• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

Hope you don't 'dip' the Dipper Sue!

Two new species for the year's Garden list today, I'd noticed the hazelnuts were ripening hereabouts so no surprise to hear the rasping call this morning of
73 Nutcracker
This evening I was checking out all the passing Common Swifts and hirundines and was rewarded with a single
74 Alpine Swift
Two in a day in July, quite a surprise!

Hope you don't 'dip' the Dipper Sue!

Two new species for the year's Garden list today, I'd noticed the hazelnuts were ripening hereabouts so no surprise to hear the rasping call this morning of
73 Nutcracker
This evening I was checking out all the passing Common Swifts and hirundines and was rewarded with a single
74 Alpine Swift
Two in a day in July, quite a surprise!
Thanks, Richard. Not really sure how realistic it is to get one. It's quite a drive from the camp-site to where some were listed on ebird from 2004. LOL Even so, if I can do a day trip, I might get lucky. I haven't been birding for so long, I'm just happy to go and be in a different environment and maybe add something to my pitiful 2017 list. You have some really great garden birds.

Camarina Bird Project, Spain

We're moving to the mighty mountains of Ronda (in southern Spain) and can't wait to start our yard year list. Perhaps 30 by the end of the year?

We call it the Camarina Bird Project: we'll build a water pond, nests (for the next season), feeders and a bird hide.

We promise to edit a post and edit video tutorials to illustrate the project for those interested. (Keep updated mailing us: [email protected])

Attachments

• melodious warbler.jpg
    melodious warbler.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 52
We're moving to the mighty mountains of Ronda (in southern Spain) and can't wait to start our yard year list. Perhaps 30 by the end of the year?

We call it the Camarina Bird Project: we'll build a water pond, nests (for the next season), feeders and a bird hide.

We promise to edit a post and edit video tutorials to illustrate the project for those interested. (Keep updated mailing us: [email protected])

Ooh lucky you, Black Wheatears and Red-billed Choughs no doubt will feature!

Here the falcon finally turned up today, drifting menacingly down towards the village and all those juvenile House Martins...:eek!:

75 Hobby

Last edited:
I'm not jealous.

Honest.

Early am I can hear sheep - which occupy the same area that I saw a Little Owl . Now if one were to call loud enough...

Not a year bird, but my raptor news on my plot is the successful breeding of Marsh Harrier - in my rapidly developing reedbed, three youngsters flying yesterday. For someone who grew up in the UK at a time when Marsh Harriers were still quite exotic things at the end of special trips across to North Norfolk, I still need to pinch myself that these are on my land. This was actually closed canopy woodland when I bought the plot, now has regular booming Bitterns in spring, breeding Sedge Warblers et al.

Not a year bird, but my raptor news on my plot is the successful breeding of Marsh Harrier - in my rapidly developing reedbed, three youngsters flying yesterday. For someone who grew up in the UK at a time when Marsh Harriers were still quite exotic things at the end of special trips across to North Norfolk, I still need to pinch myself that these are on my land. This was actually closed canopy woodland when I bought the plot, now has regular booming Bitterns in spring, breeding Sedge Warblers et al.

It's getting to be a real world hotspot for wildlife - if in England it would be a rival for Minsmere!

On a far smaller scale my new pond has attracted a Frog!!
I'm right chuffed!

Another fairly local Hobby today c 3kms away - again carrying a Swallow as if straight to nest. Disappeared before I could find the site.

Edit: this am : pair and nest found!!

Last edited:
Exotic visitor

It's getting to be a real world hotspot for wildlife - if in England it would be a rival for Minsmere!

On a far smaller scale my new pond has attracted a Frog!!
I'm right chuffed!

Another fairly local Hobby today c 3kms away - again carrying a Swallow as if straight to nest. Disappeared before I could find the site.

Edit: this am : pair and nest found!!

Surely only a matter of time before it comes over your place H:t:
Best bird recently was the male Honey Buzzard which kindly flew towards, and then circled around over the house on Friday evening, still waiting to see the juvenile(s) but I can hear calling from the forest still.
Perhaps of interest, the neighbours found a Death's-head Hawkmoth which was trying, but failing to squeeze into one of their beehives, a lifer for me (see photo).

Attachments

• IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 51
Nice Death's Head! I have two bee hives, which were empty, but I noticed in the last days are now both occupied by busy bees. I would have no objection if a Death's Head wished to pay one of mine a visit.

Still waiting the arrivals of Nutcrackers, should be fairly soon now. In the meantime, juvenile Marsh Harriers still in the reedbed, joined today by two Great White Egrets.

If it's any consolation H2 they have been present last two summers at least closer than 3km to my garden and I've seen one once from here
Luv Dave

Thunderstorms on and off since 5am this morning and noticeably cooler, but a break in the clouds this early evening gave me my first 'seen' Common Redstart and Wryneck of the year as I was doing some washing up. But even better, and most unexpected at our altitude, what I thought "funny-shaped and unusual flying style Green Woodpecker" flew off from the neighbours' cherry tree and off up into the canopy of the forest edge - of course, dopey me, a Golden Oriole, a garden tick!
Migration time is my only chance of seeing lowland-breeding birds like this,at our last place at 1,100m asl the only one I had was on on a misty May morning, here's hoping for more surprises in the weeks to come (there are two Cinerous/Black/Monk Vultures(Nutty? What's the species' name this week?) in the area too if the clouds would lift!)

77 Golden Oriole

On the 7th a small Phylloscopus flew past in the wind into the depths of Fig trees - yesterday I heard it call well - no sign today but very strong and gusty winds continuing. Its forecast to be calm so hopefully there will be more as expected now, as well as a selection of other migrants soon ;)

69. Iberian Chiffchaff

This week just keeps on giving, thanks to this cool, showery spell we're seeing a good movement of Redstarts (four in view simultaneously yesterday) and Spotted Flycatchers through. While showing my wife one of the latter a smart young Pied Flycatcher flew into the same tree, the first I've seen since we were up in Wari's neck of the woods in Finland last May. Half an hour later there was a Garden Warbler in the same place, first one we've had here since we arrived in July last year :t:

77 Pied Flycatcher
78 Garden Warbler

No official list. Main birds:
Two calling corncrake and heard a hen crex calling her chicks. Grasshopper warbler. Drumming snipe over fen. Chough bred, but nest failed. 15 twite in my kale crop now.

A flock of 11 Cormorants flying high NW over the garden more than doubled my all-time local patch total for the species!

Hard to guess where they were heading, my garden isn't on a flightline from anywhere to anywhere for them (which is I guess why they're so rare here - just a couple of km away, they're dozens a day flying along the main river).

Didn't see last year, however 2 migs shot into the Ash tree...lost one, but nailed "tother".....no.73 Common Whitethroat. Have been trying to nail the feeding hirundines that have frequented my "airspace" these last few days, there has to be the odd Sand Martin, however nailing one of those high flying "whizzers" is another matter. Promise to keep trying :)

Ah, I dream of seeing a Sand Martin up here one day, failed during ten years at the last place, surely the odd one migrates through mountain passes??
As for 'Mayo Corncrakes' mouth-watering local birds :eek!:

23 Griffon Vultures dobbing about this morning, I keep grilling them for that enormous, dark 'barn door' shape among them but no luck so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back