• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?crested larks, Portugal & Spain (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
for the moment all of the attached (+the ones in the following post) are marked in my notes as ?crested lark, but seeing that there's a multitude of different larks that occur on the iberian peninsula, it could well be that some (or even most) of them are something different

can anyone help ?

the details :

(1) Cabo Vidio, Asturias
(2) Peniche, coast north of Lisbon
(3) + (4) Lagoas de Santo Andre, south-west coast of Portugal
(5) Amoreira Beach, south-western tip of Portugal

all taken in the last week of august and first half of september

Attachments

• Img_2483.jpg
    Img_2483.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Img_3479.jpg
    Img_3479.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Img_3631.jpg
    Img_3631.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Img_3681.jpg
    Img_3681.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Img_3818.jpg
    Img_3818.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 54
continuation of the previous post

details of pics :

(6) Castro Verde, inland southern Portugal
(7) Mina de Sao Domingos, southern part of Portugal near Spain
(8) Ruinas Romanas de Sao Cucufate, south-central Portugal
(9) Evoramonte, south-central Portugal

Attachments

• Img_3960.jpg
    Img_3960.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Img_4055.jpg
    Img_4055.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 14
  • Img_4116.jpg
    Img_4116.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Img_4203.jpg
    Img_4203.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 20
1 - Crested
2 - Crested although hard to be sure about bill shape ....
3 - Crested
4 - Crested
5 - Thekla - check the bill shape!
6 - Crested
7 - Crested
8 - Thekla - relatively short almost stubby bill
9 - hard to be sure as details of the plumage aren't clear and you can't accurately gauge bill length/shape but on closer examination leaning towards Thekla

Last edited:
First set look all Crested to me except the last (5), taken at Praia da Amoreira, which is a clear Thekla's.

PS; this beach is about 30kms north of the southwestern tip, ie; Cabo de São Vicente ;)

Edit; I see John has responded - agree on all though not entirely happy with #8.

Last edited:
thanks for the help - unfortunately I don’t have any better pictures for the doubtful IDs, so probably will have to remain ?crested

Re-visiting No8 I'm still inclined towards Thekla. To me, the bill's lower mandible looks distinctly convex, the bill seems rather short, the crest shortish, the pale eye surround rather broad and it feels a tad stocky all of which point towards Thekla. On the other hand the bill seems a bit pale and when blown up the shape of the lower mandible less certain!

Re-visiting No8 I'm still inclined towards Thekla. To me, the bill's lower mandible looks distinctly convex, the bill seems rather short, the crest shortish, the pale eye surround rather broad and it feels a tad stocky all of which point towards Thekla. On the other hand the bill seems a bit pale and when blown up the shape of the lower mandible less certain!

Ok John - I'm just a bit worried about the rather sandy looking plumage overall, nothing else ;)

here's an earlier shot of the same bird, this time probably a bit underexposed

Attachments

• Img_4115.jpg
    Img_4115.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 12
Could well be simple overexposure. By the way, the south western coast of Portugal is one of the very few areas where Thekla's occur on a sandy substrate, at least in my experience. Its usually a bird of rocky ground with plenty of vegetation.

Edit: just seen the new pic - as the bird is less cropped its proportions now look right for Thekla's - nice and stocky rear body and short bill, at least for a Crested.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back