• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (7 Viewers)

Hi Craig over the years the habitat for waders in autumn at the Flashes as mostly been ideal. But we do get a bit disappointed when they never materialise. As you know there is a good list of waders seen over the years. Maybe the size of the flashes is a limiting factor. However there are a few waders that I would like to think could turn up at this time of year such as Yanks :- Lesser Yellowlegs , Long Billed Dowitcher, white rumped Sandpiper or a bairds sand. . Don't forget we have had a few Pectoral sandpipers and a Least Sandpiper and a couple of Wilson' Phalaropes. So we live in hope.
Cheers John

i wouldent mind seeing any of these,another sudgestion is buff breasted sand or spotted sand or even closer to home kentish plover.dont remind me of the wilsons phal.i (well my dad) was driving up the A38(before i knew upton was there) on the day the wilsons phal was found and i saw loads of twitchers running(yes running) away from there cars.i asked to stop but my dad didnt and it was only a few hours after i heard about what was there,but of cause it dissapeared before i could get there(which i never did untill a year ago)
wasent we doing this with the spotted crake last time;););)
MB

Hi Craig
I'm going to have a good try this Saturday as this is peak time and a lot of yanks are scattered around the country. Saying that there are all sorts of non-waders about as well.
Cheers John

Hi Craig
I'm going to have a good try this Saturday as this is peak time and a lot of yanks are scattered around the country. Saying that there are all sorts of non-waders about as well.
Cheers John

i will be joining you in the evening then,dont be affraid to ask if you see someone like me there,see you there.
lets get the yanks(and the sab gull)
MB

Well, well, well!
When I first joined the forum earlier this year, I kept checking out the listings for an active section about Upton Warren, but to no avail.
So I started my blog. Now it appears that someone's grabbed the reins - well done.

SJV

I went very early this morning to Upton Warren after the Sab's Gull (05.30am to just after 7am) but unfortunately it was not there so off I went to Grimley New Workings.

I managed to get a couple of shots (heavily cropped) of the juvenile Black Tern that was there.

What I wasn't expecting to see was a Leucistic Martin (probably a Sand Martin as it seemed to be flying with them rather than the House Martins).

I managed two very distant photos of the bird (about 100+ yards away) so they have been heavily cropped. They are poor quality because of the distance away from me but at least you can see the bird.

Has anyone else ever seen a Leucistic Martin or Swallow?

John

Attachments

• Juv Black Tern 1468.jpg
    Juv Black Tern 1468.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Juv Black Tern 1456.jpg
    Juv Black Tern 1456.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Leucistic Martin 1443.jpg
    Leucistic Martin 1443.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Leucistic Martin 1444.jpg
    Leucistic Martin 1444.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 161
I went very early this morning to Upton Warren after the Sab's Gull (05.30am to just after 7am) but unfortunately it was not there so off I went to Grimley New Workings.

I managed to get a couple of shots (heavily cropped) of the juvenile Black Tern that was there.

What I wasn't expecting to see was a Leucistic Martin (probably a Sand Martin as it seemed to be flying with them rather than the House Martins).

I managed two very distant photos of the bird (about 100+ yards away) so they have been heavily cropped. They are poor quality because of the distance away from me but at least you can see the bird.

John

Hi John
Not seen that leucistic bird or heard any reports. Will look out for it tomorrow.
Good shots of black tern.
cheers John

Well, well, well!
When I first joined the forum earlier this year, I kept checking out the listings for an active section about Upton Warren, but to no avail.
So I started my blog. Now it appears that someone's grabbed the reins - well done.

SJV

Hi Simon
not seen you on the early Saturday morning shift recently.
Yes your hard work starting the upton blog might not be in vain. Is it possible for you to transfer all your upton stuff or the initial recording sectors etc. It seems a pity all that work going to waste. And also your habitat photos are worth putting on this site. To give non-upton birders a feel for the place
cheers John

John

Hi John,
Must have just missed you at UW.Well by about 4 hours.No wonder I didn't see it.

ax.

Went to UW today and started off at the Moors pools.

The Black Tern was performing well but was it was as hard as ever to get a decent shot.The KF turned up and started fishing but my attempts to get a fishing shot were pathetic and my collection of empty water shots is bigger then ever.Did see a strange Goose (a very rare bird or a hybrid ????).

At lunchtime I went to the Flashes hoping that because it was a Friday the Sabines Gull would finish early and come into the roost -- no chance!!!!!

The usual suspects were about incl. Common and Green Sandpipers,a Common Snipe,a few Redshanks and a Little-ringed Plover.A Hobby flew through and 40+ Curlews were in their usual spot a few of which ventured a bit nearer the hide.Also saw a Linnet showing some blue streaks on it's chest - Is this unusual?

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_4580 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4580 (Large).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4610 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4610 (Large).JPG
    152 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4650 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4650 (Large).JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4676 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4676 (Large).JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 163
visiting upton warren

Hi everybody,
Just a quick question. How do I find out who is and more importantly who isn't, a warden at upton warren? Have been a few times and normally buy permits from the education centre. Went sometime last month and that was shut, on entry in the morning and in the afternoon when I left. However, I did feel guilty not being able to pay - so in future who do I ask for?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

I believe (although I may be wrong) that the only 'official warden' is Arthur. He's a glorious elderly gentleman whose time is consumed these day visiting his wife who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I feel no guilt about making this statement having lost my mother to this god-awful disease.
That said, the reserve is blessed with a hard-core of regulars who would be only to happy to take your payment and ensure that it ends up in the right coffer tin.

Thanks Sy,

I'll more than likely send off for membership of the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust at some point soon, to support the reserve properly, but if I turn up at UW before then, I shall know what to do.

Cheers for the gen!
Regards,
Steve

Went to UW today and started off at the Moors pools.

The usual suspects were about incl. Common and Green Sandpipers,a Common Snipe,a few Redshanks and a Little-ringed Plover.A Hobby flew through and 40+ Curlews were in their usual spot a few of which ventured a bit nearer the hide.Also saw a Linnet showing some blue streaks on it's chest - Is this unusual?

Max.
Hi Senator I notice you said a few redshanks - we haven't had any for a few weeks how many were there only its a good record this time of year.
Thanks John

Senatore thats what you call an action shot of the Kingfisher. The goose has a bit of greylag and canada in it there are a couple of other 'smeggy' looking geese around.
cheers john

There were three Redshanks when I was there this morning plus two LRP's and at least 6 Green Sandpipers as well.

John

Hi Senator I notice you said a few redshanks - we haven't had any for a few weeks how many were there only its a good record this time of year.
Thanks John

There were three Redshanks when I was there this morning plus two LRP's and at least 6 Green Sandpipers as well.

John
Thanks for that John just to keep our records straight. Many reports do not get put in the log book ..sometimes because people don't always carry a pen.
cheers John

The KF turned up and started fishing but my attempts to get a fishing shot were pathetic and my collection of empty water shots is bigger then ever.
Max.

I reckon that is a super Kingfisher image, Max! Certainly not pathetic! Sounds like a good day you had at Upton!:t:

On the issue of entance fee's it might be a good idea to put up an honesty box in a stategic location (s) so that non members can put their money in. This works well on some reserves. Above the box a card could be set with the entrance fee's stated.

Given that we are currently in recession it might also be a good idea to offer a concession.

Happy Birding

Dean:t:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back