• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canadian Rockies and Alaska (1 Viewer)

Ivan

Hi All
We are off to Canada/Alaska at the end of May for 17 days. It is a 25th Wedding Anniversary present to ourselves. We fly into Calgary and travel across the Rockies by coach stopping at Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Kamloops and Vancouver. We then board a cruise ship and spend 7 days going through the inside passage stopping at Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway, Galcier Bay, College Fjord and Whittier. We then travel to Denali then Mt Mckinley and back to Anchorage.
The information I would like is what sort of weather/temperatures can we expect? Are there any good birding sites not far from where we are going to be staying? Bear in mind this is our first trip to Canada/The States so all birds will be new to us. My wife cannot walk too far so any birding has to be done in easy reach of public transport. Also we will have limited time in a lot of the places we visit. We could book up for the shore excursions advertised by the cruise ship company but I do not like this sort of "tourist" outing. Although not a birding holiday I am taking my 'scope and tripod plus, of course, my trusty binoculars and camera.
Thanks in advance
Ivan

Hi Ivan...

If you love scenery your in for a treat. The trip through the Rockies is one of the worlds best for mountain scenery. The stops in Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise will be fun and will net you some great sights as well. Mountain Goats and Mountain Sheep are often along the roadside and even on the road as well as sometimes Moose and Elk. They may even be in those towns...walking along the streets.

The tempratures should be very good. There may be some snow on the mountains but unless there is a cold snap and a storm, the roads should be clear. Temp ranges should be 0 or slightly warmer in the mountains to 20 degrees C. for the most part. We here in Vancouver have had a great spring so far. Temps from 9 - 22 C.

While you are in Vancouver you can probably head over to Stanley Park. It is a 1000 acre park in the city. There is transit that goes into the park and I belive there is also a FREE shuttle bus that operates in the park, altho I am not sure what time of year they start it up. You can also take a taxi into the park, but I don't know how much a cab ride is these days. You can walk everywhere in the park and there will be plenty of birds to take in. Take some plain, no shell peanuts with you and some of the chickadees wil take it from your hand. There are also a lot of Eastern Gray Squirrels in the park, both the gray ones and the black ones.

You will see plenty of Gulls, Cormorants and other shore birds as well as Great Blue Herons. There is a big nesting colony of the Herons near the tennis courts in the park. You might even see some Bald Eagles as well. And a lot of little song birds too.

Prospect Point is one of the big sight seeing spots in the park. It over looks the Lions Gate Bridge and the north shore. You can see Ships coming and going and of course... more animals at that spot. There used to be a family of Raccoons there but again, I don't know if they are still there or not. there are so many places to see in the park if you have the time of course.

Be careful if you are on the seawall walk. It is a very busy walkway on a nice sunny day and the roller skaters and cyclists sometimes think they are the only ones on there and some people do get run over. It is a nice walk tho, the harbour, city skyline. You won't be able to walk all around it though if your wife has difficulty. It is about 10 Kms all round.

I can't give you any info on Alaska, but I know it will be very nice. You have picked a trip of a lifetime and one which most other poeple would be envious of. (including me)

Congratulations on your 25th and have a great time. Let us know how it all was when you get home.

Cheers... Ron

You'll be a bit early for the birding season and wildflowers in the Rockies but the scenery will more than make up for it. The weather is highly variable in mid May and largely altitude influenced. The ski resorts are just closing but most the valley bottoms are snow free. I prefer the scenery when there is still snow (when you'll be going through) as the relief on the mountains is more accentuated. Be sure to ask about birds at any of the national and provincial park visitor centers.

'If' things are chilly, don't despair. As you approach the Pacific the temperatures increase. The West Coast has a maritime climate but more pleasant than that of Britain.

Re birds and wildflowers in the Canadian Rockies: 'if' I could recommend a time of year for the best viewing it would be the 3rd wek of June to mid July. On the Pacific coast your trip is just about at the best time of year.

If you have a day in Calgary, there are several excellent city run parks such as Weaselhead, Fishcreek and Inglewood. In Banff, try to get to the Cave & Basin (slight elevation change in hike), or Vermillion Lakes (car birding). Also a few interesting birds right in the town of Banff including Common Ravens, Black-billed Magpie, and Clark's Nutcracker at the top of the Banff Gondola.

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Thanks all for the information. I will, now, have a better idea as to what to wear. As I said initially all the birds are going to be lifers so I will take it easy and let the birds come to me. After all it is a holiday:))

Cheers
Ivan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back