Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Apps and other kit for beginners.

Old Thursday 1st March 2018, 14:36   #1
Roper1

Apps and other kit for beginners.

Hello, We moved to England recently and my 10 year old son and I would like to learn more about birds here. We are based in North Derbyshire/ South Yorkshire areas. Are there any good apps to help get us started? We have a book from the rspb on the way and an old pair of binoculars. Are there any essentials we should look out for?
Thanks
Old Monday 5th March 2018, 12:37   #2
Nick-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper1 View Post
Hello, We moved to England recently and my 10 year old son and I would like to learn more about birds here. We are based in North Derbyshire/ South Yorkshire areas. Are there any good apps to help get us started? We have a book from the rspb on the way and an old pair of binoculars. Are there any essentials we should look out for?
Thanks
Another pair of binoculars. Sharing binoculars is no fun at all and two pairs of eyes are better than one when trying to locate birds.
Joining the RSPB and then go on outings with the local group would be a good start, lots of advice and information from other local people available that way!

HTH

Nick
Old Thursday 12th April 2018, 04:55   #3
yolokat66

Hi I use audubon bird guide app very useful has lists to check off birds u see and has a section to help u find out what kind of bird ur seening
Old Thursday 12th April 2018, 15:40   #4
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

A copy of Collins Bird Guide is also all but essential.

PS welcome to Birdforum!
Old Thursday 12th April 2018, 16:14   #5
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Hi Roper1 and welcome to Birdforum

I agree with Nutcracker. Collins guide is definitely recommended.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th April 2018, 16:27   #6
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post

PS welcome to Birdforum!
Also available as an app if you prefer.

A warm welcome from me too!

Chris

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th April 2018, 17:50   #7
Julie50

Welcome :) I have only been birding a year - but here is my twopeneths worth!

I also take my birding rucksack everywhere I go. As well as my binoculars and camera it contains, lens wipes, tissues, baby wipes, a note book and gel pen (always works in the cold and wet!), my Collins and La Rousse ID books and my WWT and RSPB cards.

I would recommend joining the local Wildlife Trust as a well as the RSPB. It is cheap and you can get free entry and parking to all Wildlife Trust reserves around the country, except Norfolk!

Have fun birding!
Old Thursday 12th April 2018, 18:08   #8
interoception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post

PS welcome to Birdforum!
Collins Bird Guide app is very useful too (to supplement the book) as it's lighter to carry and has recordings of the birdsong.
Old Friday 13th April 2018, 11:34   #9
kb57

Although the Collins guide is excellent and a book you will certainly want to move on to as your interest develops, the RSPB guide is arguably better for beginners as it focusses on species you are likely to see in Britain. It also has more information on the status and distribution of individual species, and is lighter and easier to carry around.
I can't comment on the Collins app as I've not used it, but certainly having recordings of song and calls would be a useful asset - learning bird song is a very useful skill as well as very rewarding, and you are starting at the right time of year as the breeding season is getting underway.
Old Friday 15th June 2018, 09:46   #10
kamino17

Check out this article, "Bird Watching Beginners Guide" it's really easy to follow and it also shows three cool Birding Apps (Merlin Bird ID, Audubon Bird Guide App, and eBird by Cornell Lab) that you can use for bird watching. Good luck to you mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper1 View Post
Thanks
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: