• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do they eat in winter, when nothing is in bloom? (1 Viewer)

RalphBean

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I life in Northern Calif and wonder what hummingbirds eat in this area in the winter. As far as I can tell, nothing is in bloom.

Thanks.

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to Birdforum, and not a dumb question at all.

While there may still be flowers blooming that you don't notice, nectar is not the Hummingbirds only food.

Just as you and I cannot survive on a diet of sugar alone, neither can the Hummingbird. They supplement their diet with insects and spiders which provide them with protein, fat, and minerals.

They will pluck spiders and fresh insects from webs and off plants and flowers, and they will catch flying insets in the air, a behavior known as "hawking".

Mike

In California, there are both winter-blooming native (e.g. various chaparral species) & non-native (lots of different kinds, including Eucalyptus) plants which hummers can feed on in the cold months. And, of course, in the suburbs there’s the sugar water in feeders. Another energy source is tree sap, either naturally exuding or from woodpecker borings (e.g., sapsucker wells).

For protein, they exploit the same kinds of tiny invertebrates they feed on in the other seasons, including those attracted to sap wells & other sources of tree sap.

Are there less hummingbirds in N California in the winter? Most species/ individuals migrate south with only some remaining??

Are there less hummingbirds in N California in the winter? Most species/ individuals migrate south with only some remaining??

Most species migrate, but Anna’s hummers stick around all year & are easily seen wherever there are feeders.

Now, 2 years ago when I had a hummer all winter, I was amazed to see hummers going after the sap the Sapsuckers had let loose but then I realized, it wasn't the sap but bugs stuck in the sap. Same with suet. Of course down here my winters aren't as severe as some so I keep bugs pretty much all year long ;)

Jmepler, fugl, dantheman, KCFoggin, thanks very much for the replies. How interesting, about the hummingbird's diet!

Dave B Smith, thank you for the welcome. You seem like a very knowledgeable and friendly bunch.

Ralph

Most species migrate, but Anna’s hummers stick around all year & are easily seen wherever there are feeders.

Some Anna's also live year round in Oregon. They tend to be a bit less energetic, but they do eat insects and many people keep feeders out for them.

Yes yes yes and yes. My local Anna's love to capture small insects on the wing in my yard. Unlike some neighbors, I never spray pesticides (to kill everything). Each afternoon my lawn launches little swarms of harmless midges. Hummers love them - along with winter blooms and folks feeders.

Hi Ralph,

They supplement their diet with insects and spiders which provide them with protein, fat, and minerals.

They will pluck spiders and fresh insects from webs and off plants and flowers, and they will catch flying insets in the air, a behavior known as "hawking".

Mike

Actually, insects are more than "a supplement". Studies are showing that they may compose more than 50% of the hummingbird diet!

humminbird,

I wasn't sure of percentages. I do know that I see more Hummingbirds hawking insects than I see feeding on flowers, but that is largely due to the fact that I go birding where there are more insects than there are flowers.

Mike

The title itself is all you need to see that this physicist did not even take the time to observe a hummingbird eating. Hummingbirds lap the nectar, like a dog does. They do not sip through a straw.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I've watched hummers feed in a way consistent with Bush's description many times. The tongue is extruded into the sugar water for an inch or so, held there for a short time, & then withdrawn back into the bill. I've never actually seen the "straw", of course, which would be much too small to identify with the naked eye, especially through the glass wall of a feeder.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I've watched hummers feed in a way consistent with Bush's description many times. The tongue is extruded into the sugar water for an inch or so, held there for a short time, & then withdrawn back into the bill. I've never actually seen the "straw", of course, which would be much too small to identify with the naked eye, especially through the glass wall of a feeder.

I watch them feed through a clear feeder many times and have never seen the tongue still in the water - it is moving in and out of the bill repeatedly. The concensus among researchers is that hummingbirds do not sip through a straw.

I watch them feed through a clear feeder many times and have never seen the tongue still in the water - it is moving in and out of the bill repeatedly. The concensus among researchers is that hummingbirds do not sip through a straw.

I think you're dismissing the Bush's research much too hastily. The wording of the NYT article strongly implies that he & his associates actually observed the "straw" (via photography, I would imagine).

“The hummingbird’s tongue looks like a straw with a slot cut in it,”
Dr. Bush said."

The article then goes on to say that the nectar is pulled up through the straw by surface tension not by "sipping".

. . .(B)ecause of the surface tension, the slot in the cylindrical tongue
zips closed, beginning from the tip. The nectar is drawn upward, and the
cylinder fills. The hummingbird then scrapes its tongue clean and swallows.
Amazingly, it repeats this process 20 times a second as it feeds."

So, the upshot seems to be that hummingbird tongues form straws alright, but ones working on very different principles from soda fountain straws in soft drinks.

The article then goes on to say that the nectar is pulled up through the straw by surface tension not by "sipping".

. . .(B)ecause of the surface tension, the slot in the cylindrical tongue
zips closed, beginning from the tip. The nectar is drawn upward, and the
cylinder fills. The hummingbird then scrapes its tongue clean and swallows.
Amazingly, it repeats this process 20 times a second as it feeds."
This is a pretty accurate description (I would have hedged more on the lick rate, which in one study ranged from 10/sec. to 25/sec.), but the article's title and illustration definitely leave an inaccurate and contradictory impression in readers' minds. :C

Ornithologists have also known for a long time that the semi-tubular structure of hummingbirds' tongues acts like a capillary tube (employing surface tension) and not like a drinking straw (employing suction). I suppose it's "new" to these physicists and mathematicians, though, and I don't remember seeing a prior description of the "zipping" closure of the tongue cavity as the fluid fills it.

Thanks Sheri and fugl for pointing out that the title of the article leaves a lot to be desired. I did read the article in a little more detail later, and I guess the research is "new" to physicists, though like Sheri says, long known.

I also watch them thru clear plastic bottom feeders (the bowl type) and while feeding the nectar is alive with wavelets, so there must be some movement of parts while feeding, I think

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back