• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge Camera for around £200 (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a bridge or superzoom camera for casual bird and wildlife photography for around the £200. I used to have an Olympus SP550, which I was very pleased with. My dad bought a Fujifilm (can't remember model) for himself but that is awful. What recommendations do people have?

Thanks in advance,

Oli

Hi Oli. If you can stretch your budget a little a Canon SX40 could work. £240 at Amazon and £200 on the Bay. Check out the SX40 thread. Some great results there.

Rich

If you're happy going used Oli occasionally there's some good deals on here. I've had a quick look at other popular models on BF and they are all over the £200 mark. Like I mentioned earlier, you can get a new SX40 on E Bay for £200 but you'd need to checkout their feedback to see if you trust them.

Good luck with your choice.

Rich

Try Argos :eek!:. If you look at the special deals / 'last in store' section, using the monitors, it's surprising what savings you can make on branded items. :t:

Chris

Thanks Rich though outside my price range, unfortunately. £200 is the absolute top end.

Also consider a used Panasonic superzoom---FZ-18 or any higher model numbers through the current FZ-200. Very good cameras that you may be able to get cheap.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Here's something new from Panasonic that looks like it would meet all your requirements: a budget superzoom with a max zoom of 875mm (35mm equivalent). I can't tell if it's available yet though:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/07/Panasonic-lumix-dmc-lz30

I took a quick look at this camera. It has a nice zoom range, but no viewfinder. There are other bridge cameras w/o viewfinders at attractive prices, but I find I need a viewfinder when out shooting birds and other wildlife.

Just bought a second hand Nikon Coolpix P510 for £99.00 from Amazon. Absolute bargain - not sure why it was so cheap. But they do sell for £200.00 on ebay.

Early days but am really pleased with it at the moment. Took some pics today if you want to have a look

www.photobucket.com/wookeyhole then click Somerset Wildlife.

The first 3 pics were all taken at near maximum zoom and they turned out quite well. Have bought this in addition to my Sony SLR (as long lenses are just so expensive).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back