• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falco eleonorae? (1 Viewer)

Yep, P. halepensis is probably not native there, but it is not too far away.

For Pinus pinea, probably the best indication of its true native range is the native range of Iberian Magpie (Pega-azul; Cyanopica cooki), which is its natural seed dispersal agent. So, native across much of southern and western Iberia, including Algarve; but not native outside of the range of the Magpie - an archaeophyte (cultivated by man for ~6,000 years) throughout the rest of the Mediterranean. All of its non-iberian locations are coastal / near-coastal, and close to historical trade routes (Rikli, M. A., 1943; Das Pflanzenkleid der Mittelmeerländer).

Cheers, that's great, its an oldish paper but interesting knowledge:t:. I'm confused though because Portuguese botanists seem to not have a consensus on the issue nowadays. Also I thought P.pinea was native to Italy?

Cheers, that's great, its an oldish paper but interesting knowledge:t:. I'm confused though because Portuguese botanists seem to not have a consensus on the issue nowadays. Also I thought P.pinea was native to Italy?
Not sure why Portuguese botanists should think that!

No, very likely not native to Italy, though cultivated for millennia and locally naturalised there.

Well there you go, it highlights the pitfalls of vernacular names - as we found out with Mountain Ash on another thread;)

As for the bird i am not a fan of using a persons name at the specific level of Latin nomenclature but would prefer it to be honoured at subspecific and just the nominate race. Eleonaora imo is fine for the commonly used vernacular as it celebrates a woman who not only passed probably the World’s first conservation legislation but championed wimminz rights in Sardinia in the 1400’s:eek!: No mean feat considering the macho society that still exists in the Mediterranean to this day:t:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleonora's_falcon

Laurie -

Not sure why Portuguese botanists should think that!

Eminent Portuguese botanists have a long running debate and what seems established is that nobody knows for sure if Pinus pinea is truly native. All I could find to reference this doubt quickly was the trusted Flora-on website that is run by some of the most experienced botanists here - I'm sure there is more stuff as in the past I have read bits of debate here and there on social media.
https://flora-on.pt/index.php#/1Pinus+pinea

It was at 16/07/2018
A curious fact is that almost since I was born I spend a lot of time, many many weeks every year in Portas de Ródão (in the last years birdwatching a lot of time) and I never saw a peregrine falcon there. But I know that there are records there but I think it's funny that I saw first a Eleonorae before see a Peregrine there.

Thanks Miguel. That is an early date, its much more normal in August-September. It is uncanny you should see "the Falcon of the Queen" before a Peregrine at that site ;)

As for the bird i am not a fan of using a persons name at the specific level of Latin nomenclature but would prefer it to be honoured at subspecific and just the nominate race.
Not sure I get you there! Why just for a subspecies, and what would you do if that subspecies then gets split as a species?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back