• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4th Generation EL (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Members ...

So when are we going to get a new EL range ?
2020 I think...

What will it look like ?
This is my guess ..

Optics..
1. Wider fov.
2. Greater light transmission..
2. Less internal reflection from bright light sources ..
3. Less rolling globe effect..

Ergonomic's. .
1. Lighter
2. Larger focus wheel..
3. Better balance.

Wade on in with your opinions...
What would you like to see from a new EL range .?

Cheers
Tim

Members ...

So when are we going to get a new EL range ?
2020 I think...

What will it look like ?
This is my guess ..

Optics..
1. Wider fov.
2. Greater light transmission..
2. Less internal reflection from bright light sources ..
3. Less rolling globe effect..

Ergonomic's. .
1. Lighter
2. Larger focus wheel..
3. Better balance.

Wade on in with your opinions...
What would you like to see from a new EL range .?

Cheers
Tim

Sounds like the Zeiss SF....;)

But it will take some more for me to upgrade my SV:s.
If one could get that performance in a compact and lighter body (650-700 g)
I might consider it though.

Last edited:
All I'd really like to see different in a new 8.5x42 is implementation of variable-ratio focus.
Better contrast is _always_ desired in birding bins, so if that is possible, I'd be thrilled.
If the FP system is retained, I'd like to see the lugs modified to prevent 360 degree rotation (= twisted strap).

--AP

I'd like to see less pincushion distortion.

My wife and I both noticed this effect rather strongly, and did not notice it in another set of field flattening binoculars. As for the range, do people use the range finding when birding?

El Range

I'd like to see less pincushion distortion.

My wife and I both noticed this effect rather strongly, and did not notice it in another set of field flattening binoculars. As for the range, do people use the range finding when birding?

No they use it for hunting, you know, get the range of the target.

Andy W.

I think the 4th Generation EL's are going to be something super special, incorporating features never seen before....
Just can't think want there going to be though.!!....Lol....

Tim

I think it will be interesting to see what a new version will have. In my feelings the Zeiss Victory SF
has came out with a new model, that is similar to the Swarovision, except improved in several ways.

Swarovski will have to be careful to not copy Zeiss, and they are well aware of that.

Jerry

Swarovski will have to be careful to not copy Zeiss, and they are well aware of that.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I think Zeiss has copied with the SF rather Swarovski!
Visually, the Swarovski is still superior to the SF.
I have both binoculars in use ...

Andreas

I think it will be interesting to see what a new version will have. In my feelings the Zeiss Victory SF
has came out with a new model, that is similar to the Swarovision, except improved in several ways.

Jerry
the zeiss SF has to mutch plastic parts......

I agree ....
All of the major manufacturers have copied Swarovski with there open bridge design....Then the 2nd Gen EL had a flat field, increased eye relief, improved fov, magnesium shell and reduced weight . ....I think Zeiss got there first with water shedding lense coatings though along with incorporating FL glass..

I think increased Fov, reduced weight, better balance will be key to the 4th generation design...
Unless it's possible to create a modular design like the scopes ...Alternatively they might offer a zoom design ....But I doubt that will happen as I asked somebody in Swarovski last year, and the reply was very negative..

Actually Bushnell came first with the hyperbolic lens treatments, and everyone else folllowed. The Germans don't invent everything in optics, contrary to what people may believe.

JG,

I like your term "hyperbolic" lens treatment. Ruby coating with its purported advantages comes foremost to mind, but the various "Swaro-" prefixed terms are not far behind.

Kimmo

Actually Bushnell came first with the hyperbolic lens treatments, and everyone else folllowed. The Germans don't invent everything in optics, contrary to what people may believe.
JG, I'm pretty sure you're referring to "hydrophobic" lens treatments ! :brains:
Bushnell call theirs "RainguardHD" http://www.bushnell.com/rainguard
..... and as James said it was probably developed by an OEM (perhaps in concert with a chemicals company - Du Pont ?) - everybody has a version of it, so it is likely that the only thing that Bushnell "patented" (like everybody else) is the 'name' itself ! :smoke:
http://www.crsurfacing.com.au/coatings-1/
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20100035069

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back