• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please compare the 2012-2015 Trinovid to the new Trinovid HD (1 Viewer)

Thank you, just the bino to bino comparison I was looking for. I took my buddy in with a $1,000 budget. We limited ourselves to the two Trinovid 42's, 8 and 10, and the 8 and 10x42 Conquest. Neither of us wear glasses, so eye relief wasn't a factor, though I have deep set eyes and got blackouts with the 10x42 Conquest. This was for Eric though. After trying all four for an hour in fading daylight, to his eye the 8x42 Trinnie was the clear winner. That's when I asked about the new Trinovid HD which this store didn't have yet.

At that point the store dropped the price for the old 8x42 from $945 to $860 and the 10x42 from $999 to $900 even. I didn't realize the older version was much more expensive, and that this was a considerable discount. In reading various online reviews, they mention the new HD's using a slightly cheaper glass, but perhaps better coatings? Regardless, we both really liked that 8x42 so I bought it for him. I haven't tested them extensively side by side, but at first look that Trinnie is very close if not equal to my beloved 8x42 Ultravid BR's.

The store still has one remaining 10x42 at $900.00 if anybody is interested. I don't need it, have a nice Nikon 10x42 SE, but for that price I might not be able to resist.

Regarding the built in Japan, disassembled and reassembled in Portugal, that's weird, but Japanese optics are very good, so I wouldn't care either way.

You are welcome and I think you made a great choice! The Trinovid is a great binocular and truly one of the better made binoculars you'll ever see. I think it would be hard to do much better for a $900 when you figure all the variables. Not a whole lot of difference between it and my UV HD + either.

I have investigated the Trinovid HD recently (the testreport is published in Dutch on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor). Everything pointed in my opinion to the following: Like the Conquest HD's the new Trinovid HD is completely made in Asia, most likely in Japan and is, like the Conquests, assembled there, taken apart in easy to re-assemble parts, so the re-assembling in Portugal is an easy job and can be done quickly.
Leica is responsible for service and repairs. I am looking forward to solid facts that prove that our conclusions are wrong.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs:

I would like to read your review, but I cannot find that site, and so
cannot link to the test.

I am curious how you found the CA in the Trinovid HD compared to the
previous model.

Maybe someone could post a link in English.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry, post 23,
I am sorry that I saw your question so late, but Bruce gives the correct site in his post 24. The review is written for Dutch readers, so there are two possibilities:
-1- try a translation by Google translate
-2- learn Dutch, that is what I did.
Gijs van Ginkel

Using Google Translate (I'll consider learning Dutch a bit later) you get the main message, and as an added bonus the results are almost guaranteed to be funny, such as:
"The grip could be good if it were not the eyes of the viewer belt painful fall into the hands of the mouse".
Gijs: did you let a mouse try the bins?

Pesto, post 26,
Yes we have a couple of mice trained to hold binoculars and they are very sharp finding all kinds of crumbles worthwile to know for users.....
Actually in Dutch I wrote (and I will try to describe it for you): the attachment rings for the carrying strap are situated so that they can hurt, since they are located so, that they reach a very sensitive part of the hand just below the thumb, when you grab the binocular.
Gijs van Ginkel

Using Google Translate (I'll consider learning Dutch a bit later) you get the main message, and as an added bonus the results are almost guaranteed to be funny, such as:
"The grip could be good if it were not the eyes of the viewer belt painful fall into the hands of the mouse".
Gijs: did you let a mouse try the bins?

For mouse and Leica lovers everywhere you should note that the comment above was referring to the Meopta Meostar B1 7x42.

And, knowing Gijs, I am confident that no mice were harmed during the testing of these binoculars.

Lee

Lee, post 28,
We treat our binocular animals as if they were kings, since they eat all the dirt from the lenses after we have used them for a while, so we do not have to worry about the best procedure to clean our lenses.

With regard to the Meostar B1 7x42: if I remember well the attachment rings for the binocular straps were built so that they were not sticking out at all, but I can not check it right now since I returned the binoculars after the test.
Gijs van Ginkel

With regard to the Meostar B1 7x42: if I remember well the attachment rings for the binocular straps were built so that they were not sticking out at all, but I can not check it right now since I returned the binoculars after the test.
Gijs van Ginkel

Indeed the "mouse" had problems with the Opticron, not the Meostar.

Indeed the "mouse" had problems with the Opticron, not the Meostar.

Not so dear Pesto, it turns out that this hard-working mouse had issues with the Meopta, the Opticron and the Zeiss, and on the Opticron review it was joined by a European Canary:

Meopta
smooth concealed the viewer house eyelets for binoculars belt, so that those never painful fall into the hand mouse

Opticron
The grip would be good if it was unable to that the eyes of the viewer painful belt in mouse

You also want to avoid accidentally verschuift, giving you the risk is that you
European canary, you had never seen, blurry gets into the picture.

Zeiss
the eye for the viewer belt are positioned so that they not in the mouse of drop the hand​

This is a side to Utrecht of which we were previously unaware Gijs.

Lee

Lee:

Sorry to be argumentative, but
Meopta: "never painful"
Opticron: "painful"
The difference is clear to me, I hope you see it too.

I know this deviates from the topic, but it was really funny.

Cheers,
Peter

Lee:

Sorry to be argumentative, but
Meopta: "never painful"
Opticron: "painful"
The difference is clear to me, I hope you see it too.

I know this deviates from the topic, but it was really funny.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter

Now you are getting too obsessed by the mouse's findings, whereas I was only concerned with whether he/she had participated in the reviews or not.

Lets be honest Peter, we have no idea of the level of this mouse's expertise, although one would hope and expect that Gijs interviewed him/her before offering the employment contract.

Frankly I suspect that mice are more concerned with computers and a bit out of their comfort zone when it comes to optics.

Lee

Not so dear Pesto, it turns out that this hard-working mouse had issues with the Meopta, the Opticron and the Zeiss, and on the Opticron review it was joined by a European Canary:

Meopta
smooth concealed the viewer house eyelets for binoculars belt, so that those never painful fall into the hand mouse

Opticron
The grip would be good if it was unable to that the eyes of the viewer painful belt in mouse

You also want to avoid accidentally verschuift, giving you the risk is that you
European canary, you had never seen, blurry gets into the picture.

Zeiss
the eye for the viewer belt are positioned so that they not in the mouse of drop the hand​

This is a side to Utrecht of which we were previously unaware Gijs.

Lee

Folks,

In defence of Gijs, who's birthday is today (76 if I'm correct), he uses mice from Japan, Tsjechië, Germany and Austria. Except for the Japanese language, he speaks them all (incl. Greek,Latin, English and Dutch) so the confusion must come from the Japanese mouse:smoke:.

Jan

Jan, post 34,
I appreciate it if you mention my age and birthday correct: 96, so that is something to remember and my birthday is unfortunately not today, so I hope and I wish that your memory is not disturbed by all the reconstruction work you have to do. We have imported mice from another part of the world with long ivory teeth so they can remove mud from the lenses in case we dropped our binoculars in a muddy pool. They work hard and are musically very gifted.
Gijs van Ginkel

The mouse was on a zero hours contract, which is not really fair to the mouse.

The Meowstar was actually tested when somebody let the cat out of the bag.

Naughty Leica (if indeed true).

Who or what can you trust nowadays?

It doesn't sound like that great a buy anyhow. At least with a Chinese bin like my UK Hawke you know it's Chinese, ok with a UK design, maybe.

Anyhow the Chinese make very good bins now so where it's made doesn't really matter as long as it's good. I have several Chinese bins and they really are excellent for the money though having been an industrial engineer at one time I do lament the loss of manufacturing in Europe but there you go, bye bye jobs to China long since, hello poverty and unemployment. Once we become a third world we might get some crumbs back.

A myth. I did an audit in my house a while back for another forum. Virtually nothing was from China if you include every manufactured item from the paint on the wall to the things in the kitchen.
Found a couple of light bulbs and my laptop which were made in China plus some T-shirts.

Recent acquisitions:

Socket set made by Stahlwille in Germany.
Copper and leather mallet by Thor in the UK.
Screwdrivers made by PB Swiss in Switzerland
Various tools by Gedore made in Germany and Slovenia
Watch made by Sinn in Germany with Swiss movement.
Kettle Italian
Vacuum cleaner made by Miele 100% made in Germany
Angle Grinder made by Metabo in Germany.
Used motorbike British.
Used BMW car German
Nikon pro-grade zoom lens made in Japan.
Cooke Cinematography prime lens made in England
Folding knife made by Zero Torrance in USA
Carpet UK
Garden shears Fiskers Finland
Walking boots made by Lowa in Germany.
Shoes made by Crockett and Jones in England
Running shoes Asics Indonesia

It should come as little wonder then that Germany, not China, is the biggest importer into the UK !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_Kingdom#cite_note-12

I don't know where the Trinovid HD are made but I would guess it's assembled in Portugal from mechanical parts made in Japan. I was looking on one of the Japanese optical manufacturing websites and Leica was listed as one of their OEM clients.
The glass probably comes from Corning Inc. in the States and Schott in Europe to get that traditional Leica look.
The rubber doesn't look of Japanese manufacture. I would guess German. It's a curious thing, but European plastic and rubber found in things like Audi interiors always has an aesthetic the Japanese struggle to match.

A while back I visited the Schneider factory in Germany and saw the lens grinding and polishing operation they have for large format optics. I don't know if they ever supply the German binocular companies.

Last edited:
The rubber doesn't look of Japanese manufacture. I would guess German. It's a curious thing, but European plastic and rubber found in things like Audi interiors always has an aesthetic the Japanese struggle to match.

The appearance of rubber armour will depend as much on the finish of the cavities inside the moulds used the shape the rubber as on the rubber compound itself.

Your comment about Audi interiors is correct but VW interiors struggle to match Audis too. And again, the quality of the finish inside the moulds used for plastic parts is critical to the appearance.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back