• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help on Bird Control (1 Viewer)

Hello there! hope I post this in the right area if not I am sorry...

I am looking for a bird-friendly way of keeping birds away from a residential building... the other owners think of more extreme measure but I have them on hold to find some other solution such as some ultrasound devices similar to those that keep small animals away? is the something liek that in the market?

Thank you very much for all the help!
Perry

I don't believe anyone is ignoring you, it's just that most of us will do anything to have the birds around us so frankly I think we're all at a loss for suggestions for you. The birds have been here long before we were so I am one of those that believe they have squatters rights ;)

Perry , I think if you did a google search with "humane bird control " or something like that you might find something to work with. Be careful though as the word "humane" might be used with some liberty when folks are trying to sell you something. I certainly applaud your effort to try something less extreme to what your fellow residents are interested in. Good luck in any case. :t:

Hello there! hope I post this in the right area if not I am sorry...

I am looking for a bird-friendly way of keeping birds away from a residential building... the other owners think of more extreme measure but I have them on hold to find some other solution such as some ultrasound devices similar to those that keep small animals away? is the something liek that in the market?

Thank you very much for all the help!
Perry

Why on earth would you want to keep sparrows away from your building? Anyway, it's impossible without a huge net to go over the whole thing. Ultrasound would only work on a limited area, and would just be a waste of resources - as well as being potentially harmful to bats.

I don't believe anyone is ignoring you, it's just that most of us will do anything to have the birds around us so frankly I think we're all at a loss for suggestions for you. The birds have been here long before we were so I am one of those that believe they have squatters rights ;)
I am totally with you on that and that is why I am here. But if I don't find anything me neighbours are willing to poison the poor birds!!!

Why on earth would you want to keep sparrows away from your building? Anyway, it's impossible without a huge net to go over the whole thing. Ultrasound would only work on a limited area, and would just be a waste of resources - as well as being potentially harmful to bats.
Because of the droppings... I don't care but that is what I was told by the building counsil...

are these droppings from a roost, from nests, what?

If it's a roost, then control is different from nests. Are there piles of droppings, or just the odd poop on somebody's washing as the birds fly over? You're not exactly being very informative of the problem, so it's no wonder you haven't had much response (and most people on here are birders, not pest crontrollers). You also need to see what the law is in Greece, i.e. protection for house sparrows. Under the Birds Directive they'll have a minimum level of protection, but I'm guessing that their status will be similar to Woodpigeon here - i.e. pretty much an open season. But there will be still be laws against certain methods, such as traps and liming.

Also, any lethal methods will simp,y result in new birds taking their place, so it will be open-ended rolling control. To have effective control, you need to remove the attraction for the birds.

Give us a few more facts and we might have some suggestions.

Hi Perry,

Is there any way you can post pictures of the birds and the mess they are making then we can see how big the problem is. If you have a building council can they not clean the building more often without getting rid of the birds which seems a bit extreme as someone has already written more will only move in?

I only have a house with a small garden but with grass, trees and hedges don't have much mess, I know we have more rain than you do in Greece so any droppings do get washed off the roof.

Ann

Hello guys and thank you!

There are laws but I will have to go to the court to charge the neighboors and there prove that hey did something illegal....

The birds have nests on top of the houses and their droppings fall on the balconies and the other open areas but mostly balconies are the problem...

I will try to get some pictures when I go back to the place and post them here of the birds and the "mess" they create...

block off the nesting holes once the birds have finished nesting, and erect nestboxes in an agreed suitable place nearby. Or fix wooden shelves under the nest holes to catch the droppings, as a fascia, and then periodically clean them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back