• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wife and Toddler Friendly birding nr Settle (1 Viewer)

ChrisLuv

Improving Birder
Hi,

Staying at Rathmell near Settle next week, will have the wife and my 18 month year old son. Any nice areas where we can all visit, with friendly paths and a decent chance of a bird or two?

Bolton Abbey Woods sounds a good bet.
Also Stocks Reservoir/Gisburn Forest isn't too far away (is that in Lancashire?).

Any other ideas?

Any help appreciated. Can't wait B :)

Chris

Stocks is in Lancashire, but used to be in Yorkshire.

There is a hide there which is only a fairly short walk from a car park. There should be some good stuff there over the spring including several Ospreys, though next week is clearly on the early side for spring migrants.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, yes timing not brilliant but I do have a weekend in April down in Norfolk as compensation to look forward to. That should be better timing-wise for Spring migrants.

Thanks for the info on the hide, I'll almost certainly be heading that way as it looks like they do bike hire round Gisburn Forest, so will be a good place to stop and rest.

Bolton Abbey has got the paths, nearly all are pram friendly but as with Stocks it's going to be a little early for the migrants. River and woods should hold dipper, grey wagtail, goosander, treecreeper, nuthatch, all the usual tits, great spotted and green woodpeckers. If you are lucky there's chance of roosting tawny owls in the wood and mandarin duck on the river.

Thanks Keith, sounds like Bolton Abbey might keep everyone happy then too; nice walk, birds what could be better...a real ale pub nearby maybe.

I'll do some of my own research into that one.

Cheers for the reply.

Leighton Moss isn't too far away.

My worry with Leighton Moss is that there may well be some "serious" birders (for "serious" read grumpy) in the hides, etc. They might not appreciate a toddler casting his opinions on the birds.

I've never been so I'd love to visit but perhaps when he's a bit older.

Chris

Leighton Moss is good for the kids as far as Lilian Hide, roughly 50 yards from the car park. Lilian has a great big picture window looking across the water so all the birds are relatively easy to see, kids love that. The other hides are a decent walk away so less toddler friendly, although most of the paths are decent hard-core.
As to grumpy birders, I don't think at Leighton you need to worry about those as the reserve gets visited on a regular basis by school groups, most locals know this and are no longer bothered by youngsters.

Hi Keith,

Like the sound of that picture window - might give it a go and see what its like.

Cheers for the advice
Chris

Another vote for leighton ,have stayed at settle in the past theres an A road that takes you within a few miles of the site A65 . :t:

Thanks to all the replies. We had a great week. Count of 72 birds for the week - not bad for a non-birding holiday with little lad in tow all week.

Full details and a few photos at this address but here's a quick review:

Bolton Abbey - highly recommended, lovely walk (we went from bottom to top and back - which was an all day walk). Great for kids too. No Tawny Owl sadly, but we did get several Goosander, Kingfisher, (3) Dipper, Treecreepers and Nuthatch (several) - to name a few.

Gisburn Forest/Stocks Reservoir - Red-Breasted Merganser, Coal Tit, Marsh Tit, Goldeneye, Oystercatcher, Nuthatch

Malham Cove - My first record of Wheatear this year.

Tossside to Rathmell Road - Male Merlin

Leighton Moss\Morcambe Bay - Thanks to the understanding people who put up with the shouts of "hurray" from my lad, and the load shouts of "bird" whenever we saw anything. He really enjoyed it - as did we. We saw Marsh Harrier (blob in distance), Snow Geese (x3), Spotted Redshank, Avocet, Chiffchaff and Pintail.

Old Moor (on way home) - My first record of Sand Martin this year and a Water Rail briefly from the reedbed screen.

Cheers,
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back