• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify this bird in NE Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

tpetchy

I was mowing the grass last week when I noticed this bird which I never seen in the area before. It stayed in the same place, for about half an hour, even while I mowed underneath it. Can anyone identify it?

Attachments

• UnknownBird.png
    UnknownBird.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 72
At first I also thought it was a Cooper's Hawk but the bird I saw has no brown on its breast. I thought it might be a Goshawk because of its light blue-gray and almost black color. However, NE PA is very near the bottom of its range.

At first I also thought it was a Cooper's Hawk but the bird I saw has no brown on its breast. I thought it might be a Goshawk because of its light blue-gray and almost black color. However, NE PA is very near the bottom of its range.
Also, a Goshawk would fly away if you moved that close. They are very shy (at least over here), despite (or because of?) being used to human presence.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back