• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I opened the box... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I actually opened it last night of course! Thankfully the Noctivid 10X42 was in there and in good shape!

The first thing I did was put them on my digital scale, 29.5 ounces naked and about 32 ounces ready to go with the Rick Young UL Harness snaps in place.

The plan this am was to take both the new Noctivid 10X42s and the SV 10X42s birding along with the EGD 8X42s I have become so fond of. It was not to be that way. When I arrived at White Spring Dyke this AM at 8:30 I had mistakenly pick up the new SLC 8X42. DRAT! However, at the 8:30AM hour and 14 degrees F, I strapped on the new Noctivids and put on my backpack with a Leopold scope and LW tripod and away I went. These binoculars would not come off until I got home at 4:30pm except for a picture.

The first time I put them to my eye and the first bird I viewed was a pileated woodpecker! What a magnificent bird! Focusing with North Face gloves on took some getting used to. Comparing the binoculars I have used lately focusing ease WITH GLOVES goes like this: Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42>EDG II 8X42>SV 8.5X42>Noctivid. IMO the focus knob just needs to be a little wider. There's room for the knob to come toward the ocular which would be fine. The second thing that I noticed was the HUGE FOV for a 10X binocular. It's listed as 376 feet at 1000 yards. I can name more than a few 8X binoculars with that amount or less! To add to the FOV advantage, the Noctivid seems to point naturally and on target. That's one thing I have found the Zeiss FLs do VERY well...my EDG II takes a little bit of "hunting" sometimes.

Mechanically, the Notivid is typical Leica. The eyecups have what I believe is five stops. Some might say there are four. With eyeglasses, I stopped at the first click "up" and it was just perfect. The diopter adjustment adjusts as only a Leica binocular can, precise and perfect. Objective covers are such that they will probably never be lost. I installed the clips to the Rick Young Ultralight harness without any issues. I had no issues with the neck strap eyelet OR the distance between the two objective barrels.

My White Springs Dyke trip turned out to be shorter than I had expected. Temperature had risen to 20 degrees but the wind coming off the Tennessee River was cutting to the bone. 31 birds later I walked out to the truck. The Noctivid had performed as expected.

Next was to drive the short distance to Arrowhead Landing. First birds I saw here were five meadowlarks. Beautiful yellow and black. Other notable birds were both golden and ruby crowned kinglet, yellow-rumped warbler, brown creeper, and hermit thrush. This was my first time birding here and I spent quite a bit of time walking and glassing. I got some good birds here. I'll admit, in most cases I would have rather had my 7X FL here but the 10X42 Noctivid did a great job considering the 10X and sometimes close quarters. It's still cold and never broke 26 degrees so again I'm quitting before I normally would. 36 birds later...to the truck I go.

Last was a drive to the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge visitors center. The main goal of this trip is to see all the sandhill cranes which I'm sure numbered in the 1000's and the hope of catching a glimpse of a whooping crane which I DID! I think three were spotted but I only saw one.

At the end of the day of course I'll give the Noctivid high marks as you would expect. I didn't compare it to anything, as I had left the 10X42 SV at home. I will say the FOV is breathtaking for a 10X binocular. Field flatteners be damned but this sucker is pretty dang flat to the edge of the FOV. The focus adjustment is smooth as silk with exactly the amount of friction I like which is slightly more than the HT/SF/Conquest HD. I would like the focus adjustment more if I would easily put two fingers on it as with a Trinovid/Ultravid HD +. It would be great if a little wider. Other than that, I really like it so far!

So....below is a picture of the Noctivid and the EDG II and I got someone to take a picture of me and the Rick Young UL harness and the Noctivid so you can see how the binocular hangs and it size.

Will be glad to answer any questions you may have concerning anything discussed today!

Attachments

• DSC_0560.JPG
    DSC_0560.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_3449.jpg
    IMG_3449.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 597
Wow, a successful (and COLD) birding day, Chuck. What a way to immediately field report the performance of a new top end set of optics, great fun and great job!! :t:

Ted

So I want to add something concerning the Noctivid's FOV.....

The figure I went with ABOVE is straight off of Leica's website pdf I printed out. That lists 376ft at 1000 yards as listed ABOVE. Some of the LITERATURE that came with the Noctivid list the FOV as 112M/1000M which comes out to 335 ft/1000yds SO.... Maybe someone can clear this up. I can measure it when I get a chance..... So I guess there is a little bit of controversy here. Either way I thought the FOV was HUGE!

So I want to add something concerning the Noctivid's FOV.....

The figure I went with ABOVE is straight off of Leica's website pdf I printed out. That lists 376ft at 1000 yards as listed ABOVE. Some of the LITERATURE that came with the Noctivid list the FOV as 112M/1000M which comes out to 335 ft/1000yds SO.... Maybe someone can clear this up. I can measure it when I get a chance..... So I guess there is a little bit of controversy here. Either way I thought the FOV was HUGE!

Common mistake w/Leica. Somehow they don't know how to convert from metric, which is almost certainly the correct spec. Has been discussed at length in some old threads.

--AP

The metric field of view was incorrectly converted on the US Leica website. For the 8x42 they made the usual mistake of converting meters to feet instead of simply multiplying by 3. In the case of the 10x42 they didn't even manage to get the incorrect number right. FOVs should be 405' at 1000 yards for the 8x42 and 336' at 1000 yards for the 10x42.

Henry

Last edited:
I am fascinated by this. There are not 3 feet in a meter. I understand there are 39.37 inches in a meter (rounded up). So, assuming the metric measurement of 112m/1000m is correct that means - the fov is 367yds at 1094 yards. If that figure is extrapoloated down to 1000 yards (1000/1094) the fov becomes 367x1000/1094 = 335.47 feet. Which suggests the figure in the literature quoted by Chuck is correct. Henry's figures appear to be correct but he would not have got that by multiplying the meter figure by 3.

I am fascinated by this. There are not 3 feet in a meter. (...) Henry's figures appear to be correct but he would not have got that by multiplying the meter figure by 3.

3 ft in 1 yd

112 m / 1000 m = 112 yds / 1000 yds = 3 ft/yd x 112 yds / 1000 yds = 336 ft / 1000 yds.

Simple to calculate, just don't start thinking. ;)

Last edited:
Chuck,
Thanks for the impressions.

How would you say the Noctivid compared in terms of color fidelity and control of chromatic aberration to the other fine stable of binoculars you utilize? I've always found the Leica's to have odd color rendition (not true to life, but very vivid) and not to control CA as well as the top of the line models such as the FL, HT, and Kowa Genesis.

Last edited:
Also... how was flare/glare controlled, and was there any freeplay whatsoever in the focussing knob-mechanism?

Last edited:
Post #6. This is a simple mistake which surprisingly shows up all over this forum. If post #7 is too ad hoc and brief the following might help. I think that if taken in carefully it will actually do that rather than confuse further!

Imagine the two straight lines extending forward from you, and angled outward, which mark the limits of the view. We see that the ratio of the width across at some distance to that distance itself remains the same for any distance. If the width for a certain angle is a certain value in meters at 1000 meters away then it is that same value when expressed in yards at 1000 yards away--or inches at 1000 inches away...whatever. Now, a tradition is that in imperial it is stated not as yards-at-1000-yards but feet-at-1000-yards (don't ask!). To get this we just x the width in yards-at-1000-yards by 3. If what we know is feet-at-1000-yards then to get yards-at-1000-yards we / by 3. Meters-at-1000-meters is this same (latter) value. To convert meters-at-1000-meters to feet-at-1000-yards, also, we x by 3.

Leica have been mysteriously getting the figures on their website wrong recently. Attached is the amazing set it showed for the Ultravid-Plus 32s with my queries and corrections. I emailed this to them and they quickly remedied it. Someone could tell them about the Noctivid figures; right now I am not greatly interested in the model: going by reports in this forum so far the Nikon HG seems to be more useful for bird observation!

PS. Thanks Chuck. Awaiting more!

Attachments

• luvplus4.jpg
    luvplus4.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I spoke to Mark (tech services at Leica USA) 3 weeks ago about the Noctivid website and .pdf FOV spec discrepancies. He was going to find out from their headquarters if the data specs were measured and obtained in meters (most likely) then converted to imperial measurement (ft\yards), or were they obtained in imperial measurements and converted to metric. Either way, one or the other is accurate and it appears that probably the stated m\1000m would fall in line with similar powered competitive FOV optic measurements (8X=135m, 10X=112m)!

With end-of-year and holidays, he said he would get back with me beginning of the year and have Leica corporate initiate corrective changes to the website and their .pdf data spec sheets! We'll see...

Ted

Another way to check the Leica ft/1000yrds spec is to multiply their angular FOV spec by 52.5 (the value in feet of 1º of angular FOV at 1000 yards). The angular FOV spec for the 8x42 is 7.7º and the 10x42 is 6.4º. Multiply those by 52.5 and the results are 404.25 ft for the 8x42 and 336 ft for the 10x42, in good agreement with the metric spec.

Henry

:-ONoctivid impressions thread captured by nine often esoteric posts on FOV - when quantitative blood is smelled here take cover.

Noctivid 8X42's show up at B&H yesterday from pending to in stock (below):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 8.44.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 8.44.10 AM.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
It is a curious thing but the manufacturers often get the FOVs wrong in the literature they distribute with their binoculars for people who read English. It is probably a combination of poor proof reading and a lack of knowledge of binoculars by the people who write and/or interpret the manuals of instruction that come with the new binoculars.

In determining the FOV in Yards for those who still measure those things in Yards instead of Meters, as Henry Link notes above; it is best and easiest to multiply the Angular FOV given for the binocular by 52.5.

Bob

Last edited:
Wow, a successful (and COLD) birding day, Chuck. What a way to immediately field report the performance of a new top end set of optics, great fun and great job!! :t:

Ted

Thanks Ted! Hopefully I'll be able to give a little more detail when I get time.

Congrats on the new toy, Chuck! Looking forward to reading about your impressions.

Thanks! Hopefully more to come!

:-ONoctivid impressions thread captured by nine often esoteric posts on FOV - when quantitative blood is smelled here take cover.

HAHA! After last nights Bama/Clemson game I should be used to it!

Chuck,
Thanks for the impressions.

How would you say the Noctivid compared in terms of color fidelity and control of chromatic aberration to the other fine stable of binoculars you utilize? I've always found the Leica's to have odd color rendition (not true to life, but very vivid) and not to control CA as well as the top of the line models such as the FL, HT, and Kowa Genesis.

I do better when I have something to COMPARE. All I had with me was a SLC 8X42 and the EDG II 8X42. CA...I really saw none but I wasn't really looking. I would say color was VIVID.. Eastern meadowlarks, pileated woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, eastern bluebirds, and cardinal provide a pretty good basis for color representation. I thought it was excellent...but then again I didnt have a SV or HT 10X42 to compare...

Also... how was flare/glare controlled, and was there any freeplay whatsoever in the focussing knob-mechanism?

It was overcast most of Sunday....so flare/glare of course I saw none. The focus adjustment was perfect in that regard. Zero freeplay, friction perfect.

So really..there was nothing scientific about my first outing with the Noctivid. The goal was to go birding, which I did. Number of species seen- 48. That's really very good for me on a cold Alabama day. It's also almost as if one needs to make a choice.... analyze binoculars or look a BIRDS! So I'm almost always gonna pick look at birds and analyze optics along the way...

Had another try today, 8x42, very nice in bright clear conditions, superb baffling, couldn't see the dof was any different to any other 8x, I can well understand many will choose it over SV/SF, me, if I was buying today I'd still have walked out with the SV.

Really looking forward to your thoughts Chuck.

Great write-up Chuck, thanks. I have to say, your first bird in those binoculars being a Pileated Woodpecker seems like a good omen for the Noctivids.|=)|

Thanks Ted! Hopefully I'll be able to give a little more detail when I get time.

Thanks! Hopefully more to come!

HAHA! After last nights Bama/Clemson game I should be used to it!

I do better when I have something to COMPARE. All I had with me was a SLC 8X42 and the EDG II 8X42. CA...I really saw none but I wasn't really looking. I would say color was VIVID.. Eastern meadowlarks, pileated woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, eastern bluebirds, and cardinal provide a pretty good basis for color representation. I thought it was excellent...but then again I didnt have a SV or HT 10X42 to compare...

It was overcast most of Sunday....so flare/glare of course I saw none. The focus adjustment was perfect in that regard. Zero freeplay, friction perfect.

So really..there was nothing scientific about my first outing with the Noctivid. The goal was to go birding, which I did. Number of species seen- 48. That's really very good for me on a cold Alabama day. It's also almost as if one needs to make a choice.... analyze binoculars or look a BIRDS! So I'm almost always gonna pick look at birds and analyze optics along the way...

Great to see some proper positivity for these fantastic optics #Noctovidafficionado.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back