• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Enemies (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
If you were a hummingbird, what enemies would you need to watch out for that might eat you? Do Falcons bother with hummingbirds? Perhaps they are too difficult to catch and not much of a meal. I have heard of some cases of spiders catching Hummingbirds. Not sure if that is true.

If you were a hummingbird, what enemies would you need to watch out for that might eat you? Do Falcons bother with hummingbirds? Perhaps they are too difficult to catch and not much of a meal. I have heard of some cases of spiders catching Hummingbirds. Not sure if that is true.

Some spiders definitely take birds including Hummers which end up in their web. I'd say any small Falcon would be able to ambush a Hummer with a bit of patience?

Roosting at night, I'd imagine there are any number of mammals, including monkeys, that would grab the chance and take a sleeping bird.

Snakes, mammals, other birds. I have seen hummers get eaten by toucanets. Hummers are fast but nonetheless they face the same dangers as most birds when they perch or roost.
I don’t think any other predator can catch them mid-air or it should be a lucky catch.

Someone mentioned Roadrunner catching them on here a few days ago. In flight at low down flowers.

Related, I've watched frogs regularly catching Hummingbird Hawkmoths in France. They are fast and maneouverable too. Essentially the leap is quick enough to do it as an ambush when hovering at nearby flowers.

Last edited:
Some spiders definitely take birds including Hummers which end up in their web. I'd say any small Falcon would be able to ambush a Hummer with a bit of patience?

Roosting at night, I'd imagine there are any number of mammals, including monkeys, that would grab the chance and take a sleeping bird.

I freed one from a Nephila web in Bolivia once. The silk felt as tough as nylon thread.

I watched a Merlin being mobbed by three migrant hummers this morning (before the Merlin caught a different passerine). I'd imagine some Merlin has at some point caught a hummingbird, especially in migration when a quick burst of flight may overtake a hummer in straight flight.

I watched a Merlin being mobbed by three migrant hummers this morning (before the Merlin caught a different passerine). I'd imagine some Merlin has at some point caught a hummingbird, especially in migration when a quick burst of flight may overtake a hummer in straight flight.

Merlin are a chase predator, I've seen them in some remarkable pursuits here in the UK, twisting, turning and diving.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back