• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Emperor - Hampshire. (1 Viewer)

Fieldfare600

A male currently showing from The Spurgin Hide at Titchfield Haven NNR (pers comm Dave. Pearson), tussling with skimmers and Emperors over the pool in front of the hide.

There were two seen on different lakes (Ivy Silt Pond and Mockbeggar Lake) at Blashford today (14.07.19). A male was photographed at Blashford on 5th July - not quite sure of the location (other than resting in a tree)

There were two seen on different lakes (Ivy Silt Pond and Mockbeggar Lake) at Blashford today (14.07.19). A male was photographed at Blashford on 5th July - not quite sure of the location (other than resting in a tree)

It would have been nice to know this earlier.... if there's a story I'm always willing to listen and understand.

John

It would have been nice to know this earlier.... if there's a story I'm always willing to listen and understand.

John

Which of the two pieces of information did you want to know earlier?

I run a facebook group for VC11 (South Hampshire) Dragonflies and the 5th July record was posted there on 7th July - I saw it while sitting in my flat in Southern Spain!

The records from Blashford for today came through (a) iRecord https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/record-details?occurrence_id=10808720 entered at 16:29 this afternoon while I was drinking wine and watching Wimbledon and discovered by me after the cricket final was decided!

The other record was on Twitter @Bobservablelife about 14hrs ago. I don't do twitter but someone mentioned that twitter posting in the facebook group after I put FieldFare600's info about the Titchfield Lesser Emperor and after a little searching found the twitter entry.

The south Hampshire facebook group for dragonflies is
https://www.facebook.com/groups/612143192463909/

Just so you understand how I work - I go out in the field, when I come home I put my records into iRecord and then I put out the news into whatever forum I see fit.

If I was to find something rare (Southern Emerald, Vagrant Emperor, Scarlet Darter etc.) then I would, if I am on public land, put the info onto Birdguides.

Hope that helps

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the response. I did try to phrase the post casually as all too many folk go off on one before knowing the facts and I don't want to be one of them - perhaps I must try harder!

It was the Sunday stuff at Blashford (which is only an hour away in light traffic) I was interested in. Obviously it would have been a little late for scooting down there, especially given the ridiculous hours they keep.

I'm well aware you do your bit putting news out and I've taken advantage of your knowledge in the past to connect with scarce breeders in Hampshire. Although I don't do facebook or twitter I know RBA pick up whatever goes on Birdguides so I would get major rarity news that way.

Cheers

John

I've just received two more Lesser Emperor records from Blashford to verify (into iRecord through the UKBMS butterfly transects). From Ellingham Pound and Ellingham Lake on friday 12th July.

I've just received two more Lesser Emperor records from Blashford to verify (into iRecord through the UKBMS butterfly transects). From Ellingham Pound and Ellingham Lake on friday 12th July.

I had a Lesser Emperor there some years ago, must be good habitat.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back