Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Can't find an eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A spotter

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 15th March 2009, 22:55   #1
greywolf

Can't find an eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A spotter

Hi, guys - I guess Fujinon no longer makes the Fieldscopes, or accessories? I cannot for the life of my find a replacement eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A Fieldscope. It has a long-eye relief 25x, and the body is a 45 degree angle. Does anyone know where I can get a 50x, 80x, or 20-60x eyepiece that would work with it? Or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks!

[email protected]
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 17:46   #2
stuart C smith
swansong

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Hi, guys - I guess Fujinon no longer makes the Fieldscopes, or accessories? I cannot for the life of my find a replacement eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A Fieldscope. It has a long-eye relief 25x, and the body is a 45 degree angle. Does anyone know where I can get a 50x, 80x, or 20-60x eyepiece that would work with it? Or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks!

[email protected]
here in the uk [ monk optics and gigrin ] sell them.

Last edited by stuart C smith : Friday 20th March 2009 at 18:01.
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 18:32   #3
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I cannot for the life of my find a replacement eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A Fieldscope. It has a long-eye relief 25x, and the body is a 45 degree angle. Does anyone know where I can get a 50x, 80x, or 20-60x eyepiece that would work with it?
[email protected]
IMO you have one of the the best eyepieces for that scope. The other one being the 30xw. The zoom is not very good, and 50x and 80x are too much for a 60mm scope. I had an 80 ED with the 30xw and it was a great scope, with the zoom that came with it... mediocre.

Fujinon had a good product with these scopes that were poorly served by a weak zoom EP and otherwise poor EP selection. I'll bet if you get ahold of a 30xw though, you'll be happy. Good luck!

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th March 2009, 18:57   #4
greywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
IMO you have one of the the best eyepieces for that scope. The other one being the 30xw. The zoom is not very good, and 50x and 80x are too much for a 60mm scope. I had an 80 ED with the 30xw and it was a great scope, with the zoom that came with it... mediocre.

Fujinon had a good product with these scopes that were poorly served by a weak zoom EP and otherwise poor EP selection. I'll bet if you get ahold of a 30xw though, you'll be happy. Good luck!
I'm going to be using the scope primarily at the rifle range for very long target shots, so I wonder if the 50x or 80x might still be good for me - don't need a large FOV. Are you saying, though, that the 50x or 80x (or even the 20-60x) eyepieces aren't good optically?
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 20:51   #5
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I'm going to be using the scope primarily at the rifle range for very long target shots, so I wonder if the 50x or 80x might still be good for me - don't need a large FOV. Are you saying, though, that the 50x or 80x (or even the 20-60x) eyepieces aren't good optically?
Ah hah, I see. You shooters keep infiltrating Bird Forum and without being specific about your needs, you get answers from a nature observer's POV.

Let me get specific then. I found the zoom not only had a quite narrow FOV (which may not matter to you), but the image degraded noticeably at 50x and above. Regarding the 50x (fixed) EP, it probably would work pretty good on an 80mm scope but might start breaking down optically on a 60mm scope, I can't be sure but it's my best guess. The 80x is way too much for a 60mm scope. You'll be in the realm of "empty magnification". This is where the image will be larger in size but you'll actually resolve better detail at lower magnification.

I know the military uses Kowa 88mm scopes for their spotters accompanying their competitive shooters. When you need high mag., you'll also need large aperture.

My brother uses a Pentax 65mm scope with an excellent XW10 for a magnification of 39x for spotting shooting targets. He tells me that with decent light he can spot .22 holes at 200 yds. fine, 300 yds. would be a challenge. He also says he wouldn't go any higher in mag. The 50x EP might work for your needs, I just can't say.

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Friday 20th March 2009 at 21:24.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th March 2009, 21:23   #6
mooreorless

If you are a shooter you might of seen this before, but if not.
http://www.6mmbr.com/SpotterReview.html

I have used a Meade ETX 90 scope to spot .22 holes out to 300 yds at 62x.

Regards,Steve

Last edited by mooreorless : Friday 20th March 2009 at 21:28.
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 21:27   #7
greywolf

Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate the information - you may have saved me some headaches. Though now I might have to start looking for another spotting scope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
Ah hah, I see. You shooters keep infiltrating Bird Forum and without being specific about your needs, you get answers from a nature observer's POV.

Let me get specific then. I found the zoom not only had a quite narrow FOV (which may not matter to you), but the image degraded noticeably at 50x and above. Regarding the 50x (fixed) EP, it probably would work pretty good on an 80mm scope but might start breaking down optically on a 60mm scope, I can't be sure but it's my best guess. The 80x is way too much for a 60mm scope. You'll be in the realm of "empty magnification". This is where the image will be larger in size but you'll actually resolve better detail at lower magnification.

I know the military uses Kowa 88mm scopes for their spotters accompanying their competitive shooters. When you need high mag., you'll also need large aperture.

My brother uses a Pentax 65mm scope with an excellent XW10 for a magnification of 39x for spotting shooting targets. He tells me that with decent light he can spot .22 holes at 200 yds. fine, 300 yds. would be a challenge. He also says he wouldn't go any higher in mag. The 50x EP might work for your needs, I just can't say.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: