• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

I didn't go out today, extremely annoyed, had to spend all morning hanging around town and until 2pm to wait for car to be MOT'd and it failed - well I knew it would! its ancient! Did the Tescos run and have now decided to climb up the wooden hill very early and go out a daybreak tomorrow to make up for today.

My parents had an excellent afternoon though - my mother saw a spotted flycatcher about 3pm in her garden and father saw a common crane flying over at 4.30pm!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.S. Hoopoe was seen at 12.20pm at Kelling Heath today but not seen again after 1.21pm. BOTHER!!!
and a wood sandpiper at Kelling Water Meadows.

Last edited:
2 Cranes showing well and calling in fields South of Rush Hill Scrape this morning (always nice to see) - Could not see the Bonaparte's there

Breydon also fairly quiet - 1 3rd sum Yellow leg Gull was a year tick

Sacha

Hi, i've a couple of decent spells of free time coming up in the next few weeks so hoping to get to grips with a few of the further-flung Norfolk spots / birds. And as it'll be by train, bike & foot i'm reasonably keen to avoid unnecessary 20 mile detours

But as i arent sure this is the done thing or not, i do fully appreciate anyone's reluctance in giving info away,

anyhow...

Stone Curlews, Weeting - is there a particularly good or bad time of day for them to show ? (and anything else of special note in the greater-Thetford / Brandon CP area...)

Montagu's , , any help in location would be useful...(ok so this is going to be a tricky one in many people's mind i guess, so perhaps PM ?)

Lakenheath Fen - anyone got the OS ref ? obviously i have an old copy as its not shown (well i cant see it anyhow)

Nightjars in Norfolk ?

finally, Honey Buzzards were on my orig. list of RFI but cheers Chris, i will bear that in mind.

thanks in advance

Lakenheath (Grid Ref TL725865) and Weeting are only a few miles apart and very easy to do. The Golden Orioles are flying about between the first and second plantation at the moment. You need to walk along the riverbank as early as possible in the morning. (5am if possible) You will almost certainly hear them before they fly out from one side of the plantation before they fly over to the other plantation or even across the river. The cranes can also be heard.
Weeting can be done any time of day between 9am-5pm.
Honey Buzzards are at Great Ryburgh Raptor Watch Point (TF970255) probably best after 10am in the morning.

Nightjars Roydon Common, Sandringham, Dersingham Bog.

Sue

Well I didn't quite make daybreak!! 8.30am!

On private nature reserve in Norfolk: little egret x 2, kingfisher, greenfinches, goldfinches, mistle thrushes, blackcap, willow warbler, garden warbler, at least 50 banded demoiseilles, Emerald damselfly, red eyed damselfly, 4 spot chaser, yellow hammer, tawny owl, marsh tits x 2, treecreeper, 2 grey wagtails, great spotted woodpecker.

Further afield in Norfolk: Great Ryburgh - 10.45am - 2 common buzzards, 2 hobbies, 1 heron and 1 egyptian goose, nothing else again!!!!

Swanton Novers: 2.45pm 2 yellow hammers, 2 stock doves.

Flitcham 5.15pm - Feral Barnacle Goose with grey lags and lots of young!, greenfinch, tufted ducks, mute swans, 1 little grebe, little owl in tree!, chaffinches, 2 long tailed tits and a cuckoo.

Last edited:
Hi all.

Just a quick one.

saw a hobby this morning flew over as i was driving between Buxton and Coltishal near the waste dump. at 06:15.

Hope to go to buxton heath tonight for night jar.

Barry.

Not the easiest of days but still successful enough

First couple hours was in bright sunshine before being swallowed up by the Buxton roadwork diversions; then fell for the ole Norfolk signposts gag a couple of times (how long have i lived here :'D ) finally, after riding round the same 3 mile loop twice, had to just ignore the Road Closed which worked out rather well as i got the road all to myself and didnt see any actual roadworks whatsoever !

enough common stuiff to keep it interesting, and also 2 Turtle Doves, 1 Hobby, a lovely day-flying Barn Owl, chased a couple of Bullfinch up the lane, 3 Greater-spotted & 1 Green woodpecker, 1 Sparrowhawk

Started to rain a few miles from the monty site so dived in a cafe. Rained even harder when i came out. Went for a look about anyway. Rain stopped - montys came out - rain started again. felt a bit jarred off at not getting the best of views but still it was enough, and prob as well to leave them in peace i guess

2 and half hours of a rain soaked Norfolk Coast Cycleway later, Sheringham train station was just way too tempting...

101 miles by bike + 2 trains (cheers for the top-tips, you know who you are :t: )

~many thanks for the reply Dad, Sue. Just need to suss out getting to Lakenheath for 5am now...

Hi all, had two Spoonbills, two cracking sum plum Curlew Sands, a Little Stint and a Bitten at Titchwell RSPB + a Cuckoo at Thornham Point.

Connor

Does anyone have any reliable sites in Norfolk for tree sparrow this time of year? Will be coming up on Monday and would like to see some if at all possible. If the sites are sensitive then please PM me. Thanks in advance for any help

Hi all.

Not got out today too much to do at home.

Lots of activity in the garden though, Family of 5 coal tits feeding on feeders, family of 3 robins feeding in the borders and my highlight of the day(not for the sparrow though) was a Sparrow hawk which caught a sparrow then stayed on the side of the lawn to pluck & eat it.

Got some pics but I dont know how to up load them onto the site. I will try but don't hold your breath.

Barry.

sparrow hawk (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• sparrow hawk 1 (Medium).jpg
    sparrow hawk 1 (Medium).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 132
a good hour at Rush Hill early evening produced

Boner but only briefly
Temminck's Stint
Little Stint
Curlew Sand

and it was very nice to meet Gordon and Susan who were down here for the week and share a beer with them in the Nelson's last night. Great people!

Last edited:
No birding today:-C - spent most of day looking for new car. One of my shortest lists ever on a Saturday, 2 cuckoos, 1 whitethroat, 1 turtle dove!

Had a nice evening last night though, had fantastic views of nightjars and woodcocks flying overhead.

egyptian vulture

just heard that the guy who 1st saw the vulture has had the balls to own up that he made a mistake. It was a white buzzard.

hats off to owning up. will Mr. Balero do the same??

we are coming down to norfolk for a couple of days tomorrow from the edge of North yorkshire and county durham
so any recommendations for places to go for good bird watching this week would be great.

We will be staying at Fakenham but were aiming for the snettisham along to Cley areas
we will arrive mid afternoon Monday and return midafternoon Wednesday so want to try and plan an idea of where to head for
thanks Cee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back