• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can't-miss spots? (1 Viewer)

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
I'm planning for a trip to Brasil in October. Itinerary will likely include Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo, Brasilia, and Iguazu.

My interest in birding is primarily photographic: looking for birds that are colorful or iconic, preferably not requiring much effort to find. I'll be traveling with family and would rather not be separated, especially given security concerns in most of Brasil. No overnight camping for little brown job subspecies on this trip. Looking for a couple of scenic spots in each region that can provide good photographic views of a variety of birds. Practically anything I see is likely to be a lifer, unless it migrates to North America.

My wife likes owls, so good daytime spots for Burrowing Owl would be much appreciated.

Ooh, I want to see Southern Screamer too. A goose that looks like a grouse - that's cool!

Last edited:
If your interest is primarily bird photography then you should add a trip to the Pantanal in Southwestern Brazil. Macaws and parrots, storks, some herons not found in North America, raptors, a few mammals including Jaguar if you book a special tour. Depending on your family interests you may want to book a few days in some of the larger lodges. Southern Screamer is difficult to find in the places you planned to go but it is not difficult in the Pantanal.

Last edited:
Pantanal of course

Itatiaia Np, in the highway vía dutra from Río to sao paulo has interesting birds, but not so easy of course..

At Iguazú I would recommend the Argentinian side. Much better birding and many lodge options at Iryapú area. Also check lodges like Surucuá, Yacutinga and Karadya (the website now is www.karadya.com.ar). They are located at the best birding area of the Province, around 100 kms away from Iguazú.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back