• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is ‘Rhino Horn’? (1 Viewer)

micronesia

I’ve seen a reference to Rhino Horn in Chiffchaffs in UK. To do with pollen/nectar from more southerly locations.
I have no knowledge of what this is. Can someone please elaborate? I imagine it is some kind of growth?

Never heard of it and can find no, online reference but what you suggest, that it's some kind of growth, seems plausible?

It was my post that you saw on the Devon Birds site I suspect! I think it is just nectar gumming up the feathers around the base of the bill and it often looks as if they have a small horn just at the base of the bill. Never seen it on a local Chiff and it only seems evident in spring. Take a close look at all the Chiffchaffs you see in the next couple of weeks and see if you can see any.

And yes the photo taken at Margam in the previous post by Andy shows exactly what I'm talking about.

Would pollen do this or does it take a sticky substance like nectar to stick the feathers together?....

Last edited:
Yep, 'pollen horn' is better. It's a mix of dried nectar (basically, sugar) and pollen. A few days after arriving in a more humid climate like Britain, it washes off when they bathe and preen.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back