Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RFI-Hotels near (but not in) Bogotá

Old Wednesday 20th November 2019, 15:42   #1
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

RFI-Hotels near (but not in) Bogotá

I am thinking of spending a few days near Bogotá this December, can anyone recommend a hotel (within, say, one hours' drive of downtown) that has good birding right on the grounds?

I ask because I'll be there without my own vehicle, and therefore relying on taxis; I don't mind using taxis some times, but don't want to absolutely need to take one to get some birding in.

Thanks,
PC.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 27th November 2019, 19:58   #2
kb57

I'm not sure that staying on the outskirts of Bogota is any great advantage - the key birding sites are either in / close to the city (Parque La Florida, botanical gardens, Monserrate) or demand a day trip outside of the city to places like La Calera. Also, within the city, getting around by taxi is cheap and easy - although for safety you should use the Easy Taxi app and book online.

I stayed at the Ibis, which was close to the hills on the eastern edge of the city, and gave good access to the funicular up to Monserrate. It's not far from the historic central district either. The botanical gardens are a little further, located closer to the airport, and it wouldn't be convenient for Parque La Florida - but it was a pleasant place to stay in a relatively safe area.
Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 16:33   #3
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

Hi kb57,
Thanks for the advice. The S.O. and I will be staying for three nights in Suba, a relatively green area of Bogotá, and taking day trips from there.

I was just interested in having a (different) place where we could wake up to a good garden with birds in it. We settled on a cottage in the hills near San Francisco, which is only a few km. from Laguna el Tabacal.

Would you recommend the trip up to Monserrate? I've seen some very good eBird lists from there, but also heard that the security situation is not so good. I am hoping to get to the botanical gardens at some point, while we're in the downtown location - is it worth a trip?

Thanks,
PC.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: