Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What is the Noctivid about?

Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 06:37   #151
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
You've had a problem with Leica BA/BN/Ultravid? I never have. Nor have I had any problem with Zeiss FL.

--AP
Well, I did have to make adjustments to the diopter on my 2 UV and 1 FL after periods of use, I`v never had to do the same on the 3 sv`s I`v had, I just put it down to the diopter creeping over time.
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 09:03   #152
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Well, I did have to make adjustments to the diopter on my 2 UV and 1 FL after periods of use, I`v never had to do the same on the 3 sv`s I`v had, I just put it down to the diopter creeping over time.
Could it have been your eyesight that was changing?

Lee
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 09:17   #153
SteveTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwever View Post
Yes, defend someone’s right to have a shifting opinion when they’re assimilating new evidence or reconsidering existing evidence. Shifting reality, not so much, it is inauthentic and diminishes the purpose of this site.
Deploying the site's 'ignore list' is always an option if the conversation becomes too much to bear, at least then the downright boring, the psychedelically vicarious, and the congenitally repetitive will disappear at the touch of a button and you won't miss anything.

Regards, Steve
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 09:20   #154
SteveTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post

Lee
Good point, and over time this is inevitable. Many glasses wearers will opt for an annual eye test, myself included.

Age and health are perhaps the most important factors in changing eyesight.
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 14:28   #155
Torview

Quote:

Lee
No, the diopter scale would slowly migrate from its setting.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 01:56   #156
NDhunter

It seems this thread has degraded into a thing about Swaro. focusers and that is unfortunate.

What does seem to be important is optics and ergos. And that is where all of these top optics brands
do differ. You can choose the optics you may prefer among the EL Swarovision, Nikon EDG, Zeiss Victory SF
and the Leica Noctovid.

They are all very good, but as far as ergos, the Zeiss Victory SF wins hands down, with the perfect focuser placement, great balance and all, the rest of them do follow a step behind.

So, there you have it, in my honest opinion.

Jerry
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 06:54   #157
Troubador

Absolutely right about SF Jerry.

When I first tried out Noctivid I was really disappointed. Not with the optics but with the handling. Sliding my three fingers from middle to pinky around the right-hand barrel my first finger just couldn't reach the focuser. I had to shift my hand up towards the eyepieces. OK, now I could reach the focuser but my grip could have been the kind of grip you might have on any closed-hinge bino and the open-hinge design seemed then pointless.

Of course I could use Noctivid with that grip and the optics are great but I found that such a disappointment. Last year my brother-in-law bought a Noctivid so I have had the chance to pick it up from time to time and it still feels odd to have to shuffle my hands around to find the focuser when just by picking up an SF my first finger is automatically straight onto the focuser.

Lee
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 14:55   #158
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
It seems this thread has degraded into a thing about Swaro. focusers and that is unfortunate.

What does seem to be important is optics and ergos. And that is where all of these top optics brands
do differ. You can choose the optics you may prefer among the EL Swarovision, Nikon EDG, Zeiss Victory SF
and the Leica Noctovid.

They are all very good, but as far as ergos, the Zeiss Victory SF wins hands down, with the perfect focuser placement, great balance and all, the rest of them do follow a step behind.

So, there you have it, in my honest opinion.

Jerry
Quote:
Absolutely right about SF Jerry.

When I first tried out Noctivid I was really disappointed. Not with the optics but with the handling. Sliding my three fingers from middle to pinky around the right-hand barrel my first finger just couldn't reach the focuser. I had to shift my hand up towards the eyepieces. OK, now I could reach the focuser but my grip could have been the kind of grip you might have on any closed-hinge bino and the open-hinge design seemed then pointless.

Of course I could use Noctivid with that grip and the optics are great but I found that such a disappointment. Last year my brother-in-law bought a Noctivid so I have had the chance to pick it up from time to time and it still feels odd to have to shuffle my hands around to find the focuser when just by picking up an SF my first finger is automatically straight onto the focuser.

Lee
I think it's all a matter of what one is used to and likes/dislikes. I certainly have had no ill effects from using a Noctivid day in day out. After a minute or two using it becomes second nature regardless of what binocular I was using prior.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 15:50   #159
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post

I think it's all a matter of what one is used to and likes/dislikes. I certainly have had no ill effects from using a Noctivid day in day out. After a minute or two using it becomes second nature regardless of what binocular I was using prior.
With regard to likes and dislikes and what one is used to: of course you are right, and like I said, you can easily get a usable grip on Noctivid.

BUT you think you have had no ill effects from using Noctivid day in day out? Not too sure about that Chuck, seems to me you have more plasticity than you used to have .

Lee
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 16:57   #160
wdc

I always feel better after I vomit anyways, so no permanent ill effect issues there for me either with the aforementioned bin. Just get it out of the way, then its smooth sailing!

I must say that when I first picked up the Noctivid it just slid right out of my hands and dropped to the ground. Took me awhile to figure out that sure grip. Then the focuser... wha? I couldn't even find it. Had to pull the bins from my eyes and check the grip. Oh! There it was. Eventually I could do it without checking my hands. Heck yea! I could almost smell that magical contrast oozing out of the focuser..

Now where did that dang bird go?

One more thing! I found that if I use the SF with the flat field, my wife comments on my 2 dimensionality more, so Zeiss and Swaro users take note of that. You've been warned.

Happy Friday, and I hope you all get some birding in over the weekend.

-Bill

Last edited by wdc : Friday 11th October 2019 at 22:35.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 23:51   #161
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
You've had a problem with Leica BA/BN/Ultravid? I never have. Nor have I had any problem with Zeiss FL.

--AP
The diopter setting of my 8x32FL does drift a little, especially when the binocular hasn't been used for a few weeks. I don't mind re-setting it.

I must have been very lucky with the binoculars I've tried (or chaps like denco must have the touch of a safe-cracker), as, although some were more pleasant to use than others, none have been outright unacceptable. My birding doesn't require constant significant focus adjustment from near to far like some others do, though; the times I've been birding in wooded areas I've noted that the focus wheel needs to be worked a lot more. Most of the time only quite small adjustments are needed - that's why I prefer the focus gearing to be quite slow (for better fine-tuning) and the focus weight to be, I think, on the heavy side compared to others.

I like the compactness of the Noctivid; my hands/fingers are able to get a good grip around the barrels so the open bridge is useful (though I have no real trouble holding more traditional roof binoculars steady) and, for what it's worth, I think top tier modern binoculars are very well made. That bracket of binocular is certainly not competing with PRC made product. The best of the tier below, like the Meostar range and also the Conquest HD, also strike me as being very solid. I'd certainly rather use either of those in demanding conditions than any of the great classics of the past (except maybe a Leica BA/BN aka "brick' in good repair).

PS. I have to admit I find denco's opinions very entertaining, but in order to get the complete perspective, one needs to read both the "before" and "after"...
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 14:47   #162
CharleyBird

Indeed an entertaining thread

My five minutes play with the two NVD's found no problem with either regarding their focussing, and they were good for me to hold.
Enjoy nitpicking about the contenders, and then pick your poison.

And with much of what has been discussed above in mind, today I bought some new Nikon 8x30 E11.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 15:05   #163
[email protected]

"PS. I have to admit I find denco's opinions very entertaining, but in order to get the complete perspective, one needs to read both the "before" and "after"..."

That is logical isn't it? Before I get the binocular and after I have it for awhile and have time to evaluate it. I am glad you like my posts.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 15:07   #164
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
Indeed an entertaining thread

My five minutes play with the two NVD's found no problem with either regarding their focussing, and they were good for me to hold.
Enjoy nitpicking about the contenders, and then pick your poison.

And with much of what has been discussed above in mind, today I bought some new Nikon 8x30 E11.
For the money you can't go wrong with a good porro like Nikon 8x30 EII. If budget is not a problem and you want a good birding binocular put the Zeiss SF 8x42, Leica Noctivid 8x42, Swarovski SV 8.5x42 and the Nikon EDG 8x42 on a table and then try them all and pick the one YOU like the best. Your done! Go bird.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 12th October 2019 at 15:11.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 17:24   #165
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

That is logical isn't it? Before I get the binocular and after I have it for awhile and have time to evaluate it.
I refer to your posts before and after you sell a binocular.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 20:37   #166
CharleyBird

Quote:
For the money you can't go wrong with a good porro like Nikon 8x30 EII. If budget is not a problem and you want a good birding binocular put the Zeiss SF 8x42, Leica Noctivid 8x42, Swarovski SV 8.5x42 and the Nikon EDG 8x42 on a table and then try them all and pick the one YOU like the best. Your done! Go bird.
Price never even entered the equation; those you mentioned would be left on the table.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 20:50   #167
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
Price never even entered the equation; those you mentioned would be left on the table.
I like my Nikon 8x30 EII also. It is a unique binocular with it's big easy view. All the porro's have a uniqueness to their view. The Habicht's do to. The view is just different than a roof with more 3D and often times brighter too. The one weak spot of the EII IMO is contrast. The Habicht is brighter and has better contrast. Also, the alpha roof's have better contrast than the EII. From the Greatist Binoculars Reviews. http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/al...0e2review.html

"The bad things - what the Habicht does better

1. No way around it - the Nikon images are much darker and much redder than the Habicht´s, and this was my crucial point, I just missed that Habicht sparkle, despite extreme sharpness the Nikon is almost a bit depressing in comparison. Like in the EDG I suspect Nikon is making the images darker than necessary to crush the blacks and thereby increasing perceived contrast at the expense of brightness.

2. Contrast and sharpness: The Nikon is - typical for Nikon - brutally sharp, but if we look at finer details and textures, it cannot quite match the Habicht."

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 13th October 2019 at 18:33.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 22:54   #168
Martin Smyth
For a minute there I lost myself

Considering this is actually, and primarily a forum for Birds, Birding, Birders, most people on his thread use these Premium binoculars for that said purpose, are any of the Tedious threads on the mechanics of a binocular actually alluding to their unhappiness at actually Birding or Birdwatching using them, Fwiw my 10s are really superb, the issue i thought i had with them is now resolved, my error it turned out to be is me.

View: is crystal clear
Ergonomics: no hindrance as i have rather large hands (focus adjusting wheel)
Focussing wheel: like liquid velvet
Image: sometimes breathtakingly sharp (Conditions of viewing)

So for actually Birding 10/10
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 02:15   #169
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smyth View Post
Considering this is actually, and primarily a forum for Birds, Birding, Birders, most people on his thread use these Premium binoculars for that said purpose, are any of the Tedious threads on the mechanics of a binocular actually alluding to their unhappiness at actually Birding or Birdwatching using them, Fwiw my 10s are really superb, the issue i thought i had with them is now resolved, my error it turned out to be is me.

View: is crystal clear
Ergonomics: no hindrance as i have rather large hands (focus adjusting wheel)
Focussing wheel: like liquid velvet
Image: sometimes breathtakingly sharp (Conditions of viewing)

So for actually Birding 10/10
Yes in all respects. Thank you for boiling it down to pertinent issues.

I was out this morning for 3.5 hours at Arrowhead Marsh, near the Oakland Estuary. In that time, I was able to pick up 48 birds, ducks, raptors, shorebirds, and passerines... everything from Northern Harriers, to Rails, Bushtits., sparrows, and warblers. The binoculars are a vehicle for entering into that world of delightful observation. The Noctivids did a great job.

Truthfully, there's many binoculars that can satisfy in this regard. Its getting out and using them that matters the most, and puts them to work.

-Bill

Last edited by wdc : Sunday 13th October 2019 at 02:35.
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 06:35   #170
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post

Truthfully, there's many binoculars that can satisfy in this regard. Its getting out and using them that matters the most, and puts them to work.

-Bill

Ain't that the truth.

Lee
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 16:03   #171
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
(to denco) I refer to your posts before and after you sell a binocular.
You know, I recall someone here saying something very wise about the little voices in our head that stuck in my mind and seems apropos here, so I looked it up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
It has been my position for some time now that any particular users satisfaction level with any product you care to name, is dependent upon what it takes that user to be able to shut off the little voices we all have whispering in our ear telling us there has to be something better. We all like the idea of getting premium quality at whatever level our disposable income budget deems affordable. The main advantage of spending the $$ for a top tier binocular is that at that point those little voices calm to the point where the user can tune them out and just use the binocular. The reason is that there is the realization that there is nothing better to be had. That is the prime reason for spending cash on a Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica, at least in my opinion. As far as binoculars go I evidently can tune out the little voices better than some others. I have been looking for the right alpha binocular for me sin[c]e 1993. Still looking. From my perspective the big guns make lots of noise, but they don't live up to their hype by [a] long shot.
No binocular is perfect. I would just add that if even the alphas can't calm those little voices, the relevant mantra would be: "there is nothing better to be had"... and there are times when I need to recite it myself.
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 16:27   #172
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

I do not have voices in my head that I need tuning out, some spend $$ on more frivolous things and that is their business, I spend it on optics, and I enjoy the variation of views.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 16:45   #173
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
I do not have voices in my head that I need tuning out, some spend $$ on more frivolous things and that is their business, I spend it on optics, and I enjoy the variation of views.

Andy W.
So right Andy. Some folks have an alpha car, go to alpha restaurants, use alpha smart phones and have alpha 'home-cinema' and audio outfits. We have a Skoda car, lots of binos and take holidays mostly in Scotland. Its just personal choices.

Lee
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 18:13   #174
Steve C

Andy, Lee,

Guys we all have the little voices. Your comments indicate to me that yours are those of the easily calmed variety and you have no need to pay attention to them. The three of us are evidently in the same position. I like to look things over just for the sake of looking it over, but I have no need to look past what I am using now.

When I find something that intrigues me, I may well buy it just to have it for a more serious evaluation.

All one has to do is to look at the various posts that pop up everywhere about comparing this binocular to that binocular and it becomes pretty clear there are lots of those little voices speaking into lots of ears. There is not a thing in this world the matter with that. We all have our own paths to finding gear we like. When we do find what suits us,I say the reason has more to do with ergonomics than with optics.

Some can be satisfied, some are always looking, forever discarding, and shouting their opinions as gospel.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 07:22   #175
CharleyBird

Quote:
I like my Nikon 8x30 EII also. It is a unique binocular with it's big easy view. All the porro's have a uniqueness to their view. The Habicht's do to. The view is just different than a roof with more 3D and often times brighter too. The one weak spot of the EII IMO is contrast. The Habicht is brighter and has better contrast. Also, the alpha roof's have better contrast than the EII. From the Greatist Binoculars Reviews. http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/al...0e2review.html

"The bad things - what the Habicht does better

1. No way around it - the Nikon images are much darker and much redder than the Habicht´s, and this was my crucial point, I just missed that Habicht sparkle, despite extreme sharpness the Nikon is almost a bit depressing in comparison. Like in the EDG I suspect Nikon is making the images darker than necessary to crush the blacks and thereby increasing perceived contrast at the expense of brightness.

2. Contrast and sharpness: The Nikon is - typical for Nikon - brutally sharp, but if we look at finer details and textures, it cannot quite match the Habicht."

You may have guessed that in buying these binoculars, optical quality was of second consideration, way after ergonomics.
I thought you sold your Habichts after the goat incident?
Are your Nikons the recent E11's with the new coatings?

Back on thread, I would probably go for the 10x42 NCV, as the image was steady for me. But having bought a couple Leicas this year shall resist as I'm in danger of becoming a fanboy
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: