• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geological History of birds - recommend? (1 Viewer)

mike_gss

VERY new birder
In my professional life I'm a "biostratigrapher/micropaleontologist" - a bit of a mouthful but essentially I'm a geologist whose speciality is the ordering of rock layers based on the fossils they contain and ultimately the synthesising of biological and geological events in earth history. My work is carried out primarily for the oil & gas industry and the most common fossils used are microscopic organisms or other marine invertebrates.

Birdwatching, for me, is a new interest completely separate from my work life, but I'd like to understand more about the geological evolution and history of birds - the main taxonomic groupings, evolutionary phases etc. I'm sure there's a book(s) out there that cover this topic - can anyone please recommend one?

I'd be particularly intested in one which dovetails the geological history of birds into the current classification of living and recently extinct birds.

Thanks!

PS - if it helps I can also get access to, and obtain, journal articles etc. if actual books are hard to come by.

Last edited:
The Speciation and Biogeography of Birds by Ian Newton might be of interest. There's a lot in there about how geological history has influenced current bird distribution patterns.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back