• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Peru, July-August 2006 (1 Viewer)

Here is the 1st part of our trip to Peru (Cusco, Manu, Colca Canyon and the Islas Ballestas). It was a bit good, to say the least.

Many thanks to all those who offered advice, especially Rasmus Boegh and Tim Allwood.

We racked up a nice big list, the total of which I'm still not certain about (those Tyrant flycatchers are a God damn nightmare!) as I still haven't had a chance to consult Ridgley+Tudor and I have a few sound recordings that don't quite match up with anything!

Travel logistics are included in the report. Only the most attractive/rare things are listed with specific sites, and there's nothing in it that you can't find elsewhere, especially in Thomas Valqui's fantastic site guide.

We took the Clements & Shany field guide, which is of a vastly mixed quality. The illustrations range from superb life-like representations to childish scribbles. The text is limited, to put it politely! However, you can't go without it. We backed this up with the brilliant Ridgely & Greenfield Ecuador field guide. Along with commercial recordings from Bolivia and Ecuador, we also downloaded loads of songs and calls off the fantastic http://www.xeno-canto.org website, which is perhaps the greatest thing ever. This was all packed onto an mp3 player which we used with a small Sony speaker for some sensible and moderate use of playback.

And finally, Peru is economically on the up. It appeared to us that things are improving for the people at a strikingly fast rate. With this you can expect things to change, and unfortunately for the birding it may be changing for the worse. Already unprotected sites that were good for birding just two years ago have been ruined by logging. Manu is currently totally protected, but for how long?

So trust me on this: go there now!

Cusco

It’s quite a long way to Peru. Especially when you start off by going in the wrong direction. However, Gina the travel agent assured me that going to Lima via Paris was the cheapest way to do it. “Just keep your fingers crossed and hope that you don’t get kidnapped in Bogota,” she jokingly said. Sorry, where? Bogota? Isn’t that where all those people keep getting killed and kidnapped, Gina? Again she assured me that going to Lima via Paris and Bogota was the cheapest way to do it.

Next was how to get to Cusco. I wasn’t particularly taken by the idea of going into Lima, afterall I live in a big crap city as it is, so why would I want to spend vast amounts of money going to another? So I booked an internal flight with LAN airlines from Lima to Cusco in advance through the wonderful internet. This would mean a 5 hour wait at Lima airport to catch our connecting flight to Cusco. The flight was cancelled. We were put onto another flight later in the morning. Our 5 hour wait was stretched to 9 hours. At least there was a McDonald’s.

Altogether it took 38.5 hours from closing our front door in Blighty to touching down in Cusco. Of this, only 16.5 hours was actually spent in the air. The rest was spent working out how to flush toilets (go to the toilets in Bogota airport and you’ll see what I mean).

At Cusco airport we were met by a group of “authentic indigenous musicians” in the baggage reclaim playing pan pipes, guitars and drums. I sincerely hoped that this would be the only time I had to cope with this crap. Over the next month my hopes were to be dashed on a number of occasions.

Our first few nights were spent in comfort at the Amaru II Hostal. This was basic but quite beautiful, with neat little rooms built around a flower-filled open courtyard and fantastic views over the whole of Cusco. In the tiny garden my first Peruvian bird was Rufous-collared Sparrow. Nice. Well they were nice at first , then by the time of the 272nd they became a bit annoying. By the 5,126th it was time to scream and rip your eyeballs out. Second bird was a Chiguanco Thrush. The same process as above was repeated. Third bird was a female Greenish Yellow-Finch, which unfortunately I found difficult to appreciate even the first.

After an hour or so of fun and frolicks I started to feel odd. Someone had decided to attach a G-clamp to the middle of my head and violently tighten it. I also felt sick. I was suffering from altitude sickness. I’ve always thought of wussy things like altitude sickness to be lame excuses for illnesses, kind of like flu and herpes, but I guess it’s acceptable when you’ve just travelled from 13m to 3,300m in just over an hour. I tried to climb some stairs, turned green and almost passed out. So I slept for an hour or two, or possibly four, then woke up feeling ill. Great start. Still feeling ill, we battled through the tiny cobbled streets - dodging maniac taxi drivers and crippled, rabid dogs (much more to come about them!) - and eventually wound our way down to the Plaza de Armas. What a place! Cusco is probably the most visited tourist destination in Peru, and you don’t need a PhD in brain science to work out why. It is stunning. I don’t really do buildings and history and stuff, but you’d have to be one seriously uncultured, heathen brute not to be won over by this place.

After sitting in the square in the hot sun for over an hour just watching stuff happening, we set off to finalise our travel arrangements for Manu and then sampled our first Cusquena lager in the legendary Cross Keys pub, where I was amazed to see a Stoke City football shirt hung up on the wall. Up the Potters! (which means “come on Stoke, win something for the first time ever!”) And then it was time to try Mate de Coca, a tea made out of coca leaves. Basically it’s a mug of boiling water with a handful of green coca leaves stuffed in it. It looks far worse than it tastes, and it sorts out your altitude sickness quite nicely as well.

Huacarpay Lake
Pronounced Wacar-pie, Huacarpay is easily reached from Cusco by taxi or bus. Puna Ibis and American Kestrels are common along the way. We took a taxi from Cusco straight to the Urpicancha restaurant and then walked clockwise around the lake through the village of Lucre and then around to Huacarpay town where we drank Inca Kola in a filthy shack and then caught one of the combi buses back for a ludicrously cheap fare. In Cusco the buses go from Avenida de la Cultura. If you can’t find it then just ask for the buses to Urcos. We spent about 4 hours walking all the way around the lake in the strong sun and stupidly didn’t take water or sun cream, so deservedly suffered accordingly.

The birding was easy and a great taste of what was to come. Unfortunately, and I’m not quite sure how this happened, we totally missed Bearded Mountaineer (a rather pretty hummingbird, not Brian Blessed). I blame the altitude. However, we had excellent views of the endemic Rusty-fronted Canastero by the ruins, a stupendously stupendous Giant Hummingbird (my first ever hummer and the World’s largest to boot), quite a few Plumbeous Rails, Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle, Cinereous Harrier, 3 species of Ground-Tyrant (Rufous-naped, Spot-billed and good scope views of what had to be a Taczanowski’s - which I think is a pretty good record for Huacarpay?), 3 Andean Negritos, Bar-winged Cinclodes, 2 Andean Swifts, plus all of the common passerine stuff and also all of the expected high-Andean water birds. Oh yeah, and loads of Moorhens. Also lots of rabid dogs.

Next day was a walk up to the ruins of Sacsayhuaman, nestled precariously high over the city and once a magnificent Inca fortress, but now just a load of big bricks after the Spanish invaders knocked it down. It’s a shortish walk from Cusco centre that climbs up through a gorge where we had a male Green-tailed Trainbearer, Black-throated Flowerpiercer, White-browed Chat-Tyrant, quite a few Bare-faced Ground-Doves, sack fulls of Cinereous Conebills and, best of all, sensational views of a pair of Aplomado Falcons soaring above the gorge. At the ruins themselves we found hundreds of European tourists alongside very tame Andean Lapwings, Band-tailed Seedeaters, American Ketrels and Ash-breasted Sierra-Finches (of which the females took us about 8 years to work out, thanks to the field guide!).

That afternoon we waited for 4 hours to buy our train tickets to Machu Picchu at the Huanchac train station (this place is Hell, absolute Hell I tell you), and then Miss Cole became violently ill with food poisoning throughout the night: I know exactly what the food was and exactly why it made her ill! The next day we were supposed to catch a bus to Ollantaytambo, but Miss Cole was still feeling so ill that she couldn’t even stand up, let alone haul a 5 ton pack through crowded streets, so we totally copped out and hailed a cab from outside the hostal to take us on the three hour journey. I managed to hail the worst cab in Cusco - and that really is saying something - a tiny Daewoo Tico with a totally shattered windscreen and a dodgy passenger door that would swing open as we took corners. On the way I discussed the woes of Brazilian World Cup footballing disappointment and Wayne Rooney’s red card in pidgin Spanish with our taxi driver, who, for some reason, kept giving signs of the cross on his chest. I later discovered it was because his brakes weren’t working properly.

The next part will have more birds in!

Last edited:
Aye,
sounds like you had a bit of a larf.

shame i don't know what any of these birds actually look like though....
(reckon i can guess with giant hummingbird however).

Hey Tommo

knew you'd like it!

looking forward to reading all the coming fun and games... especially the bus on the Manu road

Giant Hummers.... like Swifts... amazing eh?

btw, you missed bugger all here
Tim

Part 2

Machu Picchu
“You can’t go to Cusco and not see Machu Picchu,” everyone told us. That’s the reason why we went. For everyone else’s benefit, not ours. I’ve seen enough smashed up brick huts in my time, so travelling all that way and paying all that money to see some smashed up brick huts on the top of a mountain was hardly at the top of my list of must-do-things in life. However, the birding was said to be good, so that was at least an incentive.

We did it the cheap way (note that this is relative; there is no such thing as a cheap way to Machu Picchu!) which involved two nights in Ollantaytambo. We stayed in a tiny guesthouse in the centre and caught the 6.30am train, arriving in Aguas Calientes just after 9am and before the packed day-tripper trains from Cusco arrived. From the train we had loads of Torrent Ducks (the train goes slow enough to get good views), White-capped Dipper and Torrent Tyrannulets.

The plan was to walk up to Machu Picchu; the reality somewhat different. Miss Cole was still too ill to walk, so after paying vast sums of money to go and see the smashed up brick huts on a mountain top, we caught the absurdly expensive bus up to the ruins as I cursed the whole place for wasting my time. Time we could have used to go back and have a second try for Bearded Mountaineer at Huacarpay.

Walking from the ticket kiosk to the Watchman’s Hut we scored a White-banded Tyrannulet, and then something strange happened: there, right in front of us, was Machu Picchu. That exact picture postcard view that everyone knows so well was actually there in reality. It was so strange. And yes, it’s true, you really cannot go to Cusco and not visit Machu Picchu, because despite the physical assault on your wallet, it has to be seen to be believed. Like I said, it’s just… err… so strange!

Even though the place was not yet busy, the heat was horrendous and the birds conspicuous by their absence! Not a sniff of an Inca Wren all day. I think you really do have to visit very early to get them, when they are allegedly very common. To be honest we were both so screwed that we could barely lift our bins in the late morning heat! Still, we were not be totally defeated, and managed to pull the endemic and range restricted Green-and-white Hummingbird out of the bag (they were pretty common around the ruins), Green Violetear, White-crested Elaenia (ID by call as by sight anything with the word Elaenia is utterly impossible!) and some attractive Golden-billed Saltators. After being “entertained” by a blind harpist, we went back down to Aguas Calientes and headed downstream along the railway tracks.

Before we left for Peru we decided that because there were potentially so many birds to see (Peru’s list is somewhere over 1,800) we opted to not have any target birds and therefore not be disappointed by missing anything. However, there was just one bird we had to see: Andean Cock-of-the-Rock. Aguas Calientes was supposedly good for them. As we approached the first tunnel, not even 300metres out of the town, something big flew across the train tracks and landed by the side of the tunnel. Gobsmacked at the ease of the whole thing, we both watched a female Andean Cock-of-the-Rock sat motionless for about 5 minutes. Although not a bright male, still a great bird. And besides, later in the trip we would be visiting the World’s biggest lekking site for them.

Between the two tunnels the trip list began to grow fast: a big flock of Mitred Parrakeets feeding in the tree tops held two Speckle-faced Parrots, a Grey-breasted Wood-Wren was pished out into the open and gave brief but close views, colourful Tanagers appeared including Rust-and-yellow, and many of the expected jungle ‘fodder’ was first ticked off here in about an hour. As it began to go dark we walked back into Aguas Calientes and were bowled over by the sights and incredible sounds of Dusky-green Oropendolas. Try this link to hear them, as it’s impossible to describe:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=dusky-green+oropendola

Flagging rapidly, Miss Cole struggled up the hill to the Aguas Calientes hot springs. As dozens of exhausted trekkers, fresh off the Inca Trail, staggered up to bathe in the 40 degree volcanic springs, we stood by the river and waited for dark. Just after the sun vanished we heard exactly what wanted to hear: Lyre-tailed Nightjar. A male soon made a brief flight over the valley, its ridiculously long tail streamers posing questions of how can it actually fly with that tail?

After that we wasted a few hours after dark in Aguas Calientes then caught the late train back to Ollantaytambo. Feeling sorry for Miss Cole I bought her an “Inca scarf” which almost managed to make her smile. Almost. The next morning we both felt a lot better and set off to find a taxi to take us along the road towards Quillabamba, where Valqui’s book indicated that there was good birding from the roadside. I found a driver and tried to say the following:

“Good morning, sir. I am interested in birds. I would like to travel along the road toward Quillabamba and to the place where ‘100km’ is written on a sign.”

His facial expression indicated that he clearly thought I was insane, and he mentioned something about not being able to help me and wished me good luck. As I went off to find another cab driver I realised that what I’d actually said was:

“Good morning, sir. I am interested in birds. I am going to travel 100km along the road to Quillabamba and I shall write to you when I get there.”

We were unable to find any other cab drivers, so instead we decided to walk out of the village heading left beneath the ominous Inca fortress looming over the hillside and towards the village of Rumira. This turned out to be just fine and new birds came our way in coach loads. Just before the village of Rumira there is a plantation around quite a big farmhouse. Here we immediately had great views of another amazing Giant Hummingbird, also White-bellied Hummingbird and good, close-up views of a female Trainbearer allowing us to add Black-tailed Trainbearer to the list, although we unfortunately never did see a male. Tit-Tyrants gave us the run-around as we chased them around backs of bushes, eventually managing to see enough to have them as both Yellow-billed and Tufted Tit-Tyrants; a large flock of Brown-bellied Swallows were eventually identified after setting fire to the field guide (the 2nd Swallows/Martins plate is one of the worst), but bird of the morning went to a huge Black-backed Grosbeak. However, in Rumira there was an absolute sh1t of a dog. It’s a white thing with a big black spot on its left side and needs to be shot. It’s a nasty, growling, biting thing, and had to have two bricks thrown at it before it would retreat. The first brick was a warning throw and just made it more angry, the second hit the little tw*t on its neck and that did the trick. From then on we always picked up a hand full of stones before entering any villages!

After a quick breakfast listening to a terrible Spanish cover of House of the Rising Sun, we said goodbye to fantastic Ollantaytambo and hopped on a small combi bus (about the size of a VW camper van), which had seats for 12 people yet at one stage we managed to get 21 adults plus one infant crammed inside. It was an omen of things to come. We changed bus at Urubamba then weaved through an assault course of dead dogs back to Cuzco, where we spent the night in a small hostal run by a lunatic woman called Maria.

Tomorrow was start of the reason we had come to Peru: Manu!

Last edited:
Part 3
Lower Manu Road

Few people do Manu independently, and after I went to buy a ticket for the Gallito de las Rocas public bus I realised why. (The office is located on Avenida Diagonal Angamos, some distance from the centre of Cusco, and your taxi driver may not know where to go, so tell him it’s near to the Coliseo Cerrado.) In the ticket office I was gagging and retching at the smell of onions, which I at first assumed were being cooked somewhere but soon deduced that the dirty sack on a shelf at the back of the office was the culprit. Closer inspection revealed a syrupy liquid dripping from the moist sack - it was full of decomposing onions. Nice. A further worry about the bus was that for a 10 hour journey it only cost £2.75 each!

On Monday morning we arrived at the office and the chaos began. People were literally moving home using this bus. Someone’s bed was loaded onto the roof in parts, 5 large gas cylinders, a giant TV/DVD/CD/Radio home entertainment system was somehow thrown up there and then finally I said a fond farewell to both our packs as they were hauled up and then crushed under the filthy, rusting spare wheel. As we climbed on we noticed symbols indicating that the bus was equipped with TV+Video and served hot drinks: luxury travel for just £2.75! Inside the bus I found the TV+Video - an empty box with someone’s coat stuffed inside what used to be the screen and, needless to say, we were never served a hot drink.

There was seating for about 40 people, so when the 60th person scrambled inside, and jammed themselves and whatever possessions they could squeeze in with them into the aisle, my concern was not comfort but how we were actually going to move. Amazingly we managed to pull off, and rocking dangerously from side to side each time we hit a pot hole, or a dog, we rolled out through the slum districts of Cusco passing a recommended Guinea Pig (Cuy) restaurant who’s advertising promised “The best Cuy in Peru!”

Despite the cramped conditions I was utterly bemused when the driver kept stopping to pick up more people along the roadside - but now the roof was packed and covered with a plastic sheet, so whatever they had with them had to be brought inside the bus. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry when a woman sat on my arm rest holding a cardboard box of clucking chickens. As if things couldn’t get any worse the bus driver then stopped in the village of San Jeronimo to pick up a young bloke with ten or eleven huge yellow plastic bags screaming “Pan!” (bread). The bags were filled with freshly baked bread and there was a small riot to get at them. Amazingly, instead of passing the bags along the aisle to the passengers at the back, he decided to climb over the head and arm rests to get there instead. Kicking me in the head as he climbed over me, I thought at least things can’t get any worse, at which point the driver stopped and picked up three women selling an assortment of drinks, snacks and “gelatinos” which I never did actually try. Thankfully.

After business was concluded the driver stopped to let them off and a degree of calmness and serenity filled the bus as we began to wind our way up the steep mountain side heading for the towm of Paucartambo. The calmness and serenity was abruptly ended when Andino-Tropicale music began blasting out, each line of the lyrics seemingly ending with the words “Mi corazon” (My heart). Mi corazon skipped a few beats as I gazed down out of the side of the window and noticed how terrifyingly close to edge of the road we were! Mr Allwood’s advice was to not look down or take a good book. I forgot mine.

After a few hours we reached Paucartambo, perhaps the dirtiest, filthiest, stinking town ever allowed to rot anywhere on the planet. The dogs were the worst here of all - rancid, maltreated cripples with their heads stuffed in split bin bags, rummaging around for week old chicken carcasses. Surreal moment of the day (and it was up against some seriously strong competition!) went to an old Andean woman carrying a tied up white sack. She stopped to sort out her thousands of petticoats, put the sack on the floor and then amazingly the sack began to walk off! Miss Cole had to use the public toilet - an experience she has still not recovered from. I used the side of someone’s house.

After Paucartambo we climbed fast, the mountains brown and scorched from the intense sun. The rocking of the bus and the heat sent me into a deep sleep, and then Miss Cole was prodding me and telling me to look out of the window. I must have slept for hours because now we were in a totally different world. Outside the window was the elfin forest of the upper Manu road. Everything was green with isolated patches of cloud hanging over the trees, the trees covered in a thick moss dripping with water. It was totally amazing.

Over the next 4 hours we wound our way down from 3,600m at the Acjanaco pass to just 800m into the Amazon basin and the rio Madre de Dios, surrounded by rainforest clad slopes as far as the eye could see. Passing the legendary Red-and-white Antpitta site of Pillahuata and then seeing a small group of birders going into the Cock-of-the-Rock lekking hides at San Pedro was almost too much to handle, but we had this to look forward to on our way back up the road. But for now our destination was the village of Pilcopata and the end of Gallito de las Rocas bus route.

Expertly driven by our two drivers David and Romilio, they negotiated the tight bends and rain soaked track with confidence, occasionally havng to stop the bus to get out and check if the unpaved road was actually passable. Half an hour earlier than planned we reached the tiny jungle town of Pilcopata; the humidity almost unbearable, the dogs slightly better than Paucartambo. Clearly the arrival of the bus was a major event and it was party time. Music was blasting out from every shack. We found a tiny hostal in the centre offering clean beds for next to nothing, retrieved our now filthy packs, took a cold shower and then wandered through the village toward a suspension bridge crossing the Madre de Dios. Stood on the bridge as the sun slowly set we could just make out a Fasciated Tiger-Heron feeding on the water’s edge, as Red-and-green Macaws glided by overhead and Russet-backed Oropendolas and Yellow-rumped Caciques battled for nesting space in the overcrowded trees.

After a fantastic night’s sleep in the oxygen rich air, we got up just before dawn and made our way through the village to the bridge where we had excellent views of the Tiger-Heron and then excitedly crossed to tackle the lower Manu road. The birding was fast and furious. And not always easy! As soon as we crossed the bridge a large Phaethornis hummingbird came into view, giving away just enough to duduce it was a Hermit but not enough to say which one - this was a process which was to be repeated on far too many occasions! Infact Many-spotted Hummingbird was the only hummer we managed to nail all day! Something singing in the undergrowth was clearly worth persisting with to get views of, and eventually our first pair of Antbirds came into view: Black-throated. After committing the song to memory we discovered that these were the commonest Antbirds in the area. What sounded like a monkey chuckling in a tree turned out to be a fantastic pair of Squirrel Cuckoos, who’s eventual ubiquitouousoussnessness never diminished their appeal. An Elaenia with three wing bars never turned around and never called, thus it was the first of many Elaenia sp. scrawled into my notebook. Groups of Tanagers would occasionally pass through, the most common being Blue-gray and Silver-beaked, but always containing others such as Swallow, Magpie, Palm and Blue-necked, as well as Orange and Rufous-bellied Euphonias. The appeal of anything with the word Ant in its name became instantly apparent: Great Antshrike, Chestnut-backed Antshrike and White-lined Antbird. All amazing birds. The appeal of playback also became instantly apparent, as we probably wouldn’t have seen any of them without using it!

As the air began to get hot the raptors began to soar. Black and Turkey Vultures were over every hill top, but these were eclipsed by 2 spectacular King Vultures. Jostling for space alongside them were beautiful Swallow-tailed and Plumbeous Kites, whilst Roadside Hawks were commonly found sat in trees on the … roadside. Five stunning White-banded Swallows and a few elegant Fork-tailed Palm-Swifts were revelling in the huge number of insects. All this to the aural backdrop of Cinereous, Undulated and Black-capped Tinamous.

It was impossible to stop, but dehydration and sunburn (again we forgot water and suncream!) forced us back to Pilcopata at 3pm, where we had a quick Inca Kola and gasped at our pink scorched faces and arms, before heading back out of the village in the other direction, immediately noticing good numbers of Chestnut-fronted Macaws and Blue-headed Parrots sat in the trees. Vermilion Flycatchers made short sorties from their perches, often joined by Long-tailed Tyrants and Tropical Kingbirds, whilst giant White-collared Swifts streamed over in their hundreds at dusk. Thick-billed Euphonia was the last new bird of what was altogether not a bad day!

At dawn the next morning we tried the same place we finished at the night before, adding Black Caracara, 2 Masked Tityras, Blue-black Grassquit, Crested Oropendola and eventually working out what the Hell all the God damn little brown things with yellow faces were: female Black-and-white Seedeaters (yet another brillant omission from the field guide!), a male amongst them finally giving it away.

At 10 we grabbed our packs and said goodbye to Pilcopata, catching a combi bus to the port village of Atalaya and a boat to our next destination: the legendary Amazonia Lodge.

Last edited:
Part 4
Amazonia Lodge

It was just a 15 minute ride in a motorised canoe from Atalaya to Amazonia Lodge. [If you book accomodation through the website (http://www.amazonialodge.com) they will sort out the very cheap boat for you.] This place was a bit different to Pilcopata! After a short walk from the river along a trail through dense forest, we arrived at a clearing with a well tended garden, a friendly handshake from the owners and the promise of a Pisco Sour cocktail at 6.30pm. Rock on!

Before we had chance to get to our room a Belgian birder stopped us to tell us about an Amethyst Woodstar he had seen just 2 minutes ago. After a wee scan in the area he mentioned we soon picked up the tiny hummer, tail cocked and darting from flower to flower. Then after fainting with joy when we found out this place had hot showers, we set about tackling some hardcore rainforest birding and sat on our arses on the veranda for a couple of hours, marvelling at the close views of the hummers. Golden-tailed Sapphire was the commonest, but there were always Fork-tailed Woodnymphs, Grey-breasted Sabrewings, White-necked Jacobin, Violet-headed Hummingbird, Gould’s Jewelfront and occasionally Amethyst Woodstar and Sapphire-spangled Emerald. But the target at Amazonia (not that we had any targets, remember…) is Rufous-crested Coquette, which eluded us during our first two hours sat eating Choco Soda bars on the veranda… err… I mean obsessively birding.

Sexy, red Masked Crimson Tanagers and Red-capped Cardinals fed from fruit off a well placed bird table (well placed = right outside our room), but it was unfortunately soon time to check out the trail map and have to use our legs to walk along the trails. We started at the small lake and were immediately disturbed by what sounded like a pervert breathing heavily down the phone. But no! It wasn’t Uncle Knobby totally naked beneath his raincoat, it was loads and loads and loads of Hoatzins. An Amazon Kingfisher showed briefly before vanishing forever and a Striated Heron proved to be the final nail in the field guide’s coffin: I’ve no idea what intoxicants the artist was on when they drew that.

A silent Mottle-backed Elaenia was thankfully distinctive enough to add to the list (damn effing Elaenias!), a very vocal Lineated Woodcreeper was only distinctive enough to add by voice, and now we were surrounded by calling Black-faced Antthrushes, all choosing to remain well hidden. At dusk I took a walk just behind the lodge to check out the start of a trail for the next day and flushed a Grey-necked Wood-Rail off the track, then drank the Pisco Sour, ate a mound of food and finally crashed and burned, which I think means that I went to bed. But when I woke up to rid myself of the 3 gallons of home made lemonade I drank at dinner, I could hear something calling outside the room. I went through all the possible night birds on my mp3 player and soon found it: Tawny-bellied Screech-Owl. So the plan for tomorrow night was now sorted!

Up just before dawn, we started again at the small lake and walked back along the Jeep Trail. Grey, Cinereous, Little, Undulated and Black-capped Tinamous were heard continuously for the first few hours or so, invisible Black-faced Antthrush never stopped all day. Other niceties included Gray-fronted Dove, Little Cuckoo, Blue-crowned Trogon, 3 Chestnut-eared Aracari (posh Toucans!), a giant Crimson-crested Woodpecker destroying a tree, Plain-brown Woodcreeper, a Forest Elaenia that thankfully called and plenty of calling Antbirds all tucked firmly away behind yards of dense bamboo. Late morning was spent determined to get the Coquette, and after a long wait we finally managed a female - great, but must try harder! Whilst waiting in the lodge clearing we heard, and eventually saw, Johannes’ Tody-Tyrant (these turned out to be quite common), heard Cinnamon-throated Woodcreeper (but never ever ever saw one. Ever) and had good views of a Plain-crowned Spinetail. In the afternoon we walked up to the canopy tower (a lot longer than the map suggests!) and encountered a nice mixed flock containing both Green and Purple Honeycreepers, six Tanagers (including Bay-headed and Yellow-bellied) and best of all our first Manakin - Round-tailed Manakin, with yellow pipe-cleaners for legs. Unfortunately the insects were utterly unbearable, so we retreated back down the tower trail picking up another giant Woodpecker, this time Lineated, and finally flushing a Ringed Kingfisher (posh Belted Kingfisher!) by the swampy area behind the generator. At dusk we took a walk around the lake with a Canadian birder called Mike, looking for Sunbittern allegedly in the area - yeah right! Back at the lodge we met 2 more birders - Per and Fabrice. Fabrice’s iPod had decided to die so he had no nocturnal birds for playback. Therefore we joined forces using my mp3 player and his 15 milllion watt Marshall stack speaker and went out to find some Owls. There were at least 3 Tawny-bellied Screech-Owls singing and soon Fabrice managed to torch one very low down in a tree. Awesome! Whilst stood in the pitch black looking up something walked under our feet - a Water Opossum. Niiiiice. But the real nocturnal target at Amazonia (not that we had any targets, nocturnal or otherwise…) was Long-tailed Potoo. We tried a bit of playback and almost immediately a Potoo called back. Only… err… it wasn’t a Long-tailed, it was a Great Potoo calling at the back of the lodge. We ran around to the back to where it was calling from but nothing. As we stood and waited in the dark hummingbirds buzzed close past our heads, so close that it became a wee bit disconcerting after a while. After conceding defeat with the Potoo, we all agreed to get up before dawn and have another go.

So we did. My alarm went off at 5, and just as I was getting up I heard the Great Potoo call just by the lodge. We met Per and Fabrice on the veranda and then went around to the back where Fabrice instantly torched the Potoo by the path. Those eyes! Wow! Seriously scary eyes! (Not Fabrice, the Potoo). After a few more unsuccessful tries for Long-tailed, I heard a familiar call in the distance. Familiar as I decided to have a listen to a few things the night before and this was one of them - Wattled Guan. A fantastic call. Possibly a fantastic looking bird too. But I wouldn’t know, as I never saw one. After an early breakfast, Per asked Miss Cole and I if we’d like to join them for the morning. This turned out to be quite a bit of luck as it materialised that Fabrice was a guide living in Chile and working for Gunnar Engblom’s Kolibri Expeditions. Sweet as! Mike had told me the day before that he found a decent sized swarm of Army Ants along the Jeep Trail that had a Black-spotted Bare-eye by it. Black-spotted Bare-eye was definitely something we wanted (not that we wanted anything in particular because, as you know only too well, we didn‘t have any target birds) so with Fabrice and Per we set off around the lake and back along the Jeep Trail. By the lake we had amazing views of both Spot-backed and Silvered Antbird and a nice Fine-barred Piculet, and then the next five minutes are all just a bit strange looking back now. There was a big splash; we’d heard a big splash the day before and suspected it was a disturbed Caiman (not disturbed as in wearing your deceased mother’s clothes and killing girls in showers, but the usual kind of disturbed). Miss Cole suddenly said in a rather matter-of-fact way “Err… what’s that?” I got into the gap where Miss Cole was looking and watched open mouthed as a giant black pig with a short, pink Elephant’s trunk and white fringes to the top its ears swam just metres in front of us. 'Someone’s having a joke, yeah?' I thought to myself. But Fabrice then said the magic word that I desperately wanted to hear: Tapir. Just metres away swimming past us. A Brazilian Tapir. And then… no… really? Yep, another Brazilian Tapir. This one even closer. And then they both got out of the water, walked into the bamboo and vanished. Just like that, as Paul Daniels used to say. Or was it Tommy Cooper? I think it was Tommy Cooper.

http://www.iwokrama.org/forest/images/tapir3.jpg

I was going to do each day in a long separate pargagraph, but I think that Tapirs deserve to end a paragraph for dramatic effect. Infact I reckon they should end a part. So that was Part 4. I hope you enjoyed it. Although I can’t say I’m all that bothered if you didn’t. Part 5 won’t be as good. Sorry about that. No I’m not sorry. At all. Afterall it’s not my fault. Actually it might be quite good. I’m not sure yet.

Last edited:
Great write up Tom.

I love Peru and your tales are bringing it all alive again!

(Some tales are def new to me but I can imagine them - you are so graphic!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back