• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Vortex Optics next?? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

Since Eagle Optics closed up shop on Dec 31, 2017, you got to wonder if Vortex is next because aren't they basically one in the same company and share the same building??

I am interested in the NEW 2018 Viper HD 10 x 42 coming out shortly, but if they close up, there will be no support.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Absolutley no, Vortex is skyrocketing in business right now, they just moved into their new super huge headquarters in Barneveld a week ago.

I believe that Vortex bought all of Eagle optics assets.

Their sales to the gun optics segment is in itself massivley profitable.

Sending production of their best products to China sure left a bad taste in my mouth. But so many folks out there just want "a binocular" so I guess they have as good of a chance as any.

Without knowing the specifics of Vortex's financials I obviously can't say how well they'll stay in business. My gut feeling, however, is that they're in a great position. They have a great lineup of both binoculars and spotting scope. I'm not sure if anything they make could is the hands down best value for its price, but they don't make anything that's a terrible value as far as I've heard. They make some non-traditional models (15x50, 12x50), as well as all the normal stuff. They have great presence in brick and mortar stores, from my experience, which I suspect is crucial to selling to a lot of customers. I can't speak for their hunting products, but I think they're even more popular among hunters than birders or other optics users.

All in all, I'd say I'm not worried about Vortex at all.

Sending production of their best products to China sure left a bad taste in my mouth. But so many folks out there just want "a binocular" so I guess they have as good of a chance as any.

I got a China made Razor 8x42 recently and am impressed with build quality, optics and mechanics (this is my first Vortex bino), even when I compare it to my German and Austrian alphas. It was expensive, but in my view is worth its price every penny.

We have to get used to the fact that in the future, even expensive instruments are coming from China. Just see what has happened lately to the astro market: Those here who like to look at the night sky with binocular telescopes will know what I mean....

I feel the same way about Vortex, and have lost all respect for them. There's always something better for the same or less cost anyway.

Vortex has made a decent, competitive product at many price points for many years. Their move to Chinese manufacture isn't surpising. They are a large player in the optics market and from a business standpoint they'd obviously rather sell 100 units at $250 than 5 units at $800. I don't feel they are abandoning the high-end of the business, just trying to get more of the market share. However, I am a bit surprised they didn't keep the Razor production in Japan.
With their brand new facitlity, I doubt there is any intent on closing. It was my understanding that Eagle Optics was originally intended as an outlet for Vortex products and with the advent of so many other internet retailers it had outlived it's ability to turn a profit.

The key to Vortex optics is their stellar customer service and warranty. As long as the optical quality and construction don't suffer with the move to Chinese manufacture it shouldn't matter much as you can still get the optics fixed or replaced with no issues at any time.

That being said, I just picked up a set of 6x32 Vortex Viper HD's that were made in Japan while I could still find some. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, the move to the Chinese production is truly detrimental, the main lure of the Binocular was the made in Japan quality.

i simply do not understand why a rather large place like the usa empire does not have the education, skill base or other ability to make good optics. can they not make good glass? just beer bottles? is it because they freed their slaves and thus have to use cheap factories abroad? sold yourselves out it seems. the countries that lost the ww2 both germany and japan make the best optical devices you all say and now you disparage the chinese. well they certainly seem to make better 'things' than usa does. and better profit for your masters too. stop buying the chinese, japanese and german stuff and see if any americans have the ability to make them from amongst your educated class and manufacturing cities. cant be that hard.

i simply do not understand why a rather large place like the usa empire does not have the education, skill base or other ability to make good optics. can they not make good glass? just beer bottles? is it because they freed their slaves and thus have to use cheap factories abroad? sold yourselves out it seems. the countries that lost the ww2 both germany and japan make the best optical devices you all say and now you disparage the chinese. well they certainly seem to make better 'things' than usa does. and better profit for your masters too. stop buying the chinese, japanese and german stuff and see if any americans have the ability to make them from amongst your educated class and manufacturing cities. cant be that hard.

Fully agree with you - but your statement comes 70 - 80 years too late (and a lot has happened in these 70 years)

You guys have to understand something. American consumers are spoiled rotten. We (not me) have demanded high quality and cheap prices. That doesn't work very well, so what we're left with is cheap, throw away products that are relatively inexpensive.

The USA can make anything and everything anybody else can, but Americans are not willing to open up their pocket books..........cheap crap rules. Oh, and our libtard education system has been dumbing down American kids for decades now.

The USA can make anything and everything anybody else can, .

im not sure that is true except as fantasy, sorry. you need layers of education and skill, master craftsmen, apprentices, academic parallels, tool makers, lines of communication, materials supply and distribution. and will.

Hi,

Since Eagle Optics closed up shop on Dec 31, 2017, you got to wonder if Vortex is next because aren't they basically one in the same company and share the same building??

I am interested in the NEW 2018 Viper HD 10 x 42 coming out shortly, but if they close up, there will be no support.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks
Michael in NJ
Vortex isn't going anywhere. They are huge in the shooting side of their business. no worries.

Question and suggestion in 1 for you....

Why buy a Viper HD when for the same or less $$$ you can get a Meopta MeoPro which is a far superior product?

im not sure that is true except as fantasy, sorry. you need layers of education and skill, master craftsmen, apprentices, academic parallels, tool makers, lines of communication, materials supply and distribution. and will.

One only has to look at the US space programs to know that what jgraider says is true. But you aren’t the first person to wish negative things upon a country you’ve obviously never been to, and really know nothing about.

One only has to look at the US space programs to know that what jgraider says is true. But you aren’t the first person to wish negative things upon a country you’ve obviously never been to, and really know nothing about.

That's why I didn't respond to this dullard. Well said PhilR.

sorry you took it like that, wasn't intended in the way you see it.
i have highly intelligent friends, children and family there of varied backgrounds and politics, i reflect their observations; mainly as a response to the comments about japanese and german optics being taken over by chinese. indeed, if you can go to the moon and drop bunker missiles on targets within a few feet and destroy towns easily, you should be able to build alpha binoculars. but you do not.

my own country has also given up much industry and skill. just as lamentable.

Last edited:
The USA can make anything and everything anybody else can, but Americans are not willing to open up their pocket books..........cheap crap rules. Oh, and our libtard education system has been dumbing down American kids for decades now.

While I too mourn the decline in our education your ad hominem attack is very American indeed, and very unnecessary here.

You guys have to understand something. American consumers are spoiled rotten. We (not me) have demanded high quality and cheap prices. That doesn't work very well, so what we're left with is cheap, throw away products that are relatively inexpensive.

On this I would also comment that we are far from alone in this regard, though we are unfortunately certainly one of the leaders and set a horrific example.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back