• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-winged Gulls (1 Viewer)

kas

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but why is it nearly always 1st winter and 2nd white winged gulls that turn up in Britian.

Living in the North of Scotland has allowed me to see many, including 8 1st winter Icelands today. Yet I have never clapped eyes on an adult and have rarely seen reports of adults.

Do they come too far south in their younger years and then realise their mistake.

Again I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am curious.

kas said:
Do they come too far south in their younger years and then realise their mistake.

Never a stupid question! I would wager that the gull's inexperience may come into it. Having said that, I see a few adults now and then, particularly Glaucous Gulls. I can't tell the difference in the younger ones though lol!

kas said:
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but why is it nearly always 1st winter and 2nd white winged gulls that turn up in Britian.

Living in the North of Scotland has allowed me to see many, including 8 1st winter Icelands today. Yet I have never clapped eyes on an adult and have rarely seen reports of adults.

Hi Kas

They do show up in the far north of Scotland quite regularly although not as often as 1st and 2nd Winter birds. here's a few photo's taken at Scrabster (adult Iceland), Helmsdale (3rd Winter Iceland) and Thurso Harbour (adult Winter Glaucous).

nirofo.

Attachments

• Iceland Gull Ad Winter.jpg
    Iceland Gull Ad Winter.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Iceland Gull 3rd Winter 2.jpg
    Iceland Gull 3rd Winter 2.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Glaucous Gull Ad Winter.jpg
    Glaucous Gull Ad Winter.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back