• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arca Swiss Primer (1 Viewer)

Kevin Conville

yardbirder
The subject comes up now and then as to how to keep spotting scopes from loosening from either a tripod head platform or from a plate that attaches to a tripod head.
The ED50 cannot tolerate the brute force method as it will eventually damage the insert in the foot.
Larger scopes have enough weight to often overcome the screw and friction pad attachment on many plates causing them to rotate.
The Manfrotto plates that use a pin in addition to a screw help quite a bit if your scope's foot has a hole for a pin, though even they can loosen eventually.

The answer, I find, is just use Arca Swiss compatible clamps and plates.

Pic 1 shows an Arca type clamp in it's native habitat, in this case a Markins ballhead.

Pic 2 shows an Arca type clamp mounted on a Manfrotto 3130 (128 now) using a plastic spacer.

Pic 3 shows an Arca plate in it's more common setting, mounted to a long lens. Notice how the lip catches the back edge of the foot. This prevents any movment.

Pic 4 shows the same type plate on an ED50.

Pic 5 shows an Arca plate on an ED82.

There are many manufacturers of Arca compatible components and while they aren't inexpensive, they work better than anything else. The better manufacturers as Really Right Stuff, Markins, and Kirk makes specific plates for SLR camera bodies as well

Attachments

• Markins.jpg
    Markins.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 3130.jpg
    3130.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 379
  • 400mm.jpg
    400mm.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 159
  • ED50.jpg
    ED50.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 159
  • ED82.jpg
    ED82.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Here's a detail of how I mounted the Arca clamp to the 3130 head.
I drilled one hole through the recess of the head and plastic spacer to utilize a 1/4-20 bolt to thread into the existing threaded mount hole in the clamp.

In addition to the above, I also drilled and tapped another 1/4-20 hole into the clamp. I drilled another clearance hole in the head's recess and spacer to use another bolt for extra security and anti-twist.

This assembly can be taken apart and revert back with no damage or reduced function to the head for use with Manfrotto plates, if desired.

Attachments

• 3130a.jpg
    3130a.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back