• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One from Capitol Reef National Park, Utah, USA (1 Viewer)

OhioHick

Supporter
United States
Spotted this little guy (or girl) while hiking along the Frying Pan Trail in Capitol Reef National Park back in early October.

BTW, my guess is maybe a young bluebird, but that is really just a guess.

Attachments

• Torrey_2018_A%20%28801%29_crop02-XL.jpg
    Torrey_2018_A%20%28801%29_crop02-XL.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Thanks form the confirmation on this identification. This is a new bird for my list, so bonus!

Glad you like the image KC.

Why not Swainson's? I thought the spots on Hermit remain bold further down the breast, and that they become smudgy and indistinct like this on Swainson's? And although what little can be seen of the tail and wings looks warm toned, so does the branch its on, so could this be a warm cast to the photo, or light quality? I don't have experience of either species in any great numbers, and nothing lately (and Hermit hardly at all), so just asking as a learning opportunity rather than casting doubt on those who have called it Hermit; I'd hate to make the wrong call if I found either over this side of the pond (fat chance)!

Why not Swainson's? I thought the spots on Hermit remain bold further down the breast, and that they become smudgy and indistinct like this on Swainson's? And although what little can be seen of the tail and wings looks warm toned, so does the branch its on, so could this be a warm cast to the photo, or light quality? I don't have experience of either species in any great numbers, and nothing lately (and Hermit hardly at all), so just asking as a learning opportunity rather than casting doubt on those who have called it Hermit; I'd hate to make the wrong call if I found either over this side of the pond (fat chance)!

The trouble is, the breast spotting and face pattern are washed out in the photo because of over-exposure creating a more “Swainson’s-like” impression. Personally, I wouldn’t care to rule out either species on the sole basis of this photo.

Last edited:
The trouble is, the breast spotting and face pattern are washed out in the photo because of over-exposure creating a more “Swainson’s-like” impression. Personally, I wouldn’t care to rule out either species on the sole basis of this photo.

Ok thanks, yes that makes sense, cheers.

Unfortunately I don't have much more to offer in terms of photos. The one that I posted was the best of the three I have. But, here are the other two in case it helps. One is just a variation on the original one I posed (bird's head is slightly turned) and the other is the first view I got of the bird but could not get a shot that was in focus as it was flitting about (I carry a point-and-shoot camera, so I just take what I can get).

Attachments

• Torrey_2018_A%20%28800%29-X2.jpg
    Torrey_2018_A%20%28800%29-X2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Torrey_2018_A%20%28802%29_crop01-X2.jpg
    Torrey_2018_A%20%28802%29_crop01-X2.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back