• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is birding around Munich worth it in June? (1 Viewer)

wotterbed

Hello! I'll be visiting Munich for 3 days in late June and would like to plan a birding day trip via train. I am looking for places that are within an hour or so away from Munich. Hiking/walking trails are a plus.

After doing some research, I see that Ismaninger Speichersee, Murnauer Moos, Chiemsee, and Tegernsee are frequently mentioned but I see more posts about spring and fall migration. How are these birding locations in late June? Is there low bird activity in these areas around the summer?

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I'll be visiting Munich for 3 days in late June and would like to plan a birding day trip via train. I am looking for places that are within an hour or so away from Munich. Hiking/walking trails are a plus.

After doing some research, I see that Ismaninger Speichersee, Murnauer Moos, Chiemsee, and Tegernsee are frequently mentioned but I see more posts about spring and fall migration. How are these birding locations in late June? Is there low bird activity in these areas around the summer?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, it depends a bit what you're after. Late June, the lakes are maybe not the most excting as there is no migration. But if you're new to Europe, you will still find plenty of interesting birds there. June is good for the mountains, so if you're after Alpine birds, perfect time. Murnauer Moos is also nice, you may still hear Corncrake and find White-backed Woodpecker there.

I agree with Florian. The best wetland reserves have something to offer throughout the year, but in late spring and early summer, the mountains might be more interesting.

By the way (for my own benefit as much as the OP's - sorry for seizing the opportunity to hijack the thread), does anyone know which of the areas that are accessible by train/bus and are worth visiting in June are easiest/quickest to reach with public transport? My own target species are grouse, Golden Eagle, Three-toed Woodpecker, Bonelli's Warbler, Wallcreeper, Collared Flycatcher, Snow Finch, Citril Finch etc.

"My own target species are grouse, Golden Eagle, Three-toed Woodpecker, Bonelli's Warbler, Wallcreeper, Collared Flycatcher, Snow Finch, Citril Finch etc."

Because I live in Munich since 11 years, I saw this birds different time.
In last month I did about 20 bird tours.

Golden Eagle e.g medium chance way to Schafreuther + Moosenalm, Scheinbergspitze, Karwendelspitze
Three-toed Woodpecker e.g. low to medium chance Tatzelwurm or Moosenalm
Bonellis Warbler e.g. high chance way to Schafreuther + Moosenalm, at lift to Karwendelspitze
Wallcreeper e.g. low to medium chance at Karwendelspitze which can be reached via lift from Mittenwald
Collared Flycatcher e.g. medium to high chance at river Isar between Moosburg and Freisung, preferrable near Moosburg until next bridge, also at bridge on north east site
Snow Finch + Alpine Accentor e.g. high chance at Karwendelspitze
Citril Finch e.g. medium chance at Moosenalm
Short toed snake Eagle e.g. high chance if arrived at Murnauer Moos
check ornitho.de for "Schlangenadler"
https://www.ornitho.de/
choice "Letzte 7 Tage" means last 7 days
"BY" for Bavarian
"GAP" for Garmisch Patenkirchen

Capercaillie e.g. low chance at Tatzelwurm or ski route to Scheinbergspitze
White backed Woodpecker e.g. low tomedium chance at Tatzelwurm and even Murnauer Moos
Rock Ptarmigan e.g. medium chance at Schafreuther and Karwendelspitze
Rosefinch e.g. medium to high chance at Murnauer if arrived, check ornitho.de for "Karmingimpel"
Corncrake e.g. extrem low chance for seeing, high chance for hearing at Murnauer Moos
Red breasted Flycatcher e.g. low chance at palais Linderhof

Last edited:
Last edited:
"My own target species are grouse, Golden Eagle, Three-toed Woodpecker, Bonelli's Warbler, Wallcreeper, Collared Flycatcher, Snow Finch, Citril Finch etc."

Because I live in Munich since 11 years, I saw this birds different time.
In last month I did about 20 bird tours.

Golden Eagle e.g medium chance way to Schafreuther + Moosenalm, Scheinbergspitze, Karwendelspitze
Three-toed Woodpecker e.g. low to medium chance Tatzelwurm or Moosenalm
Bonellis Warbler e.g. high chance way to Schafreuther + Moosenalm, at lift to Karwendelspitze
Wallcreeper e.g. low to medium chance at Karwendelspitze which can be reached via lift from Mittenwald
Collared Flycatcher e.g. medium to high chance at river Isar between Moosburg and Freisung, preferrable near Moosburg until next bridge, also at bridge on north east site
Snow Finch + Alpine Accentor e.g. high chance at Karwendelspitze
Citril Finch e.g. medium chance at Moosenalm
Short toed snake Eagle e.g. high chance if arrived at Murnauer Moos
check ornitho.de for "Schlangenadler"
https://www.ornitho.de/
choice "Letzte 7 Tage" means last 7 days
"BY" for Bavarian
"GAP" for Garmisch Patenkirchen

Capercaillie e.g. low chance at Tatzelwurm or ski route to Scheinbergspitze
White backed Woodpecker e.g. low tomedium chance at Tatzelwurm and even Murnauer Moos
Rock Ptarmigan e.g. medium chance at Schafreuther and Karwendelspitze
Rosefinch e.g. medium to high chance at Murnauer if arrived, check ornitho.de for "Karmingimpel"
Corncrake e.g. extrem low chance for seeing, high chance for hearing at Murnauer Moos
Red breasted Flycatcher e.g. low chance at palais Linderhof
Thanks a lot :t: I had already marked the Karwendelspitze as a good target, based on the information at birdinggermany.de; will try to get there (and/or one of the other places) some time during the summer, or next year.

I agree about the lakes; AFAIK they are mostly good for wintering ducks, grebes, and divers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back