• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

Cheers.
Yes, Nick - pale grey pastel - I can't resist a bit of scribble. . . . .
. . . and I was just packing up this sketchbook when I spotted a little drawing that appealed, so I got our a household decoratoring brush and slapped on a background tone around aquick outline;

Attachments

• goldendrake.jpg
    goldendrake.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 90
again gorgeous - how do you fix the pastel onto a watercolour? Can you use fixative or will it do horrible things to the paint? (Guess who got a box of pastels for christmas)

beautiful little sketch!
re the water and pastel, I often use this to underpaint a full pastel, ie I lay on pastel colors on my board, and then mix them into a paint with water, some artists use turps, it makes a watercolor like painting, then I start my pastel on top, it's makes a clay like surface that really stays put.

Those goldeneyes are insanely good!!!! You really captured them - the painting is so full of life. You mentioned snow geese - I can't wait to see that. I am working on some too.

Funny how such familiar birds such as, say, geese could be so b100dy difficult to catch right. Spent an hour or so working through the sketches and a few snaps to see if anything materialised. To be honest, I'm not sure it has . . .
Oh, Peter - thanks for the comments but I have to disappoint you; the 'snow geese' are just 'geese-in-the-snow' - we don't get that many real snow geese over here. Unfortunately!
BTW - love the wigeon painting - utterly gob-smacking!

Attachments

• geese1.jpg
    geese1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Funny how such familiar birds such as, say, geese could be so b100dy difficult to catch right. Spent an hour or so working through the sketches and a few snaps to see if anything materialised. To be honest, I'm not sure it has . . .

Superb Tim, love the pencil sketches, the movement is really quite exquisite - been to the pub so not sure I've spelt that right?

Had a really informative conversation with Yoda himself, Mr LJ,

He reckons he's struggled all along to capture the essence of a drake Mallard and actively pursues and studies others work. Constantly trying, he still feels he has yet to capture that special magic :eek!:

I've never looked at a Mallard in quite the same way since!

I like your Geese.

hmm, Greylags - so familiar yet so far - you've come a lot closer to catching that feel in them than I ever have Tim. When you see them and draw them they seem to be exaggerated in areas you wouldn't expect and nobody dares to draw them the way they see them. Same goes for all geese - Brents especially look like chess knights! In any case, yours look a hell of a lot better than the one I saw today with its sagging belly looking like it should have been on a table long ago.

Just in case the inordinate amount of rum I've consumed (nearly typed consulted - still holds true!) tonight leaves any doubt- these are quite wonderful geese - and the foreshortening on some of them is phenomenal - I like to draw upending geese for a very specific reason!

LOL, No not yet!

Really like the head study, top left, great feeling of alertness and slight angst, for me you've got something there.

Just great! I love the one page studies you do, it has you feel the process of seeing. It makes for a better understanding of nature, the bird and seeing as such. I really respect what you do.

Well I've been busy digesting the Goldeneyes so had to pass the geese by for a bit. But everyone else is right: these are very striking and sensitive sketches. It just goes to show that even something as common as geese can be exceptionally striking when really looked at and portrayed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back