• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushbuck, Moremi (Botswana) - July 2019 (1 Viewer)

marcperxas

Hello,

This picture was taken at Third Bridge Campsite, Moremi, Botswana.

I know for sure it's a Bushbuck, but I'd like someone to tell me if it's an Imbabala (Cape Bushbuck), or could be a Chobe Bushbuck (which I think is also different from the Kewel.

I think the Chobe Bushbuck differs in the colour

Any help?

Thanks!
Marc

Attachments

• Bushbuck, Moremi (Botswana), July 2019.jpg
    Bushbuck, Moremi (Botswana), July 2019.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 32
Here's a 'Chobe' from the Kunene area of Namibia for comparison.

Attachments

• rsz_chobe_bushbuck.jpg
    rsz_chobe_bushbuck.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 10
Here's a 'Chobe' from the Kunene area of Namibia for comparison.

And here you have more pictures of the same Bushbuck.
I understand they're a bit dfferent, but it could be dute to the maturity?
According to the region (Moremi), it shouldn't be a "Chobe's"

Marc

Attachments

• Bushbuck (2).jpg
    Bushbuck (2).jpg
    661 KB · Views: 4
  • Bushbuck (3).jpg
    Bushbuck (3).jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Bushbuck (4).jpg
    Bushbuck (4).jpg
    899.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Bushbuck (5).jpg
    Bushbuck (5).jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 6
It looks like a Chobe to me and having looked at HMW, range looks perfect.

If the one I saw in Moremi is actually a Chobe, then the 2 females I photographed last year at Kapama (South Africa) may also be Chobe's?
I thought they were Cape Bushbucks. What do you think?

I don't find much realiable information regards the different bushbuck species. We could say the Cape Bushbuck is darker in colour and a little bit larger?

Thanks
Marc

Attachments

• Bushbuck.jpg
    Bushbuck.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Bushbuck (2).jpg
    Bushbuck (2).jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Bushbuck (3).jpg
    Bushbuck (3).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Bushbuck (4).jpg
    Bushbuck (4).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Here are some shots from HMW showing range of each.

Attachments

• rsz_p8130224.jpg
    rsz_p8130224.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 17
  • rsz_p8130227.jpg
    rsz_p8130227.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15
  • rsz_p8130229.jpg
    rsz_p8130229.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 16

Wow, there are so many Bushbuck subspecies; this is crazy.

I agree with you. According to the range they should be female Cape Bushbucks, but as Kapama is a fenced private game reserve, then who knows.. Anyway, I'll try to contact them, maybe they already know the subspecies.

Regards the Moremi sighting (first post), I trust you, so I'm going to "tick" the Chobe Bushbuck of my list |:p|

Thank you for recommendation of the HMW. For the momment I won't consider them, but in the future, who knows!

Thank you ;)
Marc

Antelope taxonomy in Handbook of the Mammals of the World is often plain wrong. It is a direct copy of the radical proposals from Ungulate Taxonomy by Groves & Grubb. This means no checking of evidence is done and evidence for many of the splits is lacking. This leads to gigantic oversplitting as a very radical version of the PSC is followed.

That said the animals in Botswana are ornatus or Chobe bushbuck. This is however a subspecies not a real species. There is however good evidence that 2 species of Bushbuck exist, one in East and Southern Africa, the other in West and Central Africa. This would mean all Bushbuck in Southern African belong to the species Tragelaphus sylvaticus, of which ornatus would be a subspecies. For more information see this link (and the references therein):

https://www.zoochat.com/community/t...ce-for-the-splits-of-g-g.467230/#post-1033381

Andy,

I asked a Kapama Head Ranger about the type of Bushbuck. This is what he answered:

Yes this will be a Female Cape Bushbuck (Tragelaphus Scriptus) this will cover most of southern Africa.

If you go into more detail this is the Tragelaphus Scriptus Roualeyni, but it does not have a common name to it.
So this will still fall under the Cape Bushbuck, but this sub species will be more specific to the Limpopo area were Kapama is based

Thanks!
Marc

Antelope taxonomy in Handbook of the Mammals of the World is often plain wrong. It is a direct copy of the radical proposals from Ungulate Taxonomy by Groves & Grubb. This means no checking of evidence is done and evidence for many of the splits is lacking. This leads to gigantic oversplitting as a very radical version of the PSC is followed.

That said the animals in Botswana are ornatus or Chobe bushbuck. This is however a subspecies not a real species. There is however good evidence that 2 species of Bushbuck exist, one in East and Southern Africa, the other in West and Central Africa. This would mean all Bushbuck in Southern African belong to the species Tragelaphus sylvaticus, of which ornatus would be a subspecies. For more information see this link (and the references therein):

https://www.zoochat.com/community/t...ce-for-the-splits-of-g-g.467230/#post-1033381

T.O.,

Thank you so much for your information, which I'm going to read carefully.
By the way, you surprised me with your statement about the HMW. This is good to know!

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back