• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I no longer recomend Panasonic (1 Viewer)

nikonmike

If things change i will update this thread,when i first had a 100-400 it had an internal failure at about 11 months, Panasonic exchanged it and i sang their praises, i now wonder if they exchanged because they don't repair lenses.
Ok if it fails within the 12 month warranty period but what about at 13 months and what about if you have an accident with it.

Here are links to two more threads that make me disgusted with Panasonic and the lack of support, please read them and then make your own informed decision.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/panasonic-repair-service-woes.97917/#post-1144865

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47481

Poor serviceability is probably inherent in the design process of modern cameras.
They are stuffed with small sensors and activators that need to fit just so.
A repair facility does not have all the tools and experience that the factory did, nor are spare parts abundant given the plethora of offerings. So the service results lag as well.
Imho, apart from truly professional gear, supported by services which also require annual fees, there is no reliable repair option.

The 8-18 they say has no repair route is a £1049 lens, hardly consumer throw away electronics.

At the end of the day though my pushing of Panasonic is all over forums and i feel the need to retract it and as i said suggest people do their own research.

That is certainly some negative experiences. There was one counter from one correspondent. I will stick with what I have and probably not buy extra for now - but the thing is, what I have is (so far) serving me very well.

Niels

That is certainly some negative experiences. There was one counter from one correspondent. I will stick with what I have and probably not buy extra for now - but the thing is, what I have is (so far) serving me very well.

Niels

Yes i just think it should be taken into consideration before someone buys into Panasonic as a new system, my G80 and 100-400 are a great combination and i hope Panasonic buck their ideas up.

Poor serviceability is probably inherent in the design process of modern cameras.
They are stuffed with small sensors and activators that need to fit just so.
A repair facility does not have all the tools and experience that the factory did, nor are spare parts abundant given the plethora of offerings. So the service results lag as well.
Imho, apart from truly professional gear, supported by services which also require annual fees, there is no reliable repair option.

+1 :t:

Service departments cannot possibly duplicate the precision of normal manufacturing equipment and jigs for cost reasons, so in most cases the results are not as good as properly set-up and calibrated normal production processes and resultant units. Sometimes an extremely skilled and well equipped service technician may give superior results in certain areas, but unless I'm having something customized above and beyond the normal spec, I think I would tend to favour a replacement unit.

Chosun :gh:

The 8-18 they say has no repair route is a £1049 lens, hardly consumer throw away electronics.

Our opinion on the value of repair is clearly not shared by this manufacturer, along with many others. It is the same in the binocular space. Afaik much of that industry is also moving away from repair services in favor of outright replacement.
The best that one might expect in cases such as yours would be some form of trade in credit for the failed item. It might be worth contacting Panasonic to ask whether they offer such a credit.

Our opinion on the value of repair is clearly not shared by this manufacturer, along with many others. It is the same in the binocular space. Afaik much of that industry is also moving away from repair services in favor of outright replacement.
The best that one might expect in cases such as yours would be some form of trade in credit for the failed item. It might be worth contacting Panasonic to ask whether they offer such a credit.

Its not my lens,i just brought the situation to light as ime disgusted with it.

If things change i will update this thread,when i first had a 100-400 it had an internal failure at about 11 months, Panasonic exchanged it and i sang their praises, i now wonder if they exchanged because they don't repair lenses.
Ok if it fails within the 12 month warranty period but what about at 13 months and what about if you have an accident with it.

Here are links to two more threads that make me disgusted with Panasonic and the lack of support, please read them and then make your own informed decision.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/panasonic-repair-service-woes.97917/#post-1144865

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47481

I had the same set up as you. Nearly a year ago I broke the lens, it was my own stupid fault, I knocked it off a shelf in a hide and the lens broke on the mount where it attaches to the camera. Fortunately the camera was undamaged. I took the lens to the Panasonic repair centre where they took one look at it and said they would be capable or repairing it but the parts were unavailable. I'm now using a 100-300 Mk11, its not too bad and much lighter than the 100-400. I am reluctant to buy another 100-400 as I feel this is poor service for something in this price range.

Should anything happen to either this lens or the camera I won't be spending any more money on Panasonic gear.

We live in pretty much a throwaway era

There are companies which offer extremely generous and supportive customer service, but these mostly are premium brands like Swarovski and Zeiss. The premium for this level of service is largely included in the price you pay for the original product.

Otherwise, it seems like most (all?) companies selling cameras and lenses have come to the point where repairs are so expensive that it is more practical to throw away damaged items than to fix them. People in the Nikon forum constantly gripe about "poor customer service." Canon is still a bit better, but for how long, I wonder? My Kowa spotting scope was damaged last year and yes, they ultimately fixed it but it took a really long time and it was not cheap.

One positive thing is that Panasonic is (almost) routinely extending its one-year warranties to three years. That's something, anyway. Meanwhile, I have had several Panasonic cameras and lenses and have had no problems at all. To some extent, when we buy a complex optical/electronic product we are rolling the dice that we will not get stuck with the occasional lemon.

I think the quality of Panny gear is such that I will continue to buy from them, though yes, with a bit of caveat emptor in the back of my mind.

Looks like things could be getting better

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61221055

Cash back promotions may not be strictly considered customer service but is certainly to be considered part of the customer experience.

I recently purchased a G9 body with a £300 cashback promotional offer, the expected reminder to apply for cashback arrived on time. My application was approved the day after submission and a cheque arrived 13 days later, well within the promised 28 days.

Maybe I've been lucky but having owned a variety of Panasonic bridge cameras, m4/3 bodies and lenses without as yet, requiring repair - I can't complain.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back