• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (2 Viewers)

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 14-8TH-14TH APRIL 2007
COVES TICKS
To church on the Sunday morning and then to the foot of the Boquer where the Irish birder I had met in a previous year was ready for raptors, and amazed me by picking up some Black Vultures flying over Tomir, which is at least 10 miles away. The afternoon was beach time playing football and digging. Scops Owls were still unavailable this holiday so far.
On the Monday we got our car- another Touran, this time in Pearl Black, and as it was raining we needed somewhere sheltered from the elements, and so decided upon the Coves d'Arta which were very impressive. The exit is out of a huge gash in the rocks overlooking a small bay, and our tour ended at just the right time, as 2 Oystercatchers flew noisily by, and then a large brilliant white seabird followed them out of the sea mist- a Gannet- so two ticks in two ticks! he rain eased somewhat, so it was off to Capdepera for lunch and Shearwaters. Then to the local Castell, which was interesting but also frightening at the same time, as with boys aged 8 and 6 and Grandad aged 82 we had to negotiate slippery stairways and totally unprotected walkways with no barriers against falling about 5 metres to the ground below. We were relieved to get out still in one piece.
Tuesday was train day, so a dash along the motorway, cutting up to Bunyola, and then a ride on the fabulous electric train from 1912 through the mountains to Soller. Lunch in the main square by the cathedral was hindered by rain starting, and we retreated back to Bunyola, and then through the Orient valley to Alaro and back on the motorway. By 2007 a placename was being heard of among British birders for the first time- Son Real- so on the Wednesday we went there- but found the main entrance from the coast road blocked for "Gate Repairs". Graham Hearl's book mentioned some remote places down a road just beyond Arta, so we sortied out to Cala Estreta on a road that deteriorated badly as we got nearer the sea. Still, it was a nice, if lonely area, and Tawny pipit and Thekla Lark were easily seen.
The Thursday seemed to become the shopping day, and the only addition to the bird list was a Tree Pipit near the Boquer finca. On Friday I felt a bit off-colour, and so staying round the hotel was the best option, especially as the weather deteriorated into rain and gales. Back form a showery Palma on the Saturday morning, we discovered BHX to be having a glorious sunny spring day- just as before- opposites of weather in Mallorca and England. This year's total was 98 species seen plus 5 heard, somewhat disappointing, but the weather was not very good. The Scops were only heard this year, and distantly at that- worrying as they had been fairly reliable until then.
POSTSCRIPT On Sunday 15th April I came out of the shower and Susan said "What's that on the back of your knee?" I realised immediately that it was a tick, and had to dash down to the A and E department at Northampton General Hospital where a nurse wrestled it in a bloody mess from behind my knee. Some antibiotics also staved off any chance of infection. I suspect it leapt aboard whilst I was eating my lunch at Cala Estreta, as i had shorts on at the time, and we sat down on the ground. Thereafter I was very careful to have long trousers on if venturing into wilder parts of the Island.

So it is!
Thanks Martin.
Gregor from now on.
I went to the rubbish bins, my only walk outside all week, and there to greet me was a very noisy Golden oriole!
Like is so often the case, I couldn’t see it even though i was under the right tree and I then heard it calling from further away.
Mondragó is a very good place for this species, I often see them here in spring and sometimes in August too.
The birds that are being found since Lockdown is incredible, most of which I would never have seen had I not been confined to my home.
More to come methinks.
Honey Buzzard any day now.
Mike

I am indeed Gregor! Amazing that you and Maties have also had Golden Orioles. It's incredible to have seen so many birds during the lockdown, it shows how many fantastic birds we must be missing all the time in our gardens during our normal lives!

It's been another day of surprises here. First, a Crossbill perched on the electricity wires passing over the garden briefly this morning, my first of the lockdown. Later this morning there was another good passage of Common Swifts and the four hirundine species again, along with at least a dozen Booted Eagles. A Black Vulture and Peregrine also passed over, along with a Common Buzzard this afternoon, which appears to be the same individual as a couple of days ago (suggesting it's from the breeding pair?).

A new Mediterranean Flycatcher, Willow Warbler and two new Blackcaps brought me hope of finding some more new migrant species. I certainly wasn't expecting this though, a magnificent Subalpine Warbler only a few metres away! It's my new favourite bird of the lockdown!

Does anyone know if this is a Moltoni's or Western Subalpine?

Attachments

• cccrossbill.jpg
    cccrossbill.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 47
  • buzzardescapdella.jpg
    buzzardescapdella.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 47
  • subalpine.jpg
    subalpine.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 69
A perfect looking day with blue sky and clouds but it has not delivered yet.
A handful of Marsh harriers through and a movement of Barn Swallow, Common and Pallid Swift although very few were of the latter species.
Just a note on those two. I got a few aggressive responses on another forum when I suggested that separating Pallid Swift from Common was not difficult in the spring. The only Pallid Swift I saw in the UK was on a wet windy Wednesday in a gravel pit somewhere in Kent. It was very difficult I agree but here in Mallorca in the bright sunshine, they are unmistakable. The brown is so different, vivid and obvious at first glance. We are lucky here but it does get more difficult post-breeding when young Common Swift are on the wing.
Mike

A few more migrants have recently been seen including Pied flycatchers, Spotted flycatchers, Woodchats, Willow warblers, Cuckoos, a couple of Hobby and some Wood warblers.
The lucky birders in the countryside are seeing them but there is little chance from here.
Bang goes my BigYear chances.
Mike

Last edited:
Subalpine warblers

By the way, one of the causes of many mistakes with these species:

Subalpine warbler = Sylvia cantillans
Moltoni's warbler = Sylvia subalpina

It sounds just confusing

Thanks Pep, the names for some harriers is also confusing, eg. Hen Harrier being called Pálido in Mallorca, very confusing for us Brits.
In the UK circus macrourus is called Pallid Harrier.
There are a few more too so I will list them soon.
Mike

Thanks Josep, I'm leaning towards Subalpine to on account of the orange colour (rather than pink in Moltoni's). The names are confusing, and a lot of the calls on xenocanto appear to be mislabeled (presumably as a result!).

I have added two more pictures of this bird below. Whatever it is, it's made my week!

Attachments

• subalp2.jpg
    subalp2.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 63
  • subalp3.jpg
    subalp3.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 69
Thanks Josep, I'm leaning towards Subalpine to on account of the orange colour (rather than pink in Moltoni's). The names are confusing, and a lot of the calls on xenocanto appear to be mislabeled (presumably as a result!).

I have added two more pictures of this bird below. Whatever it is, it's made my week!

Hello, yes, subalpine (s. cantillans inornata), it is not our local moltoni, moltoni's are more Burdeaux wine color

Last edited:
I agree with Pep, you are getting some fantastic birds in your garden, an amazing array of scarce migrants.
Where are you on the Island?
I’d be very interested to know, it certainly seems to be a very good location.
Nice too that you have now got photos, how we would have loved a photo of the Red-breasted flycatcher, I can’t remember the last one on mainland Mallorca.
Keep them coming!
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Pep and Mike! The Subalpine Warbler has been in the garden all afternoon, totally unperturbed by presence, it even briefly landed on the washing line! It reminds me of a Waxwing I found in my garden in England when I was young, it's hard to believe that such a special bird could choose to land in the garden of someone whom it would bring such joy.

Mike, I'm on the edge of Es Capdella, within Calvia. I'm at the top of a hill (Niu d'Aligues), which gives me great views over valleys on two sides of the house. We're about 4-5km inland, so it's been a surprise to have so many migrants landing in our tiny garden! It makes me wonder how many birds must be going unnoticed around here. I was here for only two days last spring and found a flock of 7 Red-rumped Swallows, along with multiple Redstarts, Pied Flycatchers, two Hobbys and lots of common migrants in another valley near the house (sadly I can't reach it right now).

I'm so frustrated that I didn't manage to photograph the Red-breasted Flycatcher! But I've learned my lesson, to always have my camera to hand!

While watching the Subalpine, I heard one of the iconic sounds of the Mediterranean summer, and managed to pick up three Bee-eaters heading overhead. I can't wait to see what's next!

Attachments

• subalp7.jpg
    subalp7.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 62
  • subalp6 (2).jpg
    subalp6 (2).jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 61
  • subalp4 (3).jpg
    subalp4 (3).jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 70
Thanks Gregor, you are obviously in a very enviable position and on a good migration route.
I have a friend who lives in Santa Ponça and the list of birds he has seen is staggering.
I agree that loads of rarities are passing through the Island unnoticed. I have always said that on the right day, Mallorca is right up there with some of the best places, there have never been enough people looking.
I go to Salobrar de Campos often but even in peak migration times, I am often alone.
I don’t mind though, the last time I visited Titchwell in Norfolk, I couldn’t park and thought there must be a major rarity there. When I enquired, I was told it was just a normal day, such a contrast to here. I still love Norfolk though.
Let’s hope there are more great birds to come. What we have seen from our gardens is quite extraordinary.
Mike

Can anyone help with this snake species?
It was sent by a friend who lives in Ses a Salines and she hates snakes!
She was told it was a Montpelier but I’m not sure that it is.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Also, would she be allowed to have it relocated?
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, viparine. Interestingly, in response to a question in a post of mine from June last year Martin pointed out:

“There are supposed to be only two endemic reptiles on the Balearic Islands, the Lilford’s and Ibiza wall lizards, the other 19 are introductions - some dating back to the Neolithic”.

i.e. none of the Mallorcan snakes (including viparine, which I think is fairly common) are indigenous!

Hope you’re all coping OK during lockdown!

Stew

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 15- 5TH-12TH APRIL 2008
JELLYFISH AND MARSH SANDS
EasyJet from Luton again this year, and the first year of the restrictions on liquids in hand luggage, which went well until some sunscreen was found in one of the boys' rucksacks, and had to be deposited in a bin. Still, we had nice rooms again and the weather was good in PP. Sunday followed the normal pattern until afternoon on the beach, when my wife and mother-in -law went round to the Illa d'Or (a five star hotel they really wanted to be at) but found the beach on the way piled up with dead jellyfish. In the evening the Llenaire road was devoid of owls but the Stone Curlews were active.
On Monday the bus took us down to Albufereta for lunch at the mound, and it was nice to see Flamingos and a Great White Egret. The only problem was a pair of rather aggressive dogs which rushed at us and scared our boys. Again the evening was owl-less. Tuesday was a local day, with just a brief trip to Postage Stamp Wood for Firecrest and th Boquer foot for Booted Eagle and BRThrush.
Wednesday was our now normal trip to Albufera on a non- market day, and a good selection there included views of Little Bittern, Marsh Sandpiper and Whiskered Tern. On TV that night was the Apprentice and some Champions League football.
Thursday was car day, and another Touran took us to Muro on a cold, cloudy morning. We eventually found the Museum of Rural Life, which was very interesting. We decided to go to the Depuradora for lunch on the new viewing platform, and miraculously the clouds parted to baking sunshine, a Nightingale sang, and a Black-necked Grebe was on one of the lagoons. Then off to Son Real and we got in this time, but the distance to the beach in the heat was too far for the family, and we had to retreat back to the car park. The habitat looked nice, though.
Friday and the mountains- and a walk at Cuber where Dangler the Donkey was still in residence, but the Spectacled Warblers seemed to have disappeared. Down to Port de Soller for lunch, and we approached the car park by a new tunnel blasted through the rock, so that the main sea front was for trams and delivery vehicles only. After lunch through the older tunnel to Alfabia gardens, which had quickly become a family favourite. Back to the hotel with wind rising and rain starting, so still no owls around. On Saturday the rain had stopped but it was still cloudy, so we travelled a long way down to the Hemitage de San Salvador, from where there are magnificent views over most of the island. Downhill to Cala Figuera and a nice walk, but the rain started again as we moved back to the hotel, again stopping serious owling that night.......

An interesting morning for warblers here, with Wood and Willow in the garden, followed by the arrival of my first garden Common Whitethroat, and then this individual that I cannot identify (along with the Wood Warbler and Whitethroat photos)! My first thought was female Subalpine, but then I took some better photos, and it looks more like a female Sardinian with a white eye ring? Can anyone help? Thanks!

Also a Bonelli's Eagle over, and lots of Mediterranean Flycatchers around in the garden.

Attachments

• woodwarb.jpg
    woodwarb.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 74
  • whitethroat2.jpg
    whitethroat2.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 81
  • subalpf4.jpg
    subalpf4.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 82
  • subalpf5.jpg
    subalpf5.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 84
  • subalpf6.jpg
    subalpf6.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 84
Two more photos of the bird attached. On balance I think it's a female Sardinian, with a whiter than usual eye-ring?

Attachments

• subalpf7.jpg
    subalpf7.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 73
  • subalpf8.jpg
    subalpf8.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 76
A birding friend has confirmed that it’s a Subalpine Warbler, along with two people supporting that in the id section of birdforum! So two Subalpine Warblers in two days in the same tree! Sadly I didn’t hear this bird call so whether it’s a Moltoni’s or Western Subalpine remains mystery. But what a fantastic surprise!

Additionally, three Alpine and two Pallid Swifts went over this afternoon along with lots more Common.

I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Hi Gregor
Glad you got the ID’s ok.
Wood Warbler, Whitethroat and another Sub-Alpine Warbler is impressive, no wonder you are looking forward to tomorrow.
All I got today was seven Barn Swallows going north.
A few local raptors kept me amused as did the local swifts going to and from their nests in our apartment block.
Sant Salvador was covered in mist most of today which didn’t help.
A bit of a miserable day sadly.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back