• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular dilemma (1 Viewer)

Tsalapeteinos

Hello from greece!

I have been checking out this forum for quite a while and have to say it's one of the most ( if not the most ) resourceful sites on the internet regarding birding . What finally made me register was the need for educated advice on a binocular purchase.

I've been searching for a decent pair of binoculars ever since I lost my old gifted 10 x 50 pair ( a sad tale )and have arrived at the following models. Beforehand I'd like to state that the limitations constricting my choice in binoculars are my budget (up to 400 euros, 450 maximum for an excellent pair ) and the fact that the market for binoculars in my country as far as I know is represted by only a few brands whose products are more often than
not available only through online order. What that means is I don't have an opportunity to try these pairs which is why I have chosen to consult the insight of any member of the forum willing to aid me in my search.

Also I chose to go with the 8 x 42 magnification as it is widely regarded as the best for general birding use .

no. 1 : Nikon Monarch 7

From reviews I've read it seems to be a good quality binocular. It's the most expensive of the three being priced at 445 euros.

no. 2 : Vanguard ED IV

This one seems to be my favorite but the sk15 prisms are the only thing that makes me reconsider. It is priced at 389 euros.

no.3 Olympus EXWP I
This is a rather old model but has recieved positive criticism on the allbinos site. Of course ten years have lapsed since their review and it probably doesn't fare as well compared to the others but since it was available I thought I would include it. It's price is 338 euros.

In general their comparison on the allbinos site shows very small differences concerning their specifications .Other models also considered were the Vanguard ED II and Nikon Monarch 5 but believing that their succesors will be better I have ruled them out. That's all, any advice will appreciated greatly and thank you in advance !

Something else I would like to add is that if there are any other greek members on the forum who would happen to know of any shops where tryout is an option or any other models similarly priced which are available , their contribution would be of great value .

Hi there and welcome to Bird Forum Binocular Division.:t:

Unfortunately I haven't compared all your choices. However I do know the Monarch 7 line somewhat and I think they are a really great optic at their price point and I know many others here agree. The one I recently looked at which was the 8x30 really impressed me optically. Large sweet spot and pretty sharp going out towards the edge. That particular model has a very large FOV also. If I remember it was 430 ft. Very bright and compact and lightweight. I had some issues with partial blackouts so it wasn't the right bin for me but optically I really wish it had worked. I'd have loved to own one.

You've picked two nice choices there.

I've spent a little time with both of those....the Monarch 7 and Vanguard ED IV both 8X42.

I have actually spent quite a bit of time with the ED IV.... There's little doubt the Vanguard IS the best optically. FOV for this binocular is only about average but what's there is VERY nice!

The Monarch 7 best features are light weight ~680gm and larger FOV. It's also a relatively small 8X42.

If it were me....I'd probably go with the Vanguard and not worry about the prisms at all.

Attachments

• DSC00695.jpg
    DSC00695.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC00070_1.JPG
    DSC00070_1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 57
Late response, but I've decided to go with the vanguard. It will arrive in about a month and I'll post my review about it then. Thanks for the advice

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back