• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The P1000 is big (1 Viewer)

I’ve seen some gr at videos of the zoom capability of this camera. Does anyone know how the magnification would compare to a 20-60x on a 82mm scope? I am usually viewing through my iPhone which is adapted to my scope and it can get a bit cumbersome and fiddly with the iPhone. I was wondering how the p1000 would compare.
Since 50mm on a FF camera is the standard view, a 60-fold magnification would be just the 3000mm equivalent offered by the P1000.

further updates on P1000

Got this shot after chasing the little fella around a rose bush. Dull, overcast, spitting with rain.

700mm,ISO 400 F5.0 cropped from original

Getting used to the weight and the large size now. The bulky barrel makes if a bit tricky picking it up, can't quite wrap my fingers around it, so making sure sling is round my neck before trying to pick it up.

Loving the EVF and getting "on target" first time pretty much all the time now. When I can get the right conditions I will be trying BIF.

Den

Attachments

• Owlpoo1Original2.JPG
    Owlpoo1Original2.JPG
    704.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Chiff chaff 2.jpg
    Chiff chaff 2.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Yes Bambam, both the original Nikon one and both the 3rd party ones charge OK. All three seem to last several hours of messing about. Seem to charge in about 5 hours. Very handy while in garden or conservatory!

Really falling in love with this camera now, all the knobs and dials are so much easier than the P900, and the manual focus is so simple and positive I will be using it quite a lot. Never got to grips with the P900 manual setup.
Seems, only seems, that the picture quality is better than the 900 in the mid range 500 to 1500mm. Getting quite a lot of keepers, some have surprised me!

One thing I have noticed is that the VR must be turned off if using a tripod, never had to do that with the 900.
I have never used a digital SLR so can only comment on the Nikon 880, 900 and now the 1000.

Den

Thank you Den.
I have one preordered from Clifton Cameras and can't wait for it to come.
It's my first zoom camera so watching this thread and reading on what it can and can't do
and what addons are available for it.

Can anyone say how the P1000 compares with the P900 for birds at 2000mm equiv?

And is a photo of a bird at 2500-3000mm on the P1000 superior for IQ compared with a P900 at 2000mm cropped to eqivalent focal length/FOV?

Nick,something I was wondering about. I have both so will do some comparative testing. Not done a side by side test yet, but even if the end results are the same, the 1000 is all round a huge improvement over the 900.

Sun is shining tomorrow so will set up 2 tripods side by side and see what comes out.

Den

That would be a very interesting test Den! Please post your findings.

A further question. Is the P1000 useable hand-held (without tripod) right up to 3000mm? I use my P900 at 2000mm handeld most of the time.

test shots 900 and 1000

both cameras on remote..... one more to come P1000 at 2000mm

Attachments

• 900 250mm.JPG
    900 250mm.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 900 700mm.JPG
    900 700mm.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 900 2000mm.JPG
    900 2000mm.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 1000 320mm.JPG
    1000 320mm.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 1000 650mm.JPG
    1000 650mm.JPG
    558.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
P1000 at 2000

last pic... going to be a tricky getting birds to stay still long enough to change cameras :) Anyone got any ideas? There does seem to be a bit of difference in image size between the 900 at 2000 and the 1000 at 2000.

Nick, you will find a huge improvement in the EVF. it makes chasing the bird so much easier than with the 900. Seems to give me just enough time to find the bird and get the shot, whereas with the 900 by the time I have found the bird it has usually moved :)

I have just spent an hour or so chasing the Chiff Chaf, a good game to keep one busy. I had great difficulty even "getting on the bird" with the 900 but got several good shots with the 1000. No brainer for me, glad I changed, quite a few more improvements but for me the main one has been the EVF

Den

Attachments

• 1000 2000.JPG
    1000 2000.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Very interesting Den. Would have been nice to see 2500mm and 3000mm shots of the plate on the P1000 also.

Interested to see how IQ compares between 3000mm on the P1000 and 2000mm on the P900 with cropping.

cheers,
Nick

The hope is that a P1000/monopod combo might serve travelers more productively than the venerable scope/tripod choice.
The idea would be a material savings in weight and bulk. This assumes the camera stabilization is sufficiently effective to allow it to perform adequately. Obviously the image will be constrained by the display, but it should be good enough.
Hopefully there will be some feedback on this potential from the early users. Possibly the P1000 could emerge as the poor man's EDG VR scope alternative.

Last edited:
After 3 weeks or so of continual use I would have to say that once you get used to the extra bulk of the 1000 then it is a vastly better camera. To be honest I am not really bothered about the moon or the planets, what I hoped for was better performance in the mid range and I think I have got that......especially when the light is a bit dull.

My garden faces SE so I am facing in to sun until midday this means either deep shade under the trees and shrubs, or backlit birds out in the open..........tricky. I have spent a lot of time chasing a couple of chiff chats on nearly bare Hawthorne tree and they just won’t stay still, but the AF works like lightning the moment I latch on to the bird.
The large bright EVF is superb, especially searching for a tiny bird 20 yards away among a lot of branches.
The Manual focus button and ring (on lens barrel) are simplicity itself, other buttons and dials are much firmer than the 900, and all in all I can only say that the 1000 is a huge upgrade from the 900........twice the price but twice the camera.
Den

Last edited:
Just a word or two more re the p1000, while out in the woods a few days ago I spotted a small bird almost hidden in the foliage of a tree. Could not see enough of it to tell what it was, but pointed the camera and fired off 7 shots. When I got home and checked I had got a charming shot of a Blackcap peeping out at me.
On the 900 the only indication of zoom level is a blue bar, on the 1000 you get a number showing exactly what the zoom is, even for example, 620/ 750/2200 etc. Very handy info, enables me to switch from level to another and back again knowing just where I started.

Den

Attachments

• Small blackcap.JPG
    Small blackcap.JPG
    837.9 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
I find the P1000 great too...reach, quality, portability, the EVF is great. If the IQ is good enough for your expectations, and the size is not an issue (that was my fear coming from the P900 and got used to it very quickly) it is a great camera.

Just a word or two more re the p1000, while out in the woods a few days ago I spotted a small bird almost hidden in the foliage of a tree. Could not see enough of it to tell what it was, but pointed the camera and fired off 7 shots. When I got home and checked I had got a charming shot of a Blackcap peeping out at me.
On the 900 the only indication of zoom level is a blue bar, on the 1000 you get a number showing exactly what the zoom is, even for example, 620/ 750/2200 etc. Very handy info, enables me to switch from level to another and back again knowing just where I started.

Den

Very nice :)

I wonder about performance of autofocus - did anyone tried to take picture of birds in flight ? Or warblers in foliage ? They are difficult for any camera, but some of them do their job... And samples :) at full resolution, please :)

Jacek, spent a lot of time chasing a Chiff Chaff in foliage. Distance about 12 mtrs, Camera did an excellent job of picking out the little bird. Apart from the blurred ones when bird moved to quick all were useable shots. This bird never kept still for more than a second or so camera had to work hard to find and then focus giving me enough time to press the shutter. It did an excellent job.
The previous pic of the little Blackcap is a good example, all I could see of the bird was a movement in the foliage, I fired off a burst of 7 shots and all were useable, except the one or two where the head was tipped sideways,

Got a lot of good shots of Kestrel hovering, but as it stayed still for quite long spells I don't think I would count it as a BIF :)

Unfortunately all the pics have been deleted from camera, but trust me, the 1000 does an excellent job.

Den

Two more useful items.on the 1000, the snap back button has 3 settings so you can pick the shortest one which is quicker to react,giving more time to get the shot before bird moves.

There is a separate dedicated bird button on top dial, and if you then click on the lower dial you can set to infinity. I am hoping this will work for BIF. I suspect this is why Nikon added it, they do seem to have considered us birders with this camera.

Den

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back