• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus Magellan 8x25 WPI - Any good? (1 Viewer)

Giorgio

Porro bins are a bit like war, they are made by yo
I have a deal with them brand new at 61 euros.
I'm curious about compacts as it has been discussed over here.
I could barely find infos about them, i just know they have a narrov fov for an 8x compact, about 95 meters.
There is an in stock 10x25 Magellan, but this one is at 115 euros.

Anybody ever tried them?

Thanks

Edit: I bought a 8x25 reverse porro tracker, as i saw it was very well regarded on some threads. The 8x25 magellan is already sold.

Ciao

Last edited:
I just received the olympus tracker ipc 8x25 10 mins ago at work.
For the few i tried in the office, they are pretty impressive for their size, and simply, they are very good. My first 8x25 reverse porro. It seems not very robust, though. But their resolution is very good, FOV is correct for a pocket sized (no tunnel effect). Focuser a bit stiff. Contrast and colours are well represented.
I recommend them highly if you look for a cheap/great pair of compacts.

Last edited:
Giorgio,

I think the Tracker's seriously good value for money. The feel may not be the most substantial, but to significantly better it in view and build quality you would need to get to something like the Bushnell Elite 7x26, and that's still not waterproof, probably wouldn't bounce too well and costs ~250 Euro.

David

David,

I red very good reviews regarding the little bushnell. I like it's spaceship aspect aswel, but the good stuff about the Tracker is that it was only 50 euros.
I wanted to get a compact as it was discussed here, to see how it performs and how it feels.
The Olympus feels plasticky, like a kid toy, but when you look through, it's surprising. I'll use them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back