• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron Kansas City Kansas (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
Pictures taken at Wyandotte County Lake May 11, 2015. What I thought to be a small heron on the opposite side of an inlet. Very shy, took to flight from human activity on it's side of the inlet. Lighting was heavily shaded but photo from two minutes prior of a Mallard in same lighting showed good color definition. My colors seem too bright for anything in the Audubon or Kansas Birds field guides.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 62
Hi Owen, yes, agree it is a Green Heron - one of my favorite birds! (Actually the ABA's bird of the year because its appreciated by so many.) Lots of fun to watch them.

Thanks all.

Hello Gretchen! The Guide to Kansas Birds ID photo doesn't look like this at all. Just by elimination and the Audubon Society field guide picture, which is somewhat better, that was the only possible that I had in mind, but it was so far off from the coloration either showed that I wasn't feeling good about it.

I would not use any of the state bird books. The Tekiela ones are so brief and exclude all migrants going thru the state. I have a Kansas book but only use it for info, not the pics. Use one of the national guides or the East version of Sibley or other E/W pair. All the birds in your (current, Kansas Missouri) area are in the East books. The West starts about the Rocky Mountains.

Night herons are difficult when younger, all kind of streaky brown. So is the juvenile Green heron.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back