• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

capercaillie or grouse? (1 Viewer)

Batopilas

Capercaillie or grouse?
Spotted in mid Sweden
Thank you for your feedback.

Attachments

• 2018-08-15_14.41.33+.jpg
    2018-08-15_14.41.33+.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 231
Extra group picture

Thx guys.
I should have added this one right away, the picture is however not too sharp... but it may help in the determination.

Attachments

• 2018-08-15_14.38.20+.jpg
    2018-08-15_14.38.20+.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 197
I was concerned by the colouring - when I grabbed the book it looked like a Ptarmigan - that has got to be a great record for 'middle' Sweden...

I was concerned by the colouring - when I grabbed the book it looked like a Ptarmigan - that has got to be a great record for 'middle' Sweden...

As long as you keep well to the west, near to Norway, you may go quite a bit further south than 'middle' Sweden, and Tom Jones would still agree with me:

"It's not unusual"

PeterB :)

Ptarmigan are found at least as far south as Dalarna. It was a very long drive to Ålvdalen (spelling?) from Stockholm when I was there a few years ago but I remember being shocked to realise quite how far we were from northern Sweden despite the huge distance covered.

All the best
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back