• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (6 Viewers)

Kitchy - Hi, these birds "by the dozens", do you mean the Bushtit? (i.e. the bird in the photo). They do tend to flock like that - kinglets move in flocks too, but not usually that many...

Cheers,

Thank you. I just made a post about this. I just assumed the kinglet because there were so many golden crowned that were with it. Had I looked at the picture in my field guide......
Thanks!
Also, is there a way we get notifications on this board when someone quotes us? I'm sure a ton of you told me yesterday about this and then I made a post like an idiot.

You can go to the "user control panel" in the upper right hand corner of every page. It's in the dark greenish/black banner going across the page top.

Then you will click on "edit options" on the left hand side of the new page. There you can scroll down and find where you want to subscribe (email notifications) and set it up there.

As for UK Species, Common Redstart would you believe, having failed for the last 15-odd years.

As for non-UK species, Bee-eater in Hungary in August.

After two months without seeing a new life bird, this morning I picked up my lifer Thick-billed Kingbird, an overwintering bird discovered a few weeks ago at Horsethief Canyon Park in San Dimas.

Diego, what a neat story leading you on your way to a great bird! I imagine you were thrilled to be able to get this life bird!

Fellow bird enthusiasts are generally a good lot! They usually even have a sense of humor!

jaja, Larry..! indeed, sense of humor and some sarcasm is just what the world need to be a happier place!!!
great bird and quite an experience!

Glossy Ibis, quite impressed as I was on the way back from a morning of shopping/visiting and picking Ian up from his mornings birding. It was very obliging sat about 30 feet away in a field.

Woopdedoop!

Finally, perhaps the most "common" bird missing from my UK list: my first ever Eurasian Woodcock, flushed from dunes at Blyth in Northumberland yesterday when out exploring with my kids!

Double woopdedoop!

Another "common" bird finally ticked off my list! Seen on a recent trip to Switzerland with work (so, OK, it's not on my UK list yet) - my first Eurasian Bittern

:)

Even if you don't like gulls, yesterday's Red-legged Kittiwakes ( at least 7 of them ) in Nemuro Strait, Japan would have cheered you up. Beautiful elegant little birds. :t:

Managed to get one lifer in my weeks vacation in Cyprus. Cyprus Warbler seen at bot Mavrokolympus Dam and also near to Latchi.

John

I had hoped to get one lifer today. Instead, I ended up with two.

First, in the morning, after seeing the Inca Doves reported at Washington Park in the Florence area of L.A., our group saw one Spotted Dove, and heard several others. Yes, it's an exotic, but it still counts. (Note that I only add exotics that are ABA-countable, or that I think should be ABA-countable but aren't, as in Yellow-chevroned Parakeet.) This was the unexpected lifer.

Then, in the afternoon, after our whalewatching excursion out of Redondo Beach, we headed to Gonzales Park in Compton, where I was finally able to see the overwintering female Hepatic Tanager.

The newly described Omani Owl. 3 seen including a pair at a new locality. One bird hung around for 20 minutes after dawn (albeit at a great distance) so we were the first birders to see it in daylight.

Ian

Great Reed-Warbler yesterday
Lesser Swamp Warbler today
during an inland wetland bird count at Monte Christo (yesterday) and Daan Viljoen(today).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back