• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want to upgrade my 350D (1 Viewer)

nikovich

Hi guys,

I think its about time I upgraded my trusty old Digital Rebel Xt.
It has served me well and still works fine ( as I type this) but who doesn't want more megapixels and better focus ability, not to mention a bigger viewfinder?

So, my budget is maybe not enough to quite stretch to a 40D yet and certainly not to the upcoming 50D.

Would it be worth me just saving for a few more months, or does anyone have any good things to say about the XSI ? 12mp , but how can it be cheaper than the 40D ?

Thanks for any replies, advice.

I agree about the lens situation - though your ava hints that you have a 100-400mm (looks push pully zoom to me).

The move from 350D to 450 is (in my opinion) not worth it since you are just moving from one low end DSLR to another. Better is to either invest in lenses or save up longer so you can get your hands on something like the 50D where you would notice a significant improvement over your current kit.

Just had a look at your pbase gallery and it is looking pretty good to me. As the other guys have said it may be worthwhile upgrading your lens/lenses whilst, if possible, saving a bit for your next camera ?

Thanks guys. I use the Canon 100-400 L and have had great results so far.
My Blog is a better indication of my recent work.
My aim was to get a camera with more megapixels, as significant cropping considerably affects the detail of the subject if it is far away as I'm sure you all know.
The 350D, while and excellent low-end model, does act sluggish from time to time, plus the viewfinder is quite small. The XSI has a bigger viewfinder , bigger lcd and a faster performance by all accounts.
The reason I wanted to upgrade to that was because of my budget, which won't stretch to the price of a 40D body.
A new lens at this point isn't an option at all as I would want a 500mm prime, and that is way out of my price range for now.
I guess there are not many XSI users out there ? :)

In spite of what the naysayers say, the 40d is a really nice upgrade from the 350d (the way I went). I'd hang on for a while, the 40d's price should drop dramatically once the 50d is freely available.

I still use the 350d, and I must admit I've never noticed mine to "act sluggish once in a while".

I'd hang on for a while, the 40d's price should drop dramatically once the 50d is freely available.
Not too sure about that Alan, the 50D is not a replacement for the 40D and Canon has said that the 40D will remain in production. If the price fell dramatically it would be less than the xxx bodies.
Having said that I am sure there will be some good bargains for second hand 40D's as people upgrade to the 50D.

Not too sure about that Alan, the 50D is not a replacement for the 40D and Canon has said that the 40D will remain in production. If the price fell dramatically it would be less than the xxx bodies.
Having said that I am sure there will be some good bargains for second hand 40D's as people upgrade to the 50D.
Canon said exactly the same thing about the 350d when the 400d was released ;)

They did not in the UK - the 400D was a direct upgrade/replacement for the 350D.
You set me off on a search (not too easy several years down the line). Here is an indirect (UK) reference to it:

"Of course, I have been referring to the 400D as the 350D's replacement. I feel certain that this will eventually be the case, but for the time being the 350D remains in the line up and the 400D will carry a price premium over the 350D."

http://dpnow.com/2946.html

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back