• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What time of the year? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
When is actually the best time of the year for birding in Peru? And if it differ for different attractions, when would be best for different parts?

thanks
Niels

I've just come back from Peru - left just before the earthquake. Went to Atacama desert (where the earthquake hit), ocean, Amamzon basin and high Andes where we did the Inca Trail. Saw wonderful birds - over 300 species. I am no expert but all the organised trips seem to go July to September.

Zarac

Between March and November is the best time to visit Peru, but I guided in a group of Germans in February and we have seen many birds.
If you need help write your questions.
Greetings

There is an excellent map site showing rainfall totals by month in South America so you can judge by country and month. See

http://jisao.washington.edu/data_sets/willmott/samerica/

I have heard that NW Peru and the Tumbesian area can be visited any time of year as well as the SW and W coastal areas. Manu, Bosque Unchog, Tina Maria, Junin are rainy during the northern hemishpere winter.

Last edited:
It depends, but in general the time indicated by Illapa is good, with an emphasis on the first part of that period if planning on the Amazon and lower east Andean slopes. This, however, means that you'll loose most North American migrants (mainly waders & seabirds), but I guess that's of limited importance considering your country of residence. The only big uncertainty is the relatively high frequency of El Niño's in recent years, which can result in things getting seriously messed up (compared to how it "should be" according to normal weather forecasting), but that's pretty much impossible to forsee until the Ocean temperatures start showing the abnormalities associated with the phenomena.

Thanks everybody,
the problem with El nino / La Nina patterns did hit the visit to Panama we just made, making the switch between "wet" and "dry" seasons happening about two weeks later than normal. ;)

thanks
Niels

Hello ... I am again in the forum after a month in Spain, now I am in Cusco and I've guided a group to the Manu reserve and Puerto Maldonado (Tambopata Reserve), it rains a lot in this time, then surely it will be from March good time to see birds.
Steve

Hello I have been in Tambopata and Manu and climate at the moment is not very good but I have seen many birds I think about 10 or 15 days there will be better weather, there are a lot of rain now.
Greetings

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back