• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia - RFI late May 2015 (1 Viewer)

York_birder_08

Adam Winstanley
Hi,

I'm travelling to Estonia with a few friends to do some birding for five days at the start of June (29th May to 3rd June). I've got Dave Gosney's DVD and I've worked out a rough itinerary, but as I've never been to Eastern Europe before, there are a lot of species that I would love to see...

As such, I was wondering whether anyone can recommend some specific sites for the following species... Some of these may be quite common, but I've only just started researching the trip, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hazel Grouse
Ural Owl
Tengmalm's Owl
Pygmy Owl
Nutcracker
River Warbler
Savi's Warbler
Broad Billed Sandpiper - is this possible?
Terek Sandpiper - again, is this possible?
Caspian Tern
Common Rosefinch
Lesser Spotted Eagle
Greater Spotted Eagle
White-Tailed Sea Eagle
White-Backed Woodpecker
Three-Toed Woodpecker
Red-Throated Pipit
Tawny Pipit
Ortolan Bunting
Booted Warbler
Icterine Warbler
Blyth's Reed Warbler
Thrush Nightingale
Corncrake

Obviously it's quite a long list, but any information would be really appreciated.

Adam

Hazel Grouse
River Warbler
Savi's Warbler
Icterine Warbler
Common Rosefinch
Lesser Spotted Eagle
White-Tailed Sea Eagle
White-Backed Woodpecker
Thrush Nightingale
Corncrake

None of these require specific locations, correct habitat should ensure you see them with ease (or perhaps a little less ease with Hazel Grouse - but I've been to Estonia twice in the last two months and saw both times). Corncrake you will hear, seeing them is tougher. Also not entirely sure how common the warblers are in Estonia, but in Lithuania at least all are common.

Ural Owl
Tengmalm's Owl
Pygmy Owl
Nutcracker

All widespread I believe, but not that easy to see - Ural Owl maybe the easiest on a casual trip. Nutcracker generally not so easy at this time of year, autumn it is a doddle.

Thanks Jos and Andrew - I'm glad to hear that a few of these species are widespread...

I wonder if I can put it another way - If you were travelling to Estonia for five days, which sites would you definitely put on an itinerary? At the moment, we're thinking about some the following sites (not in any particular order);

Near Tartu - Aardlere Meadows, Karevere, Jarvselja.
Altaguese Forest
Sooma NP/Nigula Bog
Haapsalu Bay
Matsula NP

Are there any others that you would recommend?

Hi,

I'm travelling to Estonia with a few friends to do some birding for five days at the start of June (29th May to 3rd June).

A small point to be aware of, NATO decided the heart of the breeding season would be a good time to conduct massive war games in Estonia - 13000 troops et al running around various localities in the first weeks of May. Should all be fine again by June, but if you had ideas of using a bear hide, you may wish to check with the company if the bears are back - at present, the bears have been scared off from the area with bear hides.

Hi Jos,

Thanks for letting me know about the Nato exercises - what an absolute nightmare! Given that the bears were one of our main priorities, we've actually decided to head to Romania instead. Adam

Hi Jos,

Thanks for letting me know about the Nato exercises - what an absolute nightmare! Given that the bears were one of our main priorities, we've actually decided to head to Romania instead. Adam

I should hear back today about the bears, so will update here accordingly. The Estonian experience is truly a stunning one, so hopefully you will gt chance to venture this way again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back