• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new hummingbird food is cloudy. (1 Viewer)

I just made some fresh hummingbird food and lately it seems to look cloudy after I put it in the feeders. I can't figure out why and have been making my own for years. I clean out my feeders and even bought some more feeders since I have about 25 or more hummingbirds flying around my feeders. I use 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and also boil it until the sugar has completely dissolved. I don't use any red food color in my food either. Don't know if someone else have has this issue before but would like to try and find out. Can someone please help me figure out why. My first 4 mixtures were not this way. But it just started happening. I do put it in the refrigerator in a red hummingbird jug. And I also fix some up in a clear milk jug that was washed out thoroughly . I don't want to do anything to mess up my hummingbirds.

Sounds as though you are doing everything right. The only thing I do is stir as it nears the boiling point (at this point the sugar is all dissolved) and then turn the heat off the minute it starts bubbling. Is the feeder in the sun? The first few times the weather may have been cooler and now that it has gotten warmer it may cloud up. Remember, in the heat of our summers the nectar should be changed out every other day at least.

Yes, they were in the sun (still are) and then the weather got 15 degrees cooler with 20 to 25 mile hr winds since last Friday. (5 days ago) Could that be my problem? Because the weather getting cooler? Do I need to make more and throw this mixture out. Or will I be okay to use it. Thanks for your helpful advice, and the quick response. I have to fix up 2 sets of mixtures a day. I figured that when it go cooler that they would slow down but to my supprise they wanted more. I even bought them a bigger 36 ounce feeder and it gets gone in 2 days. I also have 3/32 ounce feeders and 3/8 oince feeders and I keep a close eye on them to make sure when they get low to fill them up before I go to work that they want be out of food before I get off of work. Flowers haven't started blooming a whole lot just yet because of the frost we had a month ago, that got the ones that were starting to bloom.
Thanks, and hope I made some sense.

Holy cow, how many hummers do you have?

You know you can freeze a large batch and defrost as needed. I've found the direct sunlight will cloud up the nectar. I do not fill mine all the way up as I change it out every other day so it's just a waste of syrup going down the drain. Although in this wind the last two days, I've gone ahead and filled them to the top to give the feeders some added weight so it doesn't all blow out in the wind but normally, I fill them maybe a third full.

I have counted 25 or more but they say if you count you have mutiply by something not sure. I do see some of them that are or seem going to have some little one. I have to watch my head at times sitting on the back porch because they are zooming from everywhere. It's so amazing. I will try to freeze some too and thanks for the advice!
Oh by the way I see your from Myrtle Beach South Carolina. That is amazing. We are neighbors in a way! LOL!!

Last edited:
Oh I didn't check there, was trying to get the issue that you've help me with. That was about to drive me nuts. We most likely will come during the fall because of our business here. It blew my mind because you were so close to us. Just don't never know do you??

my feeders are in the sun for about three hours every day,, interesting that with the current temps in the mid 70s the nectar will last from three to five days before clouding,, ??? even out of the same large batch in the fridge I get different days of service,,

guess there is no pat answer on what makes the soultion turn cloudy in any amount of time,,

sister in-law has her feeders on the shade side of her trees and hers goes cloudy in about two days,, she can't believe I can get five days out of mine,, we live four miles apart,,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back