortunately, he is very good at his job, and his employers understand the problems.
I suffer from agorophobia, and panic attacks, which can be quite disabling at times, especially as no-one else knows what is going on.
And it gets boring having to explain to people all the time!
The main thing I try to keep in my head is that I can't see what anyone else is dealing with, so always make allowances on that basis, because you never know!
And people will always find something to laugh at me about, so I laugh first!

Nina P said:
I keep hoping my dear hubby will eventually give up his ciggies but he has to want to, to succeed, and that goes for all the smokers, I have given up myself but don't expect others to unless they really wish to.
Preaching to smokers is not something I do but often wish I could help those who can't help themselves.
That is my philosophy also, Nina. I couldn't quit until I was good and ready to and everyone I know is the same way. My brother is a strange one... he's a heavy smoker (although he won't admit to the 'heavy' part!), he jogs, he does karate, all that stuff. He thinks that because he does the physical part, it counteracts the smoking damage. Even after watching what my mother has been through, he still doesn't get it. It's amazing the power that cigarettes hold on people!
I try not to preach at people. If they ask, I tell them my family history. I used a medication to help me quit... only thing that worked and I would recommend it to anyone who could take it.
Getting back to the bird theme here..... quitting has made a huge difference there as well. It doesn't take much before I realize I've been running around outside for over an hour chasing birds in the yard. I no longer so 'oh wait, I want to have a smoke before I do such and such.' Now, the constant weight in my pocket is from my binoculars or my camera!

Hubby has be afraid to since his dad gave up and within six months suffered a massive stroke, then his mum quit and same thing happened so he's understandably concerned, so we saw Dr together and he suggested taking asprin to help thin the blood to quit when he's ready, I expect he'll use the patches, I did try with all the aids, but kept going back so last time I went cold turkey, boy that hurt!! But now I'll never try going back, the pain has lingered to remind me.
I'd like to know what other birders have used to either make or get made, to carry their bins, scope, tripod and camera all at the same time? I have lightweight tripod, but heavy scope, light camera, but spare battries can get heavy too, but my bins I hang around my neck, but they do get in the way of the controls on the buggy, so much so, I have found myself in reverse without realising the switch has been hit! I live very dangerously sometimes!

Nina P said:
I'd like to know what other birders have used to either make or get made, to carry their bins, scope, tripod and camera all at the same time? I have lightweight tripod, but heavy scope, light camera, but spare battries can get heavy too, but my bins I hang around my neck, but they do get in the way of the controls on the buggy, so much so, I have found myself in reverse without realising the switch has been hit! I live very dangerously sometimes!
Nina, you sound totally dangerous on that contraption!! ;)

Tammie said:
Nina, you sound totally dangerous on that contraption!! ;)

Not nearly as dangerous as some of the drivers on our roads - still driving at excessive speeds, with a mobile phone clamped to an ear, in spite of recent legislation in the UK!!! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back