• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (1 Viewer)

Number of Fulmar has dropped into single fiures over the last couple of days, however, the Common Gull flock has increased to thirty-six, and a couple of Black Headed Gulls have joined them. GBBG still numbering in the teens.

New arrival today was our fifth Great Skua of the year. Seemed to be taking a lot of interest in the Common Gulls.

Less birds about today. The Common Gulls seemed to have been unsettled by yesterday's Skua visit. Half the flock disappeared almost straight away, and that remains the case today. Only new bird arrival today has been a single Kittiwake, although it gave a good showing by landing on a beam about three feet from my head.

Yesterday afternoon saw the arrival of a group of dolphins. They were at distance, but I am fairly certain they were White-beaked. This ID is supported by my spotting of definite White-beaks, much closer in, this morning. Also seen yesterday were a Minke Whale, right under the platform, and a Grey Seal. Unusual to see three different types of mammal here in one day.

And one final new arrival this morning of note. A Red Admiral. :t:

Today as been the quietest day of my trip so far. Twenty-six GBBG, six Fulmar and a couple of Gannets. Over the last few days, I've had a mixture of gulls, including small groups of Common, a couple of LBBG, a couple of BHG and a single Herring Gull.

Apart from a juvenile Kittiwake and passing Gannets, the only other birds seen are Great Skuas. I'm averaging about one Bonxie sighting per day at the moment.

Also, there are dolphins still about, but seen at distance, so no definite ID made.

Roll on Autumn!

There is nothing like an, "It's all quiet here post", to liven things up. Less that half an hour after posting my last report, I headed out of the Accommodation block and was greeted by the sight of a small bird flying in towards me. It landed on a handrail about twelve feet from me, where I was able to identify it as a female Pied Flycatcher.

I only had my first offshore Pied Flycatcher a matter of months ago (see post #410), so two in the same year is extraordinary. :t:

I'm now wondering if this bird is a summer stray or the first of the autumn movement.

Last edited:
There is nothing like an, "It's all quiet here post", to liven things up. Less that half an hour after posting my last report, I headed out of the Accommodation block and was greeted by the sight of a small bird flying in towards me. It landed on a handrail about twelve feet from me, where I was able to identify it as a female Pied Flycatcher.

I only had my first offshore Pied Flycatcher a matter of months ago (see post #410), so two in the same year is extraordinary. :t:

I'm now wondering if this bird is a summer stray or the first of the autumn movement.

Well done on the Pied Fly. It'll be an autumn movement. There have been quite large numbers of Pied Flys in eastern Britain over the past week, though mostly further south of us. August is a normal time for them to appear as a migrant.

Well done on the Pied Fly. It'll be an autumn movement. There have been quite large numbers of Pied Flys in eastern Britain over the past week, though mostly further south of us. August is a normal time for them to appear as a migrant.

Thanks Andrew. It is an uncommon bird for us, with most North Sea platform sightings coming much further South than my location. That said, they may be under reported due to ID uncertainties, especially the females.

On Saturday, I received a report of a "small, lemon fronted bird". I suspect a Willow Warbler, but never found the bird myself. The following day, I received a report of a group of small birds seen on the Skid Deck at first light. Again, I could not locate them myself.

It looked like things were starting to move, however, since that last report, it has gone very quiet again, with the exception of a visit by a Collared Dove.

Over the last twenty-four hours, we have had light easterlies. I was sure that this would bring something, but nothing has been seen. Maybe it is still a bit early. I'm confident that if I get these weather conditions in a month's time, I'll be knee deep in birds.

There was an interesting seabird movement yesterday. I stepped out of the Accommodation at about 15:00 hrs, to see a large flock of birds heading south. They were predominantly Fulmars, but had a liberal sprinkling of Gannets mixed in. I counted 70+ Gannets in ten minutes. The Fulmars were impossible to count as they whirled about, but I would conservatively estimate at least three hundred birds, although there quite easily could have been a couple of hundred more. I concentrated on seeing if I could find any Shearwaters mixed in to the flock, but the only thing different was a single Great Skua.

The Common Gulls that were resident, have now moved on, and at the same time, our GBBG population continues to increase every day. We passed the one hundred mark today for the first time this season, with a count of one hundred and ten.

And lastly, I was taken to a dead bird this morning that had been found in one of our modules. It turned out to be a Water Rail. The body was dried out, so it probably arrived and died a good few weeks ago.

2018 List
1) Cormorant
2) Great Black-Backed Gull
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
10) Red-Breasted Merganser
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
18) Lesser Black-Backed Gull
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
35) Spotted Flycatcher (d)
36) Kestrel*
37) Pied Flycatcher
38) Puffin
39) Water Rail (d)

Last edited:
More Seabird Action

Things started quietly today. My early morning count produced thirteen Fulmars, two Herring Gulls, two Common Gulls and one hundred and eighty seven GBBGs. Mid morning, I started receiving reports that there had been whales seen alongside the platform. I didn't get to see them myself, but have recorded three Minke based on good descriptions.

Later in the morning, I exited a module onto a walkway, and immediately noticed three dark looking birds on the water, sat behind some of our GBBG's. The monocular revealed that they were Great Skuas. Every now and then, one of them would take off and dive bomb or chase a GBBG. While watching this harassment, I realised I was actually seeing four skuas, then minutes later there were five in view at the same time.

I've seen Great Skuas harass Gannets before, but I would have thought they might think twice before taking on a GBBG. These five birds however, soon had the nearly two hundred GBBGs in a right old panic. I watched as one of the Skuas grabbed the tail of a GBBG in mid air, flipped it upside down, then drove it down into the water before sitting on its back pummelling the gull with its wings.

Later again in the morning, after the five skuas had slipped away, I picked up on a couple more passing the platform. They may of course have been two of the original five, but I have no way of knowing. Also arriving late morning was a flock of seventy plus Common Gulls.

Ringed GBBG

First of the season in today.

History of bird as follows. First entry was when it was ringed as a chick.

CR-Code Black ring with white code: JU774 LBNW(JU774);RBM
Ringing Centre Stavanger Museum (Norway) Ring number 3022370
Species Great Black-backed Gull Larus marinus
Sex Unknown Age Pullus
Date Place Coordinates Observers Days/km/°
17.07 2014 Store Flateskjær, Kristiansand, Vest-Agder, Norway 58°03'02"N 007°57'42"E Wrånes, Eldar -
17.05 2015 Hirtshals Havn, "Ferjekaj", Nordjylland, Denmark 57°35'38"N 009°58'09"E Sandøy, John 304/129/112
10.06 2015 Hirtshals Havn, Havnevagten, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°35'39"N 009°57'45"E Pedersen, Lars R. 328/129/112
18.06 2015 Hirtshals Havn, Beddingskajen, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°35'33"N 009°57'27"E Østerby, Anders 336/129/112
18.06 2015 Hirtshals Havn, Industrikajen, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°35'33"N 009°58'20"E Pedersen, Lars R. 336/130/112
06.07 2015 Hanstholm havn, Hanstholm, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°07'23"N 008°35'46"E Pedersen, Hans Jørgen Bruun 354/110/159
01.08 2015 Hanstholm havn, Hanstholm, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°07'23"N 008°35'46"E Pedersen, Johnny Leo 380/110/159
24.08 2015 Hanstholm havn, Hanstholm, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°07'23"N 008°35'46"E Pedersen, Johnny Leo 403/110/159
18.04 2016 Hanstholm havn, Hanstholm, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°07'23"N 008°35'46"E Pedersen, Johnny Leo 641/110/159
19.04 2016 Hanstholm havn, Hanstholm, Nordjylland, Denmark 57°07'23"N 008°35'46"E Pedersen, Johnny Leo 642/110/159
16.08 2018 Tartan Alpha Offshore Platform, Great Britain, Great Britain 58°21'11"N 000°04'25"E Williams, Paul 1491/464/277

Attachments

• JU774 rsz.jpg
    JU774 rsz.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 25
40 up

Our fortieth bird species of the year arrived today in the shape of a Shag. :t:

Not much else happening over the last few days. The ringed GBBG hung around for a second day, but no sign of it yesterday or today. Dolphins seen again today.

2018 List
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
36) Kestrel*
37) Pied Flycatcher
38) Puffin
39) Water Rail (d)
40) Shag

Attachments

• DSCF1171 rsz.jpg
    DSCF1171 rsz.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 36
Migration Movement

It has been a bit of a disappointing trip, with only the Pied Flycatcher standing out. This morning however, there was a change. Before my shift started, I made my usual check of the Cellar Deck area. Even before I reached the Cellar Deck, I spotted a small bird flitting away. It had a distinctive white rump, but I could not ID it in the early morning half light. I suspect Wheatear.

Reaching the outer edge of the Cellar Deck, I started to see move small bird movement. It was difficult at first as the birds whizzed about, but eventually, I started picking out Meadow Pipits. Crossing the Cellar Deck, I was soon surrounded by Mipits, some flying inches past my head. The whole deck was alive with them. I'll report 30+, but there could easily have been more than double that figure.

The other change noticed today, is that the Common Gulls have disappeared overnight. Also, with the exception of one bird, so had the Fulmars. GBBGs remain in good numbers (155 this morning). Gannets passing regularly, but no Skuas for a few days.

Pipits

Pipits continuing to move through overnight. All that I've seen are Meadow, but you'll see from the attached photo what my typical ID challenge is. Not an angle you get in any guides.

Only other change were a couple of juvenile BHG yesterday evening.

Now I've got a chopper to catch. Next time I'm back will be the last couple of weeks of September into the first week of October, so I should have a lot more to report. :t:

Attachments

• DSCF1184 rsz.jpg
    DSCF1184 rsz.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 63
Returned yesterday, but nothing but GBBGs and Gannets about.

A Heron seen a few days ago though, so it makes the year list. Also, another Kestrel reported about a week ago.

Outlook is not good - Strong westerlies for the next few days. I need easterlies.

2018 List
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
36) Kestrel*
37) Pied Flycatcher
38) Puffin
39) Water Rail (d)
40) Shag
41) Grey Heron*

In at 42

I went for a pre dawn wander through the Cellar Deck level this morning, before my shift started. I was not very hopeful due to the strong westerlies we have been having, but I found a couple of migrants having a rest on a handrail.

Wheatears in at #42 for the year. :t:

Wind strength has died down a bit from forty knots to 30 knots, and it is more of a South Westerly now. I did spot another bird today, but ID was not possible. Just got a glimpse through a walkway grating. Not a Wheatear though as it was dark backed and had no white rump.

Record photo attached. Apologies for the quality. The birds were in a very poorly lit area.

2018 List
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
36) Kestrel*
37) Pied Flycatcher
38) Puffin
39) Water Rail (d)
40) Shag
41) Grey Heron*
42) Northern Wheatear

Attachments

• Wheatears RSZ.jpg
    Wheatears RSZ.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 67
Following yesterday morning's Wheatears, I also found a Meadow Pipit. The seabirds seen were GBBG (400+) and a couple of Herring Gulls, with the odd Gannet moving past, and a single Great Skua.

Today, I again found a Wheatear on the Cellar Deck at first light, along with another Mipit. The GBBG numbers have dropped (126). Gannets still passing, and a single Herring Gull seen, but in addition to yesterday's observed bird species, four Fulmars and a single juvenile Kittiwake recorded.

Still needing a good easterly.

It is mental torture out here at the moment. I'm watching as reports of lifers and year ticks pass through my local area back home, whilst the westerlies keep a dampener on bird movement out here.

Saturday had the usual staple of GBBGs and the odd passing Gannet. The only addition was a Great Skua.

Sunday saw high winds and heavy rain, with the only birds to join the GBBGs and odd passing Gannet, being a Grey Heron and a Herring Gull.

Today, the wind has dropped, the rain has disappeared and the wind is more from the south. GBBGs (296) and a single Gannet seen this morning. This afternoon brought four late Common Gulls, a Fulmar, a Herring Gull and a Guillemot.

Weather forecast is more misery from the west over the next few days.:-C

Storm Ali

Storm Ali passed through at the start of the week. Mountainous seas and high winds were the order of the day. The strangest thing it brought though was Swallows. Two seen by the nightshift and one by myself yesterday morning. I suspect they are not Scandinavian migrants, but rather birds blown offshore from Scotland.

Today there is a less powerful storm passing through from the North. One Meadow Pipit is the only thing different from the gulls, Gannets and Fulmars. Forecast is for the wind to change back to being a westerly.:-C:-C

More Westerlies

Westerly winds continue to destroy what should be the platform's peak migration period. Met office 5 day forecast predicts more of the same.

It is so poor right now, it's almost laughable. Highlight yesterday was a Herring Gull. :eek!:

Also, very sadly, the Guillemot that was around last week was found dead just after storm Ali. Kind of sums up September for me. :-C:-C:-C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back