• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

chiffchaffs (1 Viewer)

terryeyre said:
at least 5 singing chiffchaffs singing in woodland near alton towers today.

I had at least 5 singing at the local patch today in Fazackerley. none showing though. they're starting to get the fences ready for the Grand National as well, on a seperate note.

I heard my first Chaff Chaffs near Red Lane Flash at Sandbach on Saturday 17th March. I have read somewhere that they are present all year round in parts of the West Country.

SW

I've had one every day since last Thursday taking greenfly from a Rose Bush in the garden. My garden is very small (c. 12 by 20 ft) and there is hardly any cover in the area and no parks that near by. So, was really pleased to see it. It's very tame too stood about 10 foot away from it yesterday watching it go about it's business
Adam (Portsmouth)

I heard 5 chiffchaff singing at Pennington flash last Wednesday. managed to see 3 of them and got my first close up photograph of the season as the bird for once was very low down. My earliest yet!

heard my first on th 14th March, where 6 were counted in a small peice of woodland, but since then its gone very quiets again there?

Krispo said:
I had at least 5 singing at the local patch today in Fazackerley. none showing though. they're starting to get the fences ready for the Grand National as well, on a seperate note.

They should name a horse 'collybita' in honour!

I had a huge flock of mixed waders at the Alt estuary at Hightown today.

Heard our first way out West here today. Can't gaurantee it's the earliest yet but seems likely. Had reports on Carmethenshire Bird Club sightings pages of others in the last few days. Guess some spring migration arrivals are early. Just hope we don't get a late cold snap that spoil things!

Last edited:
Ian Hamiltan said:
heard my first chiffchaff 13 march.been out today had 4 singing in a small area of
north hylton.

Two singing today in the railway cutting just west of Telford Central Station that weren't singing there yesterday.

There appears to have been a large influx overnight in mid wales as this morning birds were heard chiff chaffing (you cant call it singing can you?)all around my local area.My first bird was on the 15th march

Haven't had any singing Chiffchaffs but there was an over wintering bird (or an extremely early returnee) that I've seen a couple of times since early February near Beverley, east Yorkshire.

Heard my first singing Chiffchaff this year at the same place and same time that it was in last year. Not had any Willow Warblers yet, had one at Moore NR at this time last year.

Had the first one singing in my garden on Saturday. Got a good view of it out of the upstairs window.

Not bad, seeing as I very very rarely see any birds in the garden at all!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back