• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 day driving holiday from Tallinn to Vilnius/Kaunas via Riga (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
For years I've been trying to convince my wife (who loves the sun and warmth !) to go to the Baltic states for a May/June holiday. We're now considering a 10 day drive from Tallinn down to Lithuania via Riga in May 2019. Scenery, culture, history and birds ! My wife isn't a birder so I'm envisaging a few detours to any established tourist route to take in some good sites and then a few early starts with local guides while my wife relaxes in the hotel.

Can anyone recommend some "must see" sites to take in en route that would cover a lot of the local specialities for this region. Wildfowl migration at the coast and peckers/owls in the forests, bluethroats etc in the bogs would immediately spring to mind.

Many thanks for any help so I can start planning this. Off to Northern Greece for 2 weeks this May which was easier to sell due to the temperature !

Tony

I'd spend a bit of time around Tartu, which has some excellent birding in the vicinity e.g. Ilmatsalu (most warblers, waterbirds etc), Aardla, Karavere (Great Snipe). You'll see a lot in those places in May or June. Tartu itself is good for a few species e.g. Middle-spotted Woodpecker, Greenish Warbler and is a pleasant small city too.

I'd spend a bit of time around Tartu, which has some excellent birding in the vicinity e.g. Ilmatsalu (most warblers, waterbirds etc), Aardla, Karavere (Great Snipe). You'll see a lot in those places in May or June. Tartu itself is good for a few species e.g. Middle-spotted Woodpecker, Greenish Warbler and is a pleasant small city too.

Thanks Andrew - sounds good.

Vilnius is a beautiful city, and has some lovely old buildings too. I'm sure your wife would love them.

You'd be amazed at how hot it can get in Lithuania!!

Hopefully Jos Stratford will see your thread. He'll have loads of useful advice for you.

Meanwhile have a look at some articles in The Opus, which may help.

We will be making a similar 3 week trip in September and October, 2018. Landing in Tallin, then by bus to Riga and bus to Villnius. We are then hoping to rent a car and make our way back to Tallin, perhaps along the coast.

Birding will be a secondary activity after museums, galleries, cafes and just hanging out.

I expect this period to be in the winter migration period, is that correct?

Any coastal or wetland sites you could suggest? This will be my first birding adventure in Europe so it will all be new to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back