• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"diagnosis not seen" for genus names in the Key A through S (1 Viewer)

Today's Key:
Geocichloides
(syn. Geokichla Ϯ not designated) Genus Geocichla Gould, 1836, ...
Designted by Wolters, in Die Vogelarten der Erde; see attached excerpt.

If relevant?
--

Attachments

• Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.409.jpg
    Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.409.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 12
"Diagnosis not yet verified"
● Allasma (L. Davis 1962 (Texas Journ. Sci. 14) or 1978 (Pan Amer. Studies 1))
● Annamornus (L. Davis 1962 (Texas Journ. Sci. 14) or 1978 (Pan American Studies, 1)).
● Diaphorasma (L. Davis 1962 (Texas Journal of Science, 14) or 1978 (Pan American Studies, 1)).
The Texas Journal of Science article is here:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/249272#page/88/mode/1up .
BHL says Date Scanned:
04/17/2018!
I do not see any new names.

Last edited:
I do not see any new names.
The Pan American Studies paper was announced in Ibis 121 (1979): 154, as:
DAVIS, L. IRBY 1978. Acoustic evidence of relationship in Caprimulginae. Pan Am. Stud. 1: 22-57.
Thirty three spectrograms of 24 forms help to divide the subfamily into ‘natural’ genera and species. Three new genera are proposed: Allasma (clara), Diaphorasma (donaldsoni) and Annamormis (rufus), type species’ names in brackets.
J.H.R.B.​
Thus this would indeed seem to be the thing we are looking for.
Note Annamormis, not Annamornus as reported by Cleere 2010 [here]. Same spelling (and source) in the 53rd supplement to the AOU check-list (2012) [here] (in the synonymy of Antrostomus Bonaparte 1838, here recognised as a valid genus):
Annamormis Davis, 1978, Pan American Studies 1:39. Type, by original designation, Caprimulgus rufus Boddaert.
Are we sure it's Annamornus that is correct ?
(Note also that apparently two new species were described by Davis 1978 (cf. details in Vuilleumier et al 1992 [here]); Cleere reported only one, but his account seems to be a mixture of both (scientific name of one, 'Allasma northi'; English name ('Kenya Nightjar') and possible identification (Caprimulgus pectoralis) that match what Vuilleumier et al reported for the other). I presume that Vuilleumier et al did not invent this second new species out of nothing; thus (to me) this suggests some problems in what Cleere reported about the paper's content.)

Last edited:
Thanks Laurent. In another thread Mr. Jobling says, Annamornus (but not yet convinced about this spelling) Davis, 1978, Pan American Studies, 1 (2)...
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3693314&postcount=40 . Seems his concern was warranted.
Annamormis doesn't really 'convince' me either, actually... I mean, I just can't guess what this spelling might be intended to mean, if (etymologically) correct.

The other two names are clearly of Greek derivation. (My guesses would be a bit different from what the Key currently proposes -- impossible to be sure without seeing the work, of course -- Diaphorasma, I think might be διάφορος, -ον, unlike/different + ᾆσμα, -ατος, song; Allasma, I think ἄλλος, -η, -ο, other/different + ᾆσμα, -ατος, song. This would be consistent with his classification being based on differences in song.)

Anna-something, on the other hand, really doesn't look like it could be Greek...
____
(And maybe it's not. Louie Irby Davis' wife was Anna May Davis, née Tarrence, 1900-1973 (e.g. [here] and [here]). But if the name is a dedication to her, perhaps Annamornis -- Anna M. + ὄρνις -- would indeed have been more logical/expectable...)

Last edited:
Cited here, on p.795 as:
Davis, L.I., 1979. Acoustic evidence of relationships in Caprimulginae. Pan Am. Studies 1, 22-57.
And here as; ditto (however 1978), but: "... relationships in Caprimulgidae." ... ?

Looks like we truly need to find that journal!

Apparently hard to find digitized, anyone who know where to find a copy? In real life.

Björn

PS. Laurent, I loved your "more logical" suggestion of the etymology of "Annamornis". Let's verify it!

I have booked a visit to the Ornithology Library at Tring for next month, and hope to resolve many of the outstanding queries/diagnoses not seen, including Pan American Studies.

[...]
NB. Euchlornis has been added to the list.
And possibly stricken off again ... ;)

The (first) Richmond card, here, on Euchlornis "de Filippi", leads us to Atti della ottava Riunione degli scienziati italiani, 1847 (here, in text, lower part of p. 449):
Il secondo, cui dà il nome di EUCHLORNIS dal predominio del color verde, ha per tipi ...
... a paper signed by Alessandrini, Bonaparte and Costa (on the next following page)!? Why the Richmond card attributed this name to "De Flilippi" is unknown to me (this said, with very, very, very little understanding of Italian; scusa).

However; also note the other two Richmond cards (here and here), which lead us to Filippo De Filippi's "Museum Mediolanense Animalia Vertebrata Classis II. Aves" (as of here, however no access). Which one was published first is also beyond my understanding.

If of any help?

Or maybe I just removed one book from the List, and added another ...

Björn
-

Last edited:
... a paper signed by Alessandrini, Bonaparte and Costa (on the next following page)!? Why the Richmond card attributed this name to "de Flilippi" is unknown to me (this said, with very, very, very little understanding of Italian; scusa).
The reason is that it is said, on p.449:
Il Dottor Defilippi propone due novi generi della famiglia degli ampelididi, sotto-famiglia de' cotingini, fondandoli sopra specie già conosciute e distinte per l'habitat, per la forma del becco, per la qualità delle piume, e delle remiganti. [etc.]
...and in this type of cases ([ICZN Art.50.2]):
50.2. Authorship of names in reports of meetings. If the name of a taxon is made available by publication in a report or minutes of a meeting, the person responsible for the name, not the Secretary or other reporter of the meeting, is the author of the name.

Last edited:
"Museum Mediolanense, Animalia vertebrata, Classis II, Aves, pubblicato a Milano nel mese di marzo 1847" (here)

Also mentioned here, again; Martii (March) 1847 ... but as "Musaeum ...".

However Catalogo del Servizio Bibliotecario Nazionale says; Titolo (Title): "Animalia Vertebrata. Classis 2., Aves / Museum Mediolanense" ... (here).

Clearly that book has precedence, as the Paper in Atti della ottava Riunione degli scienziati italiani refered to a meeting "del giorno 18 Settembre" (1846), published in August 1847 (see page prior to the Title page, here).

Back to square one!
-

Last edited:
Well done, Laurent! :t:

I´ve looked for it several times, the very last time about a month ago ...

Answer: Uploaded on "April 19, 2018". Fresh on the Internet. Wow!

Perseverance does it!

/B

Lugensa, Subgenus nov.

Today's HBW Alive Key:
Lugensa
(syn. Aphrodroma Ϯ Kerguelen Petrel A. brevirostris) Portmanteau of specific name Procellaria lugens Kuhl, 1820 (= syn. Aphrodroma brevirostris). Diagnosis not yet seen (Mathews 1942, Emu, 41 (4), 305).
Now seen! At least part of it ...
The Short-billed Petrel, formerly called Pterodroma brevirostris, now known as P. lugens of Kuhl 1820, has the bill very compressed on the sides. That character is shared by no other species of Pterodromine Petrel and it can be made a diagnostic character for a new subgenus Lugensa and be known as Pterodroma (Lugensa) lugens (Kuhl 1820) - GREGORY MATHEWS Sydney
Google Snippet view, here.

Enough?

Björn

Lugensa Mathews

Google Snippet view, here.
[pdf here]. (...really not much more than what can be seen in the snippet, though.)

(But, should this name really be a syn. of Aphrodroma...? Aphrodroma was proposed by Olson ([here]) on the premise that Procellaria lugens Kuhl, and therefore Lugensa Mathews (the type of which is lugens), did not apply to the Kerguelen Petrel. If Aphrodroma and Lugensa are synonyms, Lugensa has precedence and should be the valid name. Aphrodroma can be valid only if Lugensa is not its synonym.)

Last edited:
Laurent, the point you make is valid. However, in the Key I follow the nomenclature of the HBW & BLI Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the World, 1 and 2, and have added del Hoyo & Collar's comment therein (1, p. 380) under Lugensa.

Captain Cook’s journal:
1st February 1769
Off Cape Horn
First part, fresh Gales; latter, light Airs and Cloudy; P.M. found the Variation by several Azimuth to be 24 degrees 53 minutes East. At Noon sounded, but had no ground with 240 fathoms of line; hoisted a Boat out to try if there was any Current, but found none. The weather was such as to admit Mr. Banks to row round the Ship in a Lighterman's Skiff shooting birds.
Joseph Banks Journal (same date)
Calm this morn: went out in the boat and Killd Diomedea antarctica, Procellaria antarctica and turtur. Diomedaea antarctica the Black billd albatross is much like the common but differs from him in being scarce half as large and having a bill intirely black. Procellaria lugens the Southern shear water differs from the common one in being less and darker colourd on the back, but is easily distinguishd by his flight which is heavy, and two fascia or streaks of white under his wings which are very conspicuous when he flies.

Forster by Lichtenstein 1844:
Inter species huius generis a Kuhlio et Lalhamo recensitas

nullam video praeler P. griseam Gmelini, quae descriptioni huic For-

sterianae respondeat. Conferantur modo, quae Kuhlius de caudae for-

ma, remigum longitudine et pedum pictura perhibet cum Lathami

descriptione in synopsi et indice, praesertim ubi de specimine Leve-

riano (mento juguloque candidis insigni) loquitur. P t melanopus Gmel.

et Lath. fortasse nonnisi aetate a P. grisea differt.
Kuhl provided a drawing of Procellaria grisae (9) but not Pr. lugens.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/89679#page/427/mode/1up .
There are two images by Sydney Parkinson nos. 21 and 22 which would be nice to see.
Parkinson no 31 and 25
https://nhmimages.com/?service=asse...43,10073,10271,10058&basket_item_id=undefined .
https://nhmimages.com/?service=asse...10232,8165,8171,8159&basket_item_id=undefined .
Lesson Pr. brevirostris
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/111050#page/649/mode/1up .
Perhaps there needs to be a neotype.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1984-46702016000604003 .
https://archive.org/stream/biostor-75755/biostor-75755_djvu.txt .

Doris who's birds?

Here´s a small sequel of post #121, maybe worth considering ...

In Die Vogelarten der Erde (1975-1982), by Hans Edmund Wolters, we find the descriptions of the two all un-explained generic names: Dorisornis, on p.413, and Dorisella, on p.414 (OD's attached). The book itself is dedicated: "Den Andenken an meine Mutter" ...

Does anyone know if the name of Mother Wolters maybe was Doris? Or who this all unknow Doris possibly could have been?

Just curious (none of those names are included in my MS, of Swedish Common Bird names) ...

Björn

PS. Or possibly Dorothea? In the same book (on p.407) we also find "Planesticus lherminieri dorotheae nom. nov." (today's Forest Thrush subspecies Turdus lherminieri dorotheae). Also attached.
--

Attachments

• Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.413.jpg
    Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.413.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.414.jpg
    Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.414.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.407.jpg
    Die Vogelarten der Erde, p.407.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread