• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jizz or GISS? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Good to see an article in the latest edition of 'British Birds' (May 2018 Vol 111 p264-274) confirming that the birding term 'jizz' was first published by T A Coward in 1921 who heard it from an unidentified Irishman. They debunk the suggestion that it comes from the military term GIS/GISS - general impression and shape/general impression size and shape - which appears to be without foundation. Despite looking for references and asking relevant authorities they could find evidence that this term was ever used. They also unearth the fact that "jizz" was used in Ireland as early as 1900 as meaning "spirit" or "liveliness" which seems telling to me and the extension as it applies to bird ID a reasonable one (although they're less enthusiastic).

Personally I thought it was far from the best use of ten pages of BB, opinions will always vary.

I understand your point of view but I find such things fascinating perhaps because I'm a history/social studies graduate. I'd concede, however, that the most important paper in the magazine this month was on raptor persecution in the Dark Peak.

So now, thanks to a dear unidentified Irishman I can continue to use the term as jizz, like I always have but now without any guilty conscience. Cheers John :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back