• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Successful first year for new reserve. (1 Viewer)

trw

More positive news of a local reserve being created.
Unusually it has been made by a large leisure firm which owns the adjoining caravan site. They've done a good job screening off the two scrapes they've dug out and erecting nest boxes in the local wood that's part of the reserve.

A report says, ' Very successful first spring.
Lapwing 6 pairs 11 young seen recently and 2 pairs still incubating.
Mallard at least 4 broods.
Little Grebe 1 pair incubating
Tufted Duck female with 7 young today
Marsh and Coal Tit successful in nest boxes.

That's good news indeed Pratincol.... particularly so with the Lapwings finding it a good place to nest.

Where is it?

That's good news indeed Pratincol.... particularly so with the Lapwings finding it a good place to nest.

Where is it?
Opposite Fell End Caravan Park, near Beetham, South Lakes.
Good news indeed about the Lapwings. They struggle round here in the farm fields.
The National Trust wetland reserve created recently in the Lyth Valley hosted successful Lapwing breeders last year. Not sure what's happened this year.

How lovely to have another nature reserve in the area. Good luck to them.

Is it open to the public?

Nice.... on one of my runs down to Wales, I might stop in there for a change instead of Leighton Moss or Warton Crag.

Nice.... on one of my runs down to Wales, I might stop in there for a change instead of Leighton Moss or Warton Crag.

Forgot to mention no dogs are allowed on any part of the reserve in case there are any dog owners going there.
If you are visiting the area let me know. There are a lot of great alternatives to Leighton Moss[ good as it is!], depending on what sort of birds you enjoy seeing.
Send a pm if you want to.

Last edited:
Went to this new reserve again, last week. It's teeming with Common Teal. Up to 400 have already been seen and it's only September.
A Gargany was there last week with some Lapwing.
A Marsh Harrier visited when I was there- a regular sighting here apparently.
The owners have extended the water area which might explain the number of waterfowl here.
The Lapwing, Little Grebe and Tufted Duck all bred successfully this year.
I gather the 'no dogs' policy has been observed too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back